Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7595
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting..ooops not any more :)" Previous topic | Next topic
shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Tue 29-Mar-11 04:18 AM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting..ooops not any more :)"
Wed 30-Mar-11 02:50 AM by shootersdesireIN

Indianapolis, US

I have to many fond memories of my d300. i'm not that all crazy about the D7000. I like the 4 user settings the d300 has as well. I don't need the video of the d300s So with that said its on craigslist in Indianapolis, IN.
PS. The error is in me not the camera. Aftewr further research i'm sticking with my d7000. Thanks for the imput...David

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)
dazman47
29th Mar 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
29th Mar 2011
Robman3
29th Mar 2011
km6xz Moderator
29th Mar 2011
Robman3
29th Mar 2011
billD80 Silver Member
29th Mar 2011
PAStime Silver Member
30th Mar 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
29th Mar 2011
shootersdesireIN Silver Member
29th Mar 2011
rlecocq
30th Mar 2011
JPJ Silver Member
30th Mar 2011
30th Mar 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
30th Mar 2011
Robman3
30th Mar 2011
Reply message RE: Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting..ooops not any more ...
RockyIII Gold Member
30th Mar 2011
Reply message RE: Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting to D300
31st Mar 2011
DeanAZ Moderator
31st Mar 2011
31st Mar 2011
glocke
31st Mar 2011
01st Apr 2011
richardd300 Silver Member
01st Apr 2011
visionguru
01st Apr 2011
briantilley Moderator
01st Apr 2011
02nd Apr 2011

dazman47 Registered since 25th Sep 2007Tue 29-Mar-11 05:12 AM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

RIP D7000, but you're going to a better place

Dave
My Nikonians Gallery

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 29-Mar-11 02:01 PM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 1

Monterey Bay, US

>RIP D7000, but you're going to a better place
>
If I had not already dumped my D300, I would gladly trade you for your D7000.

After a month of adjusting my shooting style and setting up the camera almost (except for in camera sharpening) the same as my D3,
I can say: for my use the D7000 is better in every way than the D300.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Tue 29-Mar-11 08:18 AM
1759 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 29-Mar-11 08:22 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Good luck,

I trust your comfort zone will be rewarded.

Two best machines on the market, the D7K and the D3S.

I will not need whatever the D4 will bring to the market at least for the foreseeable future..

Between the video on the D7K at h.264 codec, Adobe Premiere Pro's ability to instantly load any format without real-time conversion, and the D3S's FX ISO at nominal captures of up to 12,800, whatever the newest Nikon brings to the table will have to wait.

So I have empathy for your justification, the 300 is a very good device and I say go for it, on principal.

The quote from who ever listens to Ken Rockwell on the D7K: "the colors are simply better, especially under difficult light under which my D3 just doesn't look as good."

This verifies that MP construct but as I noted, using the 12MP D3S, makes the case that mo bettah pixels, isn't always.

I'm sure you'll be better off, and besides that's just Ken's .02 cents and my .01 cents.

Rob

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 29-Mar-11 02:25 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

How much are you asking for it?

I have not seen any used D7000's yet so have no idea if they are requiring any discount to sell. The D300 is fine so, for you, it is a good move.
From my observations, I wouldn't trade, I've seen just too many great images in bad conditions not to appreciate the much wider DR, lower noise and better color of the D7000. I am happy with my lowly D90 but will look carefully at the D400 when it is announced. If it is truly a pro body, with built-in grip and build of a D3, and performance of the D7000, I'm in.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Tue 29-Mar-11 08:41 PM
1759 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 4

West of Santa Monica, US

Stan hello,

So you have yet to acquire the D7K?

Worth waiting no doubt, for any number of reasons.

The D90 is excellent, having rendered valuable imagery which is now being garnered from the archives, and being woven into a project.

It was the only DSLR I had for a couple of years, before I pirated my savings to buy the D3S and D7K, which are calculated accquisitions, starting to pay off now.

The D90...it's still in the family if I need it and as you and other pros here allude, much of what seems to turns mediocre in imagery is pilot error and not a camera's shortcomings.

I wouldn't trade the D7K for another body, not at this point, but then I never hashed out the "blurry/soft" admonitions because I needed to engage an assignment once I bought it.

So I followed some advice I read about here, seems to do just fine but perhaps someday I'll take it down the road to El Segundo for a check up just in case.

Its always appreciated when you chime in Stan, thanks.

Rob

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 29-Mar-11 10:14 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Best of luck to the OP.

But really, unless there is a specific, gotta have feature, unique to a given body, in my opinion, the only Nikons worth leaving a D7000 for would be a D3x, and maybe a D3s, and a "D400".

