Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7549
View in linear mode

Subject: "Default AF fine tuning values" Previous topic | Next topic
dentalpiano Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Mon 28-Mar-11 01:29 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Default AF fine tuning values"

US

Dear Nikonians:
Newbie concerns (again)...

I've had my D7000 for over 10 days now. I have been riding a roller coaster of excitement/disappointment. Lately more excitement, as I have tried to follow the advices from other threads in focusing, camera holding, and more important, attention to detail in the settings of the camera. I also got the "Digital Field Guide" and continue reading.

Now, my two prime lenses (35mm 1.8, and 105 mm 2.8 micro ), have worked great from the get go. The 18-105 kit only so-so.

In reviewing my settings I noticed that the AF fine tuning values were set at to ON at level 6 as default. I changed that, first to value ON,0, then to off. I am not clear if I improved or hurt the end result, as the changes appear subtle.

What should the default be?

Thanks,

Dentalpiano

A chance to cut is a chance to heal...

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Default AF fine tuning values
Gamecocks Silver Member
28th Mar 2011
rasworth
28th Mar 2011
dentalpiano Silver Member
28th Mar 2011
RockyIII Gold Member
28th Mar 2011
focus16
28th Mar 2011
elec164 Silver Member
28th Mar 2011
elec164 Silver Member
28th Mar 2011
ericbowles Moderator
29th Mar 2011
29th Mar 2011
     Reply message RE: Default AF fine tuning values - Update
11th Apr 2011
dm1dave Administrator
11th Apr 2011
pjr Gold Member
11th Apr 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
11th Apr 2011

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 28-Mar-11 02:07 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Default AF fine tuning values"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Page 246 of the manual states "not recommended in most situations and may interfere with normal focus; only use when required". My camera came with it set to Off and default value 0.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

rasworth Basic MemberMon 28-Mar-11 02:08 PM
1191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Default AF fine tuning values"
In response to Reply # 0

Austin, US

My D7000, purchased new, had AF fine tune settings at 0 and off. I would assume those are the default values, although I could not confirm with either the Nikon manual or Thom Hogan's reference.

In your case I would be concerned as to why the settings were not 0 and off, i.e. potentially the camera was used prior to your purchase.

Richard Southworth

dentalpiano Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Mon 28-Mar-11 02:15 PM
76 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Default AF fine tuning values"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Very good point!!!
I got it "brand new" from Best Buy. I am going to talk to the manager there.
Either way. I seem to be getting clearer pictures now. Also with the 55-300 VR...

I will continue shooting and learning!!

Thanks again,

Dentalpiano

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Mon 28-Mar-11 02:19 PM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Default AF fine tuning values"
In response to Reply # 3

Raleigh, US

Have you checked the number of shutter actuations?

Rocky

focus16 Registered since 26th Mar 2004Mon 28-Mar-11 05:51 PM
66 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Default AF fine tuning values"
In response to Reply # 4

West Bloomfield, US

Hi Rocky: How do you check shutter actuations? Always wanted to do that but afraid to ask! Thanks

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 28-Mar-11 05:55 PM
1987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Default AF fine tuning values"
In response to Reply # 6

US

There are a number of ways to do it, but the easiest way is to download a EXIF reader such as Opanda or equivalent. The number of shutter activations is buried in the maker notes I believe.

Pete

Pete

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 28-Mar-11 02:45 PM
1987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Default AF fine tuning values"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Unless Nikon is taking the time to bench test every kit for fine tune focus before it is boxed, the default setting for AF fine tune should be off. Without careful and meticulous bench testing it would be hard to guess if a particular lens would need calibration and to what extent.

It appears you may have gotten a camera that someone else determined had a defective AF system and returned it to Best Buy for exchange. Depending where you live might mean a difference, but where I live once an item leaves the store and shows evidence of the box being opened and the product put through even minimal use, it cannot be resold as new if returned to the store for any reason. It should have been sold at a discount as an open box unit if this is truly the case, or returned to the manufacture as defective. Of course proving they did that could be problematic at this point.

Just my two cents worth.

Pete

Pete

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 29-Mar-11 01:55 AM
8523 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Default AF fine tuning values"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

AF fine tuning should have been set to 0. Off is probably best. You can actually enter a value for each lens, and each lens should be set to 0. Probably what happened was someone bought the camera and thought it was not sharp. It could have been a problem with their lens - or the user.

Generally the D7000 is pretty good and should not need fine tuning. It is an advanced feature that you should only use with excellent testing technique - otherwise you make thing s worse.

Congrats on teh new camera - it's a good one.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

dentalpiano Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Tue 29-Mar-11 01:40 PM
#9. "RE: Default AF fine tuning values"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Thank you all!
I actually did not follow advise, and bought a 2-year "black tie" plan that covers for damage, batteries, etc...
So, for now, I am not going to take any risk. I had to save for the camera, and have been putting a lot of efforts in learning how to use it so I don't get so many blurred pics.
I am going to Best Buy tonight, and just exchanging it for new one.

Thanks again all for taking time to answer!

Dentalpiano

dentalpiano Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Mon 11-Apr-11 02:53 PM
#10. "RE: Default AF fine tuning values - Update"
In response to Reply # 9

US

I followed advise. Got a new D7000. It is a like a complete different camera!!!
My pictures a 1000% better! Finally, I was able to take casual pics of my kids without having to stop and think too much, or wonder "Did I get it this time?"
I am going to start uploading pics!!

DentalPiano

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 11-Apr-11 04:34 PM
11306 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Default AF fine tuning values - Update"
In response to Reply # 10

Lowden, US

That is great news! Now you can enjoy learning you new camera.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

pjr Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2005Mon 11-Apr-11 04:52 PM
2244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Default AF fine tuning values - Update"
In response to Reply # 11

Manotick, CA

Great to hear your good news! My D7000 works flawlessly and is tack-sharp with eveything I put on it, right out of the box. Yours should be too. I think I like it more than any camera I've ever had, and I've had a lot!
Cheers,

Phil
A Canadian Nikonian
My portfolio: www.pjr99.500px.com

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Mon 11-Apr-11 05:02 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Default AF fine tuning values - Update"
In response to Reply # 10

Joanna, US

Great to hear the good news. You've posted some very nice shots and it looks like the beginning of many.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7549 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.