Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7324
View in linear mode

Subject: "Would you consider this a good deal..?" Previous topic | Next topic
Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Wed 23-Mar-11 05:44 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Would you consider this a good deal..?"

US

I'm looking for a tripod for my D7000, and i found a combo deal and wanted to get peoples thoughts.
Nikon 50 1.4D
486 Manfratto ballhead
Manfrotto 3001N
All three of those items for 400 bucks.
Thoughts?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Would you consider this a good deal..?
briantilley Moderator
23rd Mar 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
23rd Mar 2011
Rick_Smith
23rd Mar 2011
23rd Mar 2011
Rick_Smith
23rd Mar 2011
23rd Mar 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
23rd Mar 2011
briantilley Moderator
23rd Mar 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
24th Mar 2011

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 23-Mar-11 06:28 PM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Would you consider this a good deal..?"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

I'm not well-informed on US prices, but if you're looking for feedback on the quality of the tripod and head, you'd be better off asking in our Tripods, Heads and Support Forum.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Wed 23-Mar-11 06:39 PM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Would you consider this a good deal..?"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

I would just go for the camera and lens combo. The other stuff is not adequate for the equipment you already have and you'll just end up spending more to replace it. I'd go into more detail, but Brian would justifiably beat me up. Please do ask about the tripod in the tripod forum.

Visit my gallery.

Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Wed 23-Mar-11 06:50 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Would you consider this a good deal..?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>I would just go for the camera and lens combo. The other
>stuff is not adequate for the equipment you already have and
>you'll just end up spending more to replace it. I'd go into
>more detail, but Brian would justifiably beat me up. Please
>do ask about the tripod in the tripod forum.

huh? im confused. there is no camera and lens combo. the guy is selling me those 3 items for 400.....

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Wed 23-Mar-11 07:10 PM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Would you consider this a good deal..?"
In response to Reply # 3
Wed 23-Mar-11 07:14 PM by chris_platt

Newburg, US

Yes, sorry I didn't read your post properly. I'm suggesting two of those items won't be very useful to you so if you can purchase just the lens , I would go for that. Or ask the person who is offering the package to give you another price without the tripod and ball head. If you don't want a lens and just wanted a tripod, you're not getting a good deal. The lens can be had new for a little over $300 and used for around $200 on eBay.

Visit my gallery.

Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Wed 23-Mar-11 07:12 PM
#5. "RE: Would you consider this a good deal..?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I'm suggesting two of those items
>won't be very useful to you so if you can find a combo
>somewhere else with just the lens and the camera - or
>separately, I would go for that. Or ask the person who is
>offering the package to give you another price without the
>tripod and ball head. The lens can be had new for a little
>over $300, and used for about $200.

Ok cool! I already own the camera so there isn't any combo deal for a camera and a lens. I have a 18-200 and a 35 1.8 as is that I use with my D7000. I just didn't want to miss a good deal (if that was one!)

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Wed 23-Mar-11 07:15 PM
#6. "RE: Would you consider this a good deal..?"
In response to Reply # 5

Newburg, US

Great. Save that $400 and run to the tripod forum and ask for advice. You'll get some great answers.

Visit my gallery.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 23-Mar-11 07:19 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Would you consider this a good deal..?"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

I would visit Manfratto on-line and use their guide to determine if the weight of your camera and lens would be adequately handled by the head and tripod. No sense in getting something for a bargain and find out it's not what you need.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 23-Mar-11 09:10 PM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Would you consider this a good deal..?"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, GB

You're right, but I would ask the question in our Tripods Forum - manufacturers' load capacity figures can be a little "theoretical", and I find that real-world experience with the equipment counts for more

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Thu 24-Mar-11 12:07 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Would you consider this a good deal..?"
In response to Reply # 8

Joanna, US

Brian,

What you say is so true. By combining what the manufacturer "suggests" along with ideas from the forum, a workable combination will surely result.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7324 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.