The tremendous color rendition, resolution, High ISO ability, huge battery life, extremely fast User Mode access of the D7000 make going to the D300 a step back...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 30-Mar-11 01:37 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 4

Kingston, CA

>but will look carefully at the D400
>when it is announced. If it is truly a pro body, with built-in
>grip and build of a D3, and performance of the D7000, I'm in.
>Stan

Hmmm... now that would be a tempting upgrade from my D90! Peter

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 29-Mar-11 10:17 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Please don't feel sorry for us. If you're more comfortable with the d300 then you've made the right choice.
I had a D70s and asked this community to make some recommendations for an upgrade. D90, D300 and 300s were all mentioned and quite a lot of information given. I had decided to go for the 300s and mentioned this to a friend who uses Nikon and takes pictures for the local paper. He advised me to wait because a new camera was about to be released - the D7000.
I read all the forums here and other sites and was convinced that I should go with the D7000. Haven't regretted it! Any soft or out of focus pictures have been "user caused" - same as with other cameras that I've had. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Tue 29-Mar-11 11:45 PM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed 30-Mar-11 12:29 AM by shootersdesireIN

Indianapolis, US

Thinkin things over if switching back would be the right thing to do.

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Wed 30-Mar-11 12:37 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 8

Winnipeg, CA

My 2 cents worth of advice is at the end of it all you need to have pride and confidence in whichever camera you decide on, and it may come down to something intangible.

Cheers Nikonian,

Rob./.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Wed 30-Mar-11 02:30 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 30-Mar-11 02:31 AM by JPJ

Toronto, CA

>Thinkin things over if switching back would be the right
>thing to do.

You should shoot whatever you enjoy shooting, ergonomics do make a big difference to some people.

The d7000, using newer technology, has been able to improve upon Nikon's already great image processor to extract more dynamic range, ISO performance and great color/tone accuracy. However, the d300 also takes great photos, heck the d40 takes great photos. Ultimately ergonomics and specific features that suit you shooting style come into the equation. As a former d90 shooter the d7000 was right up my alley.

I would say that personally, if I wanted to lug around a camera as big and heavy as a d300, I would just make the jump to FX and get a d700. Similar ergonomics, but with the edge in image quality that the d7000 possesses.

The great things about the options you are choosing amongst, is that there is no wrong answer, just a personal choice.

Jason

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Wed 30-Mar-11 02:52 AM
#12. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 11

Indianapolis, US

Thanks for your imput. I desided to stick with the d7000 after all.
If there's a problem its not with the camera but me learning the features better..GO NIKON

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Wed 30-Mar-11 03:38 AM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed 30-Mar-11 03:39 AM by DeanAZ

Phoenix, US

Remember, this is a D7000 user group, not a lover group. We are not fan boys but users of a tool that is quite advanced and complex. It takes some getting used to. If it did not have any kind of a learning curve it would not be much of a camera in my opinion.

Aren't you glad there is not the kind of a learning curve of a high performance sports car where the new owner looses control and wraps it around a pole on the way home from the dealership? What's the worst that could happen with a D7000? I still have a bunch to master and I'm not too proud to admit it...

Good luck!

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Wed 30-Mar-11 05:15 AM
#14. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k lovers i'm defecting :)"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed 30-Mar-11 05:16 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

David,

All of us posting on this thread were offering our own thoughts if given similar a choice.

Take more time with the D7K, give yourself credit for learning it's ins and outs and after some time, then you can always make a trade later.

Specific issues, sharpness, color rendering, and so on certainly can be followed up upon, LOTS of help here at Nikonian's.

Things like using Mirror Up or timer to reduce possible camera movement when engaging the release using a tripod, even a light meter and gray card to establish particular ambient situations, not to mention the vast on camera attributes, picture controls, contrast, sharpening, white balance and so on.

I'm sure you will master the machine, as we all here seem to hope you will, but as stated you can always change your mind later on.

Glad you decided to give it another go.

HTH,

Rob

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Wed 30-Mar-11 02:12 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting..ooops not any more :)"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

I'm glad to hear you're sticking with your D7000. I don't need the video either, but most of the other features, plus the size and weight, are very much to my liking so far.

Rocky

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Thu 31-Mar-11 08:45 PM
#16. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting to D300"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 31-Mar-11 08:47 PM by shootersdesireIN

Indianapolis, US

I have an opertunity to get a d300 & 50 mm f1.4 new lens plus 2 batteries, remote switch, 2 flash cards with it in exchange for my d7000. The reason for the turn around is i can get 9 aeb bracketed images off the d300. I primarily shoot HDR. Take care

DeanAZ Moderator Expert nature photographer Nikonian since 28th Apr 2007Thu 31-Mar-11 10:10 PM
3707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting to D300"
In response to Reply # 16

Phoenix, US

We wish you the best. You have stated what I would consider to be one of the most compelling reasons to chose the D300 over the D7000. I only dabble with HDR and coming from my D40 even having 3 shots to bracket is stellar.

