Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #733
View in linear mode

Subject: "The D70s is still working great, but I'm waiting on the..." Previous topic | Next topic
Bluez4u Registered since 30th Sep 2010Mon 11-Oct-10 02:08 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The D70s is still working great, but I'm waiting on the D7000!"

US

Imay be one of the few who has a D70s still going strong, and just for having it so long, I was really able to understand it inside and out, and take advantage of everything it has to offer. It still has a lot to offer and I'm keeping it as a great all around 2nd camera. But I do plan on getting to D7000 as soon as it hits the rack!
It seems like new cameras come out just about every few months.
Being that mine was introduced in 2004, I'm looking forward to the change. Having the complete understanding of the 70s, and using it all those years, should really have me pushed into the AWE factor when the d7000 is out!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The D70s is still working great, but I'm waiting on...
briantilley Moderator
11th Oct 2010
MEMcD Moderator
11th Oct 2010
beemerman2k Silver Member
14th Oct 2010
sabbey51 Silver Member
14th Oct 2010
15th Oct 2010
enesunkie Silver Member
15th Oct 2010
Bluez4u
15th Oct 2010
15th Oct 2010
Nour
15th Oct 2010

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 11-Oct-10 09:26 AM
28754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The D70s is still working great, but I'm waiting on the D7000!"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians - it's good to see someone still using and getting good results from an earlier camera!

But... I'm sure you're going to be thrilled with the D7000 when it arrives

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 11-Oct-10 03:58 PM
25732 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The D70s is still working great, but I'm waiting on the D7000!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I use my D70S on occasion and it still performs as well as it did when it was brand new. The state of the art has advanced a very long way since the D70S was introduced. The performance of the D7000 will be an eye opening expierience! Enjoy!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Thu 14-Oct-10 12:20 AM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The D70s is still working great, but I'm waiting on the D7000!"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellington, US

My D70s just died yesterday after 5 years of great photo experiences. I placed it into my backpack and a can of soda burst open at some point in my travels. D70s will no longer start up. I probably took about 60+K pictures with that camera, so I know what you mean when you say you know it well. I had all my custom settings, like adjusting exposure compensation via the command dial in Aperture Priority mode, all dialed in. I also loved the fact that it was a 6mp camera as the RAW file sizes were nice and manageable in size.

I really want to wait for that D400, or whatever the successor to the D300 will be named. I expect it will be a D7000 with all the most frequently used controls mounted as external dials like on the D300 (metering mode, auto focus mode, etc).

This D7000 is what started me down this path. This is everything I wanted in that D700 and more, for less. This camera is sweet!

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Thu 14-Oct-10 02:07 AM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: The D70s is still working great, but I'm waiting on the D7000!"
In response to Reply # 3

Saddle river, US

Similar situation except for timing. My D80 died after being stupidly dropped on a tile floor in August, thus accelerating my upgrade by a year or so. I also damaged my 18-200, but that was minor and is already repaired at KEH. The good news is I put in a first day order at Amazon, so maybe I'll have the D7k "soon". The bad news is I've been without an SLR for two months. I really miss it!

I was also mulling a 300s, but the feature set of the 7k seems close enough to everything I need that it's the better choice. The 300s has a coupla more real buttons than the 7k, and the 400 will most likely as well, but the video is a plus for me as I'm only an occassional video'er and have no interest in carrying a camcorder. I'm also excited by the two custom mode settings, which will allow me to set one for landscape and one for grandchildren. Then change to "A" when I hand off to someone else. The smaller size is also attractive; as much as I like the macho look of the bigger cameras, and can always appreciate more buttons, I like the ease of carrying the smaller ones.

I borrowed a D60 for a foliage weekend in Vermont, and spent half a day figuring out how to use it properly. Although all of the cameras in the line are similar, the differences are enough to make you nuts if you're not ready for them (little things like shutter release mode reseting after each shot on the 60, and having to use a shift key to set the apeture with the single wheel). Aside from that, I've been shooting with my S90 and mostly getting by, except when chasing the grandkids. They just move to fast for the focus on the P&S.

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Fri 15-Oct-10 01:44 AM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The D70s is still working great, but I'm waiting on the D7000!"
In response to Reply # 4

Ellington, US

Whoa, hold the phone, baby! I came home tonight to see my D70s display reading out 1.2. What? This camera was dead when I last saw it, why is it now reading out remaining pictures available on the CF card? So what if I turn it...ON! Wow, it actually powered on! I point it at something, as usual I forget the lens cap is on so I remove it, the readings all seem normal, SNAP, Wow it works! I don't know why or how, but it works!

I was really missing my camera, but it's back! Unreal.

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

enesunkie Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Apr 2008Fri 15-Oct-10 02:50 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: The D70s is still working great, but I'm waiting on the D7000!"
In response to Reply # 4

Buffalo, US

"little things like shutter release mode reseting after each shot on the 60"

As a D60 owner I can tell you, some of those little thinks don't get any better with time, they just keep on annoying you.

Kurt

Bluez4u Registered since 30th Sep 2010Fri 15-Oct-10 03:41 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: The D70s is still working great, but I'm waiting on the D7000!"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thats Great that it's still working. I was origionally thinking of selling mine to help come up with the money for a 7000 when they are available, but after some thought and seeing what they are selling for, I'm going to keep her. It's still a great camera for what it is. With it's flexability, I can't afford to not keep her.
Cheers!

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Fri 15-Oct-10 07:43 AM
#8. "RE: The D70s is still working great, but I'm waiting on the D7000!"
In response to Reply # 7

Ellington, US

I actually tried selling my D70s on Craigslist so I could buy a D300 when that camera came out, but all the riff-raff responses lead me to pull the ad and continue on with my current camera. Now, there's no way I'll ever sell this Nikon as it's worth far more to me than it is to anyone else on the open market.

Sabbey51: here's what you do, browse the net pricing the new D7000 and start looking up stats on the new D400. Your D80 will realize you don't care that it's dead and it will suddenly wake right up! Trust me, it works...

Beemerman2k
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Nour Registered since 20th Oct 2006Fri 15-Oct-10 11:05 PM
72 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: The D70s is still working great, but I'm waiting on the D7000!"
In response to Reply # 0

Cairo, EG

My D70s died one month ago after serving for 5 years, and I am repairing it and have faith it will come back.
I am still working with my D200 for over three years now and I am very happy with it, but I am also waiting for a D700 successor and inversting on FX glass.
I am sure the D7000 will stay with you for so long, from what I hear about it, it is great.

Nour El Refai
www.nourelrefai.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #733 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.