Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7326
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon D7000 Exposure Meter Missing In Live View?" Previous topic | Next topic
hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Wed 23-Mar-11 06:12 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon D7000 Exposure Meter Missing In Live View?"

Lincoln, US

Hi Folks,

I recently watched a video on Adorama Tv with Mark Wallace. In it he was using a D3S in Live View Mode and when he adjusted the shutter and aperture I could see it on the meter in the right hand side of the LCD,as well as seeing the numbers changing.

I've put my D7000 and D300 in Live View and while the shutter and aperture settings are visible, I have no meter in either of them. Is this function only available on the D3S?

Regards,

Jim

Visit `My Nikonians gallery` WWW.JMHAMMONDPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon D7000 Exposure Meter Missing In Live View?
dm1dave Administrator
24th Mar 2011
hamjam Silver Member
24th Mar 2011
Matt Payne
24th Mar 2011
Robman3
25th Mar 2011

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 24-Mar-11 01:17 AM
11310 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon D7000 Exposure Meter Missing In Live View?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

As far as I can tell feature is not available on the D7000, D300 or D300s.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

hamjam Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Oct 2008Thu 24-Mar-11 01:57 PM
254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon D7000 Exposure Meter Missing In Live View?"
In response to Reply # 1

Lincoln, US

Dave,

Many thanks, I thought that might be the case.

Jim

Visit `My Nikonians gallery` WWW.JMHAMMONDPHOTOGRAPHY.COM.

Matt Payne Registered since 01st Mar 2011Thu 24-Mar-11 05:56 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon D7000 Exposure Meter Missing In Live View?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

This was the single most disappointing thing about my new D7000. Even my old Sony DSC-828 had this built in, and it was 7 years old. Oh well.

-----------------------------------------------------
Kind regards,
Matt Payne

My current gear: Nikon D7000, 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens

Webmaster http://www.100summits.com

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Fri 25-Mar-11 05:08 AM
1761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon D7000 Exposure Meter Missing In Live View?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 25-Mar-11 05:09 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Jim,

This is a feature on the D3S and not on the D7K to reiterate the other folks.

The drawback then, for me, is getting a nominal setting in the h.264/MPEG4 codec on the D7K which is the reason we invested in two of them, for video.

This means we need to reset, test shoot and make appropriate lens choices, lean towards neutral picture control, and so on.

I've absorbed the very in depth tutorials on the DSLR thread, plus watched many a web training video and resolve to conclude that yes, some features are missing from the two bods which is unfortunate.

The bright side is if I had waited around for Nikon to step up with the next generation, I would have missed a TON of content.

Sure the D90 was simply good enough at, for some things, and way short on others.

I guess I'll be happy when the D4 hits or whatever it is to know, the best low light camera will still be the D3S even with the HD video at .mov and 720, and that the D7K will still be the first generation Nikon native h.264 platform, which at 16MP has no shame because video is an entirely different medium.

Lighting, incidence meters, reflectors, sand bags, the list is endless but each time out there is improvement so I'm glad I didn't wait around for the in view metering but yes, I agree it's been overlooked on the machine.

Thanks and good luck,

Rob

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7326 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.