Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7438
View in linear mode

Subject: "Additional warranty" Previous topic | Next topic
pjr Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2005Sat 26-Mar-11 02:35 AM
2244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Additional warranty"

Manotick, CA

Just wondering what the consensus is - I've got three weeks from purchase date to purchase an additional warranty - almost 200 $ CDN for three extra years, in addition to the standard 2 year Nikon warranty on a D7000.

Do most people purchase additional warranty? I've never had a problem with a Nikon camera, and I've probably owned a dozen over the years but the sales person says I've been lucky - ha!

Phil
A Canadian Nikonian
My portfolio: www.pjr99.500px.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Additional warranty
agitater Gold Member
26th Mar 2011
RockyIII Gold Member
26th Mar 2011
ericbowles Moderator
26th Mar 2011
PAStime Silver Member
26th Mar 2011
agitater Gold Member
26th Mar 2011
pjr Gold Member
26th Mar 2011

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 26-Mar-11 02:57 AM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Additional warranty"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

More info needed I think.

If the warranty adds two additional years of coverage and costs a thousand bucks (for comprehensive coverage), it's a rip-off.

If the warranty adds two additional years of coverage and costs a hundred bucks (for comprehensive coverage) it's a crazy-great bargain.

The best, most realistic value lies somewhere in between I think. Most aftermarket warranties are transferable, so it just adds value to a deal if you decide to sell the D7000 at some point before an additional warranty ends.

Which dealer and which warranty?

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sat 26-Mar-11 03:15 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Additional warranty"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

I've never had a problem with a Nikon camera that required repair, and I've never bought an extended warranty. I'd say I'm ahead.

Rocky

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 26-Mar-11 10:28 AM
8476 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Additional warranty"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I don't ever buy extended warranties with my Nikon gear.

Most problems will show up in the first year - actually the first 90 days or less. True warranty issues are rare in the time period of the warranty.

Most repairs not covered under warranty will be under $350-400. In fact many repairs will be under $200. The odds of an expensive repair get pretty low.

The camera that costs $1200 now will probably be worth $400-500 in four years. So during the warranty you will also have the option of replacing your camera - and might do than anyway. A repair would never be made if it approached the cost of a replacement camera.

Most warranties exclude damage through misuse. Impact shock from dropping cameras or lenses is the most common cause of failure - and it is not covered under most warranties.

Warranty company service varies - some are great while others create warranties to avoid paying for warranty work. I like being able to choose my own vendor. But then, I have several Nikon Authorized service companies available locally and in Canada that is a bit tougher.

My logic for not selecting a warranty is that by saving $200 or so per camera body, I save enough to buy a replacement or pay for repairs. Warranty repairs are infrequent - in fact I have had to repair just 2 out of 5 DSLR's. I don't baby my gear and have taken more than 100,000 images with these camera bodies in all kinds of conditions. One of those repairs was covered by the Nikon warranty and occurred within 90 days of purchase. The other was with my D300 and cost $320 - and it would have been covered by your plan. So out of a savings of about $1000 in avoided warranty costs, I've spent $320 on repairs.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 26-Mar-11 11:24 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Additional warranty"
In response to Reply # 3

Kingston, CA

Eric has captured my views bang-on. I've got thousands of dollars saved over the years on a multitude of electronic gadgets by not buying extended warranties. Consumer Reports generally recommends staying away from extended warranties on electronics. I hear anecdotal comments that extended warranties are a high profit margin item - that would tell you something. Sure, not buying it this time might end up in a net loss, but over the long haul I'd estimate you will be ahead by not buying extended warranties.

I do recommend you check in with your home/personal insurance for coverage due to theft and at-fault accidents. My view is that the biggest risk to a new camera is it getting pulled off a table by a child or smashing it into a steel pillar as you walk through a passageway.

Peter

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sat 26-Mar-11 01:46 PM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Additional warranty"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 26-Mar-11 04:50 PM by agitater

Toronto, CA

>Consumer Reports
>generally recommends staying away from extended warranties on
>electronics.

Consumer Reports is a great organization, but it has never included advanced digital SLR cameras or advanced DSLR lenses in that advice to the best of my knowledge. Consumer Reports has always included stereos, A/V receivers, point & shoot cameras, entry-level SLR/DSLR cameras, consumer lenses, VCR decks, CD/DVD/Blu-ray decks, MP3 players, consumer TV sets (CRT and LCD), game consoles, wireless home phones, cell phones, external hard drives, low-end laptops & netbooks, low-end PC/Mac desktop computers and so on - typical consumer electronics. Consumer Reports has always advised, in addition, to calculate the cost:benefit ratio of third-party warranty replacement or extension plans by comparing them against reported average repair costs over the ownership/warranty period. Consumer Reports has also acknowledged, without further comment, that the greater complexity of each new advanced device (presumably including the every-increasing mechanical and electronic complexity of cameras such as the D7000) does not necessarily mean a greater likelihood that problems will occur.

>I do recommend you check in with your home/personal insurance
>for coverage due to theft and at-fault accidents. My view is
>that the biggest risk to a new camera is it getting pulled off
>a table by a child or smashing it into a steel pillar as you
>walk through a passageway.

Well said.

So I think the longer any of us keeps and uses a camera before replacing it, the greater the likelihood of accidental damage, worn out switches or actuators, failed PC boards/components and so on. One does not necessarily follow the other, I admit. No warranty covers accidental damage in any event. For example, if any of us accidentally drops a D7000 into a stream, Nikon won't repair it for free. The same is true for extended warranty coverages. DUE is not covered by any sort of warranty. That's where personal property insurance kicks in.

That leaves only coverage against component, switch, mount, PC board, LCD, shutter, sensor, mirror and pop-up flash failure - which is a lot of coverage. The problem with deciding on extended warranty coverage for a D7000 - based on the excellent advice provided by Consumer Reports - is that, as Consumer Reports always puts it when referencing a new product, the D7000 is too new for any repair cost data to exist.

The D7000 contains a new sensor, a new TOGO board and a variety of other things which don't exist in any other Nikon DSLR body. On that basis, I'd advise that a third-party comprehensive warranty extension of two years that costs 15% or less of the net retail purchase price is worth it. Anything more is, IMO, not worth it.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

pjr Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2005Sat 26-Mar-11 02:36 PM
2244 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Additional warranty"
In response to Reply # 0

Manotick, CA

Thanks to every one for their replies!

Phil
A Canadian Nikonian
My portfolio: www.pjr99.500px.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7438 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.