Dean
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Nikonians Team Member

Recent Trips: Grand Canyon 2012 Glen Canyon 2012 West Clear Creek

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Thu 31-Mar-11 10:54 PM
#18. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting to D300"
In response to Reply # 17

Indianapolis, US

Its a long story but i should of never gotten rid of my d300 last year. I tried to get it back but it was to late. The d7000 ia a great camera but for me it doesn't give me the brackets i need + i like the feel of the d300 as well. I still feel the d300 is the best crop camera ever made

glocke Registered since 15th Mar 2011Thu 31-Mar-11 11:56 PM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting to D300"
In response to Reply # 18

US

I came to the D7000 from a D90, and I wrestled with choosing between the D300s and the D7000 for a couple of months.

In the end I came to the conclusion that 3 bracketed shots in 2 EV steps is actually a pretty broad dynamic range, plus I've seen at least two workarounds to get 9 ev bracketed shots with the D7000;

heres one:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/nikond90club/discuss/72157621845876253/

and Ive seen another workaround where the U1 and U2 dials are used, which is the way I will probably set mine up. I really only use A or M mode so having these two dials dedicated to HDR use is not a big deal for me.

In the end I came to the conclusion that for me the extra cost of the D300s just to get the bracketing feature really was not worth the added expense, Id have rather put that money towards another lens.

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Fri 01-Apr-11 03:27 AM
#20. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting to D300"
In response to Reply # 19

Indianapolis, US

when i 1st went up to buy another camera i bought the d300s but when i got home and started working with it i was absolutely lost for some reason so i checked out what ken rockwell had to say and i went back and traded for the d7000. To my amaze i just never jammed with the camera. I could of manually of gotten 7 bracket images and true using user 1 but i rather have the aeb. Once you use a d300 theres nothing quite like it.I use to own one a year ago and i never really wanted to let it go but i was to late. Now i couldn't be happier to own the d300 again + about 500.00 more worth of equipment to go with it and only 16000 actuations

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 01-Apr-11 07:42 PM
3314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting to D300"
In response to Reply # 20

Dyserth, GB

Many posters will remember my endless problems when I first got my D7K last November. Especially St Peterburg's Stan and many many more after returning a faulty body I still had so many problems. I listened persevered and with help got there. I now take images which in my view are now superior to my D90, which I sold to help fund the D7K and of my D300 of a few years ago. Initially I wouldn't have rated the D7k holding a candle to the D90 or D300. Not perhaps so much my D700, but that's FX and a special camera in my view.

My problems manifested because I was using too low shutter speeds, over dependance on VR, especially when the light was good and now mostly use a monopod instead. I also had a fear of high ISO values. The D7K was and I couldn't accept initially a new breed. This has all changed and I now feel my D7K is the DX contender as my D700 is to FX in image quality and functionality.

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

visionguru Registered since 03rd Nov 2008Fri 01-Apr-11 07:57 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting to D300"
In response to Reply # 21

Chicago, US

>My problems manifested because I was using too low shutter
>speeds, over dependance on VR, especially when the light was
>good and now mostly use a monopod instead. I also had a fear
>of high ISO values. The D7K was and I couldn't accept
>initially a new breed. This has all changed and I now feel my
>D7K is the DX contender as my D700 is to FX in image quality
>and functionality.

That's very similar to my experience. I used similar shutter speed as I did with D300 and D90, the D7k pictures are just not as sharp. Then I bumped up the shutter speed a bit, the keeper rate improved drastically.

As mentioned in a previous thread, the higher pixel density of D7K calls for faster shutter speed. For those who feel their D7K is soft, very likely a bump in shutter speed can change all that.

I have D700 too, which I love, but D7000 is my favorite. The handling speed, control of D7000 is definitely the best Nikon I've used so far.

Jay
- Chicago Nikonian

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 01-Apr-11 09:27 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting to D300"
In response to Reply # 22

Paignton, GB

>As mentioned in a previous thread, the higher pixel density of
>D7K calls for faster shutter speed.

Yes, if you still view the images at the same magnification (say, 50%).

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Sat 02-Apr-11 04:41 AM
#24. "RE: Sorry Nikon d7k i'm defecting to D300"
In response to Reply # 23

Indianapolis, US

as much as i hate to bump my sencitivity on my camera i learned from the d7k to increase the ISO to 3200. Of course it will only use whats necessary...

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7595 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.