Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7259
View in linear mode

Subject: "Changing Aperture in Live View" Previous topic | Next topic
JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Tue 22-Mar-11 02:02 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Changing Aperture in Live View"
Tue 22-Mar-11 02:03 AM by JPJ

Toronto, CA

Not sure if this has been posted here or not so I thought I would add it in case it wasn't or someone who might be interested missed it (I know I did if it was posted here before).

Many reviews claimed there was no way of changing aperture (thanks again DPReview) in live view mode on the d7000. As far as I knew they were correct.

Well apparently if you own a lens with an aperture ring you can control the aperture through the ring while in live view. To do so you have to set Custom Setting F6: custom settings menu > controls > customize command dials > Aperture setting to OFF.

I don't actually own a lens with an aperture ring so I have not tried this. I was speaking with a friend of mine who recently starting shooting a lot of movies with his d7000 and he discovered this tip on the internet, tried it and it works.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 26-Mar-11 12:53 AM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Changing Aperture in Live View"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Thanks Jason,

Maybe it's time I dug out my 105mm f2.5 and give it a whirl!

One of the things on my todo list is to go back and understand how setting exposure works when shooting video. I've gotten pretty murky on the whole business.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Tom Gresham Registered since 08th Dec 2005Sun 27-Mar-11 05:13 AM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Changing Aperture in Live View"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Lenses with real aperture rings are favored for shooting video for just this reason.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sun 27-Mar-11 08:43 AM
1762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Changing Aperture in Live View"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 27-Mar-11 08:52 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Chris covers some of this over in DSLRV:http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=402&topic_id=117&prev_page=show_topic&gid=117#157

"e) a set of manually adjustable lenses, AIs minimum, fast glass preferred. Stay away from G type lenses (no iris rings) and push-pull one ring zooms if you can. Cope if you can't."

The gist is using Live View and manual lenses is the method for video, so I make an assumption that works as well on this machine for stills when the newer AF (G) glass is not being mounted.

Since we began this excursion when the D7K shipped last November, I've resurrected a hand me down set and had some mods done, on a 28mm f3.4, 50mm f1.4, 55mm f2.8, 135mm f2.8 and procured lenses with Iris rings when I find them used.

So far, 35-105 f3.5 AF, an 85mm f1.8 AF, and a 105mm f2.5. I'm missing the 35mm f1.4, which as we know used is still considerably expensive.

Note for folks using primes. Setting the Non-CPU lens function allows the same capabilities as the method described in OP.

Also note, setting a newer Iris ring lens in the Non-CPU menu which does have an AF function requires that the Iris ring be stopped down all the way, if done otherwise the F EE begins to flash indicating an error.

The command dial on front then operates the f stop, so turning it off as mentioned may not allow operation with a post AI or S lens, but that's easy to check.

Interim, learning more about video and still lighting, using a Sekonic incident Cine meter (mint) I snagged for 80 bucks, and getting my official version of Adobe CS5 Premiere Pro Production next week.

The tools are lined up, both primes and the pro lenses and it seems like forever since we bought these machines, but it's now beginning to take shape.

I just set up the 50mm, and 85mm AF using the NON-CPU lens menu, the aperture ring works manually in Live View on the 50mm but with the command dial only on the 85mm, set to f16 and not the ring.

HTH as Chris would usually sign, and yes, we are in this together.

Rob

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7259 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.