Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7262
View in linear mode

Subject: "Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!" Previous topic | Next topic
sburke Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Tue 22-Mar-11 02:56 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"

US

I am just ordering a new D7000 after much research and contemplation on the subject. Along with it, I am purchasing an 18-105 and a 50mm 1.8D lenses. I have had a strong passion for photography for a long time and have used others' equipment before, but this will be my first DSLR. I am a mom to two young children, ages 28 months and 12 months, and since I have had them, I've wished I had a nice camera to react quick enough for the many shots I see in my head. Up until this past Christmas, I worked with an extremely slow and dated Canon Powershot with a tiny 1 inch LCD that literally took about 30 seconds of holding down the button to get the shot. For Christmas I wanted to at least get a nice point and shoot for compact use, so I got a Nikon Coolpix S4000. This one is much better and delivers much crisper images, but still is painstakingly slow for a hyper 2 year old boy. I end up getting his back or a blur of him in the far corner of the picture and must go through hundreds of shots to get one that is decent of both kids!

Any help would be appreciated from those of you who are professionals or avid enthusiasts so that I can get great images of my kids, family and travel.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!
briantilley Moderator
22nd Mar 2011
egmonster Gold Member
22nd Mar 2011
sburke
24th Mar 2011
billD80 Silver Member
22nd Mar 2011
amolsan
29th Mar 2011
Wapusk Silver Member
22nd Mar 2011
wesmannmsu Silver Member
22nd Mar 2011
lexkie_27
22nd Mar 2011
RockyIII Gold Member
23rd Mar 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
23rd Mar 2011
ozzy1
23rd Mar 2011
egmonster Gold Member
23rd Mar 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
24th Mar 2011
wesmannmsu Silver Member
23rd Mar 2011
amolsan
29th Mar 2011
Cheryse Silver Member
24th Mar 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
24th Mar 2011
sburke
24th Mar 2011
Coldfront Silver Member
30th Mar 2011
amolsan
31st Mar 2011

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 22-Mar-11 08:13 AM
28687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome to Nikonians and to the D7000 Forum, Schyler

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

egmonster Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2011Tue 22-Mar-11 09:08 AM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 0

Egmont, CA

Hey! Me too. I have a D40 and I have ordered a D7000 that I will pick up upon my return home from working overseas. They look like pretty sweet units!

I have ordered the Tonika 11-16 f/2.8 DX, the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX and I have a 55-200VR DX and 18-55mm DX.

I'm just curious. Most people order the 35mm f/1.8 DX for the DX camera, not the 50mm. What made you choose the 50? I don't enough to advise, just curious why the choice over the 35mm.

Im sure you will enjoy it as much as I am going to enjoy mine. As for the point and shoot problems. I have a waterproof Olympus that i loathe. It take #### photos very slowly. Only upsides are that its tough, waterproof, and i don't give a #### about it. LOL I think your ordering of the D7000 will cure your woes.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

sburke Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Thu 24-Mar-11 04:50 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 24-Mar-11 05:05 PM by sburke

US

>Hey! Me too. I have a D40 and I have ordered a D7000 that I
>will pick up upon my return home from working overseas. They
>look like pretty sweet units!
>
>I have ordered the Tonika 11-16 f/2.8 DX, the Nikon 35mm f/1.8
>DX and I have a 55-200VR DX and 18-55mm DX.
>
>I'm just curious. Most people order the 35mm f/1.8 DX for the
>DX camera, not the 50mm. What made you choose the 50? I don't
>enough to advise, just curious why the choice over the 35mm.
>
>Im sure you will enjoy it as much as I am going to enjoy mine.
> As for the point and shoot problems. I have a waterproof
>Olympus that i loathe. It take #### photos very slowly. Only
>upsides are that its tough, waterproof, and i don't give a
>#### about it. LOL I think your ordering of the D7000 will
>cure your woes.

I think maybe most people get the 35mm because it's a newer lens worthy of a higher price point for it's performance. Since I am newer to photography, I think I'll start out with the 50mm, which is supposed to be one of the more highly recommended portrait lenses and biggest bang for your buck. I did a lot of research about it, and even on the forums here, it seems like the 50mm is the way to go for me. I'm sure in time I'll get the 35mm, but seems like people are having trouble getting one right now...

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 22-Mar-11 11:00 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 22-Mar-11 07:08 PM by billD80

US

Along with it, I am purchasing
>an 18-105 and a 50mm 1.8D lenses.
>Any help would be appreciated from those of you who are
>professionals or avid enthusiasts so that I can get great
>images of my kids, family and travel.

I think for kids in motion, the 18-105 will be on the camera a lot. With the D7000, you can shoot ISO 800 to ISO 1600, and still get VERY clean results. This enables you to set your lens at f/5.6 to f/8, and still have fast shutter speeds.

You can set you AF to Continuous to capture kids in movement.

Use your viewfinder as a canvas, and FILL it, don't make bullseye portraits with the face dead-center and tons of nothing at the top and side. Get close. Get down on the floor, don't shoot down.

