Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7594
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help Plz" Previous topic | Next topic
wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Tue 29-Mar-11 03:18 AM
775 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help Plz"

Charlotte, US

I have always used compact flash cards but am now seriously considering a D7000. I've read somewhere about a recommended "fast" sd format. Any advice? What do you experienced d7000 users use?

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Help Plz
ericbowles Moderator
29th Mar 2011
wmcy Gold Member
29th Mar 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
29th Mar 2011
JPJ Silver Member
29th Mar 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
29th Mar 2011
Pokol
30th Mar 2011

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 29-Mar-11 10:02 AM
8147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help Plz"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I use a pair of 16gb Sandisk Extreme cards. The Class 10 is the current standard. Class 6 will work fine. 8GB would probably be adequate for photography - and will hold around 300 images. The camera will tell you it holds less - but due to compression of RAW images, you will get 300 or so under typical conditions.

If you shoot video or a lot of wildlife, a larger card is more important. I shoot 6 GB or less of landscapes in a day, but for wildlife will go beyond that.

Card speed is most important with downloads. The write speed in your camera is pretty fast, and the card will not typically be a limiting factor.

Be sure you buy from a reputable source. Avoid eBay unless you have a known reliable vendor. There are a lot of counterfeit cards from unreliable sources. Stick with known brands - Sandisk, Lexar, and Transcend. If the price looks too good to be true - it is.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

wmcy Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Aug 2006Tue 29-Mar-11 10:26 AM
775 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help Plz"
In response to Reply # 1

Charlotte, US

Gret feedback, Eric. Thank you.

Wm.

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Tue 29-Mar-11 11:24 AM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help Plz"
In response to Reply # 1

Newburg, US

I use the same cards.

Visit my gallery.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Tue 29-Mar-11 12:26 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Help Plz"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Sandisk Extreme III was the fastest card on the market, emptying a full buffer in about 9 seconds. Sandisk's new UHS-1 card empties in 7 seconds.

This thread is a good resource: http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=4469&mesg_id=4469&page=

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 29-Mar-11 01:48 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Help Plz"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

I just got a 32GB Sandisk UH-1 card (45MBs) and really like it.
The transfer to Computer is very fast if you have a good card reader.
The D7000 seems to run smoother than with the (half the price) Patriot.

However, the 32GB Patriot LX class 10 SDHC card seems fast enough for most use.
Class 10 only has to deliver sustained 10MBs read/write speed to meet specs.

Pokol Registered since 08th Mar 2011Wed 30-Mar-11 11:38 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Help Plz"
In response to Reply # 0

Sydney, AU

I'm using 2x Lexar Platinum II 32GB cards, class 6.

They work well with both stills and HD video. Each card will hold just over 900 RAW shots or 2200 shots at Fine JPEG. For me I opted for a cheaper speed/class for more storage. I bought them from Adorama a few months back, now you can get the class 10 cards for the same price I paid for the class 6. These Lexars aren't as fast as the Sandisk cards but are considerably cheaper and do a decent job.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7594 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.