Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7464
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Autofocus Issues" Previous topic | Next topic
ewlarson Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Nov 2010Sat 26-Mar-11 03:32 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Autofocus Issues"

US

I've had my D7000 since the release, I have an occasional problem with autofocus. The camera drops into manual focus (apparently) and I'm unable to change the autofocus settings. Changing lenses for a moment seems to fix the problem when it occurs, and I haven't been able to put my finger on any sequence of events I've been performing that may lead down the path. It's happened with the my 70-300 VR as well as my 35mm F1.8. I was shooting backstage at a play, so it was hectic and I may have hit some errant keys on the camera, not sure

Has anyone else experienced this?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Autofocus Issues
visionguru
26th Mar 2011
ewlarson Silver Member
26th Mar 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
26th Mar 2011
billD80 Silver Member
26th Mar 2011
docimmer Silver Member
26th Mar 2011
ewlarson Silver Member
27th Mar 2011
rlecocq
27th Mar 2011
SantaRayl
17th Apr 2011
rlecocq
26th Mar 2011
eric leidigh Silver Member
27th Mar 2011

visionguru Registered since 03rd Nov 2008Sat 26-Mar-11 03:44 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Autofocus Issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

What you described sounds like "AF"/"M" switch had been accidentally switched to "M".

Jay
- Chicago Nikonian

ewlarson Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Nov 2010Sat 26-Mar-11 03:57 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Autofocus Issues"
In response to Reply # 1

US

No, in this case the switch in AF. And when it happens I'm pretty methodical about checking the camera mode. I check the camera AF/M switch, and switch back and forth between mdoes to verify operation. Checked the lens MA/A switch, and try to change the autofocus mode by pressing the AF button on the AF/M switch and rotating the command wheel. The camera locked in single focus point, no AF-A/S/C is displayed.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sat 26-Mar-11 04:20 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Autofocus Issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

Posting a link to a sample picture with EXIF might help.
The 38 point AF system is relatively new - it might be the new AF cannot detect some AF targets - if the AF is in AF-s the camera cannot then fire.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 26-Mar-11 05:14 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Autofocus Issues"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Has anyone else experienced this?

See if you can duplicate this problem by touching the lens release button while the camera is on. Not fully depressing it, just touching it. I seem to recall hearing about an issue related to this.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

docimmer Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Jul 2004Sat 26-Mar-11 07:32 PM
47 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Autofocus Issues"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 26-Mar-11 07:33 PM by docimmer

Eau Claire, US

Yes, I have experienced this and there is a thread discussing this:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=329&topic_id=2866&prev_page=show_topic&gid=2866#3660

I am now 100% convinced that the cause of this (in my situation) is that if I touch the lens release button - even very slightly - it turns the autofocus off. If I hold my hand above the lens - the knuckle of my left thumb may touch that button, and I have the problem. If I hold the lens with my hand below the lens "cradling" the lens, I can usually avoid this. I don't know if the sensitivity of this button is unique to my D7000 - or is universal. But, I do feel that I've at least figured out why it is happening. The fact that is happens more with certain lenses is a result of the different lens sizes, and the fact that I may hold them differently.

Since I've had this realization - I've found that whenever the autofocus is not working, I just have to move my hand away from that button and it comes back on.

I'd be interested to hear if this makes sense with what you are experiencing.

Steve

ewlarson Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Nov 2010Sun 27-Mar-11 12:14 AM
#7. "RE: D7000 Autofocus Issues"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I tried to replicate the problem this afternoon without luck, tried the lens release and various other combinations of controls. But thanks for all the ideas. Next time I won't immediately trash the out of focus pictures and will examine the EXIF data. And I'll try to remember what it was I just did. It's intermittent, and hasn't happened that often, and always resolved with a lens change. I'm sure it's a something like a communications error with lens, and the software responds by placing the camera in a manual focus only mode.

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Sun 27-Mar-11 01:25 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Autofocus Issues"
In response to Reply # 7

Winnipeg, CA

Interesting idea with regards to checking the exif data, I will have a look when I get a chance to see if I still have a a couple of "blurry" Montreal vacation pictures left. If I find anything I will post it.

Rob./

SantaRayl Registered since 17th Apr 2011Sun 17-Apr-11 10:41 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 Autofocus Issues"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I have a very early Nikon D7000 model and have been guessing that until I update the firmware (and get some software fix that's not been "openly exposed" by Nikon), that I'd have to live with erratic Autofocus issues. Today, 4/17/11, I no longer have those thoughts. THANKS to this forum!

Everyone, please understand that what I said above is completely been my personal speculation and that I have NO information that confirms it in any manner.

Figuring out what was causing my (to me very frustrating) Autofocus issue and even more troublesome has been figuring out how to "reset", "reboot" or whatever it took to workaround the problem.

This forum taught me that even a slight press of the lens release button while looking at "The Control Panel" reveals an instant change to the area showing your current Autofocus settings; i.e., it changes to a single dot with no Autofocus settings above or below the dot.

Ah, the first good clue as to what my problem has been!

I've discovered that my so-called-pro cradling grip of my 10.5mm fisheye and 50mm F1.4 lens comes very close to touching the lens release button. That settles the highly intermittent issues I've experienced. In other words, don't touch the lens release button in the slightest while shooting.

Besides the intermittent issues, I've also experienced another variation. The Control Panel is "stuck" on the setting described below as though you were still pressing the lens release button. With the new found clues, pressing the lens release button over and over didn't fix the problem.

What I found is any slight lack of the lens being totally locked into place was my problem. I think I was just being a bit to gentle with the force I used (hindsight tells me I must also be applying less force to my smaller lens) to twist a lens into place.

I've found I can duplicate the condition of what seems like a stuck down lens release button... with the camera off, press the lens release button and turn the lens like you were going to remove it - but turn it (by feel) the least amount you possibly can. Then when you turn the camera on, the Autofocus's worst condition appears: I describe it as Autofocus controls "stuck" and not working what-so-ever.

After I've duplicated the condition per above - the solution, in my experience, is to then "cinch down" the lens by turning it a bit tighter while watching the Control Panel and magically - the Autofocus settings re-appear and once again I can turn the front and rear command dials to select alternate Autofocus settings.

Please don't embarrass yourself by some quick response going through a list of "simple" things like make sure the "Focus-mode selector" is not set to manual. I assure you that while in my "stuck" condition I've tried everything I knew of to attempt a "reset" to no avail. I think lots of folks on this and similar sites, like me, devour manuals, third party books and magazines. Now that many are also available in .PDF format - I also assume that lots of us search those items (and of course the Internet), I do, when up against such problems.

I'm thinking that perhaps the over-telling and insidious factor of this problem has been my not being able to get un-stuck from time to time. Actions tried included switching to another lens and back & forth between lens; often not being able to get un-stuck. That seems to indicate that my propensity to not tighten some lens was a huge factor in stretching out the frustration I am now thinking is now over.

Rayl :{)

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Sat 26-Mar-11 11:33 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Autofocus Issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Winnipeg, CA

Yes I have had this problem happen only once, scared the #### out of me. I lost all autofocus,checked everything of course.
The only way I got it back was to remove the lens 18-200mm in this case and re-mount it. Bingo it came back.
I have not had it happen since.

Rob./

eric leidigh Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2011Sun 27-Mar-11 07:56 PM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 Autofocus Issues"
In response to Reply # 6

marysville, US

I had this problem happen alot the lens was my 18-200 each time i feel there is a problem with the d-7000 and it is in low light
i am going to send my back because i am tired off out of focus pictures

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7464 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.