Get a Giotto Rocket Blaster, and blast air onto the back element of the lens you're going to put on the camera, and DON'T leave the camera body lens mount open for a long time. Try to change lenses away from carpets, blowing dust, etc.

I still haven't needed to clean my DSLR sensor since purchase (last November), but I'm very careful and quick when changing lenses. It takes only a half second, once you've got the hang of it.

The AUTO White Balance of the D7000 is great, so you can shoot indoors without getting nasty color casts from indoor light.

The shutter release on most DSLR's has a two-level actuation -- press lightly to engage focus/exposure, press all the way to fire shutter. Compared to any compact, the D7000 is like lighting, and it's very fast compared to anything else. You get the feel pretty quickly. Squeeze, don't jab the shutter button.

Use the viewfinder for shooting and the LCD for seeing what you shot. (I'm not a big fan of using the LCD for making still images, but that's just my bias).

Shoot, shoot, shoot -- there are no film costs, so fire away and in no time the Camera will become an extension of your vision.

Almost ALWAYS, with people, focus on the eyes.

Have fun!

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

amolsan Registered since 14th Mar 2011Tue 29-Mar-11 08:25 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 3

IN

Hey Bill,
I am Amol . New here and also to Nikon & d7000. Got it last moth.
18-105 Kit and 35mm 1.8G. Hobbyist -mainly land scapes, Portarits, Family, Birding etc.

Your response is great and valuable to me too.
Am cosidering 50mm 1.4 G, 105MM 2.8 MIcro VR, 70-200 2.8 VRII is a ?
Will appreciate your suggestions.
Whats your view on Polarizers and ND filters? I am keeping a UV Filter On all the time. (is it ok?)

I am enjoying 7000 thouroughly.

Amol

Wapusk Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Sep 2007Tue 22-Mar-11 12:53 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 0

Brantford, CA

Welcome to Nikonian! Some one else has already said and I whole heartily agree that my second best investment is this forum. I just upgraded to the D7000 from D80s and am very pleased with the speed of this camera. With the added battery attachment you get a convenient shutter button when shooting portrait mode as well as more speed to get more frames per second. The video will probably come in handy too with small ones on the move. Have fun and shoot, shoot, shoot. It is the best way to learn and get comfortable with the controls of your camera.

wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011Tue 22-Mar-11 07:44 PM
302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Might i suggest the AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens over the 50mm lens.. or perhaps in addition to..

the D7000 has a crop factor of 1.53, applying that to the 50mm lens will make it more of a 75mm or 80mm lens.. which will really bring your subjects really close..

great for backyards, not so great for bedrooms. you'll be backing out the door of the room to frame the shot.

the 35mm is a DX lens and its just a few $ more and is still a very fast lens.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Camera-Lenses/2183/AF-S-DX-NIKKOR-35mm-f%252F1.8G.html

Visit My Website Nikon Fanboy.

lexkie_27 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Tue 22-Mar-11 11:59 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 5

SG

Hi Guys i'm a proud new owner of this awesome camera Nikon D7000 and so far I impress with everything about it.

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Wed 23-Mar-11 01:46 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 5

Raleigh, US

I would love to get a 35mm f/1.8G lens if I could find one. They are out of stock everywhere I've checked. I'm on one waiting list with no promise of a lens.

Rocky

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 23-Mar-11 03:27 AM
4185 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 7

Alberta, CA

>I would love to get a 35mm f/1.8G lens if I could find one.
>They are out of stock everywhere I've checked. I'm on one
>waiting list with no promise of a lens.
>
>Rocky

Too bad I sold my 50mm f1.8 a couple years ago when I got my Sigma f1.4. Put a collapsable rubber hood on the 50 and it is a compact dream DX portrait lens! All the f1.8 lenses strike me as great companions for the D7000 given their sharpness and compact size. Hmm come to think about it my sold 85mm f1.8 would make a nice companion too.

I also would like the 35mm too and am partially hoping that compact combo will stave off my inevitable NAS for the upcoming Nikon mirrorless camera

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

ozzy1 Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Wed 23-Mar-11 04:28 AM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 8

AU

I too am hovering on th brink of purchasing th D7000 and assorted lenses.. I am hoping for advice for which lenses...for micro (macro) flowers, spiders, bugs..
parties and groups
architecture and distant views.

Very excited. Have read th 22 page review in DP Review very carefully, and altho they only give it a silver award, they still seem pretty impressed.

And

Whats this about the mirror-less Nikon?

Hope it gets rid of th antique pentaprism and has a swing out screen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ozzy66/Cockfighting-1.gif

egmonster Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2011Wed 23-Mar-11 12:01 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 9

Egmont, CA

>I too am hovering on th brink of purchasing th D7000 and
>assorted lenses.. I am hoping for advice for which
>lenses...for micro (macro) flowers, spiders, bugs..
>parties and groups
>architecture and distant views.

I think you will get a million answers on that. When I got my first decent camera I just started with the one kit lens that can comes with the camera as a good starting point and then I went from there. I certainly am no expert. Thats all i would do for now if you are just starting with SLR's.

Im sure there is a wise man who will pop in here and help you out. I am just new here too but this certainly appears to be a superb place to come and look for info or help.

>And
>
>Whats this about the mirror-less Nikon?
>
>Hope it gets rid of th antique pentaprism and has a swing out
>screen.

I wouldn't trade the combination of mirror/pentaprism technology combined with the Mark 1 eyeball for anything. I have never seen a screen photo camera that I personally liked. Maybe someday my mind could be changed but I still doubt it. Pentaprism forever baby!!

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Thu 24-Mar-11 02:56 AM
4185 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 9

Alberta, CA

I would check out the Third-party lens forum at Nikonians for feedback on the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 and competing Sigma model too. And any of the Nikon kit lenses have a good reputation as do all of the Nikon macros. A good used manual focus Nikon macro could also be a real bargain (and there is a Macro forum here also at Nikonians!)

I'd say go for it on the D7000, it is clearly a gold camera in my usage, dpreview had to do a lot of verbal gymnastics to keep it ranked the way they did! (Mirror-less BTW is just a rumour but there certainly is some talk about it being announced this Spring!)

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

wesmannmsu Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2011Wed 23-Mar-11 01:08 PM
302 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 7

US

I just bought one at the local Ritz store.. it was the only place i could find it

Visit My Website Nikon Fanboy.

amolsan Registered since 14th Mar 2011Tue 29-Mar-11 08:29 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 7

IN

Hey Rocky,

35mm 1.8G is a great- light, sharp and fast lens. Goes so well with d7000. Graet value for Mones-No wonder its out of stock. Try and Get it ASPA. yOu WILL love it.

Amol

Cheryse Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Jan 2011Thu 24-Mar-11 05:25 AM
55 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 0

Leander, US

Welcome,

The D7000 is an excellent camera. I have a 15 year old, 4 and 2 year old and I am getting great pictures. Sports, parks, backyard, house...everywhere.

I have a sigma 50. mm 1.4 lens and I love it. My oldest plays basketball and I can take pictures on the court without a flash. It works great. I also use it as my regular lens and I love it. I am finding that I need a wider lens for group pictures. I have to back up to get group shots of my sons playgroups and other group shots for my oldest. There have been times when the space was small and backing up was an issue, but your 18-105 will help you in that situation.

My youngest would not pose for pictures when I used a flash on my old camera. The D7000 has high ISO and I rarely use a flash with the young ones.

I know you will enjoy the camera and capture great moments.

Cheryse

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Thu 24-Mar-11 11:04 AM
465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

Welcome Schyler to the world of Nikon and especially to Nikonians. You will find a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people here at Nikonians.

The D7000 is a wonderful camera and piece of technology. It can do just about anything, except slice bread. However, because it can do so much it can be complicated and frustrating to someone new to the world of DSLR cameras.

I suggest for the next few months you put the camera in AUTO (A) or PROGRAM (P) if you don't want the flash to go off and fire away. Let the camera do its thing. It is pretty smart 90-95% of the time. It will take snapshots of your kids that your friends will marvel over.

The 18-105 lens will be all you need for most of your shots. It allows you to take wide angle shots and zoom in tight when they aren't looking. Use the 50mm lens in lower light when you want a portrait and do not want to use the flash.

After you are comfortable with the camera, you can take it off of autopilot and start learning how to use it to it full potential. You will find answers to all of your camera questions here at Nikonians.

P.S. If you are comfortable in doing so, post a few pics of your kids so we can marvel over them too.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

sburke Registered since 22nd Mar 2011Thu 24-Mar-11 05:01 PM
#16. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Thanks guys! I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. I can't wait to get my new camera and play with it!! It might end up being less costly for my husband once it comes in. I won't have the time to go out and get new furniture, etc. like I have been in my boredom, lol. I'll post pictures as soon as I get some good shots.

Coldfront Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2004Wed 30-Mar-11 05:42 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#19. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 16

Marengo, US

Welcome to Nikonians!! You will find nikonians to be your BEST photo investment (if you haven't already) I too am a new D7k owner. I love the camera but have found it a little difficult to master. Enter Nikonians. Fortunatly most of the prpblems have been found to be user error.I have relied on the forum for all my recent aquisitions and have averted mistakes.the guys have also helped me prioritize, flash,tripod ball head etc. As you have witness help with lenses is invaluable.So enjoy the forum and shoot shoot shoot as mentioned! jim

Coldfront

amolsan Registered since 14th Mar 2011Thu 31-Mar-11 03:55 AM
#20. "RE: Soon to be D7000 owner and new to forum!"
In response to Reply # 19

IN

Hey Coldfront,

New here and new to Nikon & d7k.
Now talking about Flash, any views on 700?
I also need advice on ND and Polarizer filters.

Amol

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7262 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.