Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7242
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon return under warranty - expensive!" Previous topic | Next topic
b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Mon 21-Mar-11 06:12 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"

Winter Garden, US

Had to return my D7000 to NIkon for repair. Purchased it in Dec. Cost to return, plus insurance, UPS was $34.00. Too bad Nikon does not cover the cost of return when it is under warranty.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!
PROWLER69 Silver Member
21st Mar 2011
rlecocq
21st Mar 2011
b1234s
22nd Mar 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
21st Mar 2011
SheriB Silver Member
22nd Mar 2011
km6xz Moderator
22nd Mar 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
23rd Mar 2011
HelenOster Silver Member
11th Apr 2011
RockyIII Gold Member
22nd Mar 2011
visionguru
22nd Mar 2011
b1234s
22nd Mar 2011
rlecocq
23rd Mar 2011
b1234s
23rd Mar 2011

PROWLER69 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 21-Mar-11 08:43 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 21-Mar-11 08:45 PM by PROWLER69

Wading River, US

Yes, it is costly but I am lucky I only live about a half hour drive from their repair center in Melville, NY. But again it beats the overall high cost of the big repair. With all the Nikon's that I have had over the past 45 years I have never had to have one in for repair. Just my good luck.
Eddie

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank account".
Woody Allen

http://edmund-365imagesin2009.blogspot.com/
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/gallery/view_img.php?id=27273

http://www.pbase.com/tomcat68/root

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Mon 21-Mar-11 10:38 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"
In response to Reply # 0

Winnipeg, CA

Hello,

Care to share what the warranty repair was for? And what was the diagnosis?

Rob./

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Tue 22-Mar-11 02:05 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"
In response to Reply # 2

Winter Garden, US

The AF focus control stopped working. This is when you push the small AF button to change the number of focusing zones (39 etc). I could not change the zones.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 21-Mar-11 11:34 PM
4184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

I most always buy from my local retailer except for difficult to source specialty items. In cases where I have needed service I can trot down there and they take care of shipping and all the logistics for me (and/or solve the issue right there and then if I am mistaken). I just have to show up at their door with my equipment and they 'take care of it for me'. I apologize if none of this applies to you as you don't actually state how you purchased your camera; its just that this thread prompted me to voice what I have been thinking about for some time now.

I understand that in the US, online purchasing has become popular as a way to avoid state taxes and achieve lower pricing but at least in my case there is no or little difference (can't speak for all jurisdictions) in price or taxation. I find it curious that local state taxes are not enforced for online purchases and thus levelling the playing field for local businesses. I would have thought local businesses would be lobbying this issue hard, since Mom and Pop's are basically going the way of the dodo bird. Like I say it has long been curious to me why such an imbalanced system is tolerated if not encouraged. Mind you from a pure economics point of view, efficiency is efficiency, so I kind of understand the opposite point of view.

But take it one more step - what do we need the B&H's and Adorama's of the world (or even Best Buy's) for if we could order directly from the manufacturers - is the Nikon store a future step in this direction - in the 10 or 20 year term, competition and associated lowering of prices (no need for the retailer's profit margin) may force the next step. E.g. If I could buy a Canon Twizzler 3000 for 17% less than the Nikon Astounder 2600 would that force Nikon's hand to do the same? In some ways I can see this happening very very soon, again driven by competitive pressures. All it takes is for one manufacturer to jump on this hard with a big success and force its competitors hands - maybe someone like a Pentax/Hoya that is having difficulty maintaining a retail presence at the Best Buy's etc. due to limited retailer shelf space. If Pentax jumps into it such that they could offer a real price advantage could Sony, Nikon, or Canon afford to not match it?

Finally take it a step further - what do we need Nikon USA or Nikon Canada for? In the above world of just in time manufacturing and delivery, we don't really need them either do we - there are plenty of Jet flights to Japan and Thailand that could handle ordering and delivery quite nicely. It strikes me that retail/wholesale industries as a proposition are going to continue to experience competitive pressures.

Anyhow I am the kind of purchaser that values service and aftermarket support highly and for example I avoid Walmart like the plague I also like to trial run my lenses with an onsite test before I buy it so I value lenses in the hand. I recognize not everyone sees it that way (back to the pure efficiency of volume selling and eliminating levels in the distribution/sales chain).

Not sure but the shoe may be about to drop.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Tue 22-Mar-11 09:47 AM
1599 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Lawmakers are trying to get that "no tax online shopping" changed so that may go away for us in the US. But the fact remains that few of us have brick and mortar stores to go to Even chain ones like Ritz have gone out of business around me.I am lucky that in the city I live near I have a camera store that has been around for years and it is like you said.Walk in, if you think something is broke or you have a question..usually looked at right there.BUT when you can save a couple hundred dollars it makes it hard to buy all your equip. I bought my D300s and 2 smaller lenses from there. The one lens ( 85mm 1.8D) took a month to get in, the other (35mmf/2.0D) took 2 months to the day. I could have ordered offline from say B&H, paid less ( I checked) and had them a lot sooner. This owner had to call his Nikon rep multiple times to get these lenses.And they were sitting somewhere because the paperwork in the boxes had info about a contest that ran out in like 2007...
I just purchesed a 70-200 f/2.8 from a reputable online dealer paid less that the Nikon Store has it listed for and it is supposed to arrive today. Service ( speed) is also a big selling point.

Sheri Becker

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Tue 22-Mar-11 02:53 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"
In response to Reply # 3

St Petersburg, RU

The demise of the locally owned small businesses is a subject I've written about many times. It is a self induced loss by consumers who only think of acquisition cost and not the cost of ownership or use.Maybe with a more realistic national sales tax system that distributes the funds, locally owned shops can have a fighting chance. For every small town that has had big box stores opened, the quality of life suffers a great deal. The average income drops, tax revenue drops, it is harder to attract new businesses, and costs of supporting the poverty wage workers who must use emergency rooms, food stamps etc that the mega stores force on a community.
A major loss is the loss of local expertise and services, in all fields, not just cameras, when the consumers avoid the few remaining local stores to shop on-line. Most of the questions that have to be answered on this forum were traditionally handled by the neighborhood camera expert in the mom and pop store.
Several decades ago it became illegal for manufacturers to set a price for products. Before that time, there was a very level playing field since stores charged the same, big or small. Many think that is a bad thing but overall, it is what made communities livable and was a major reason the middle class was so healthy and growing. Local shops had a livable profit margin and instead of competing solely on price, they competed on service. It was very common for shops, all types, to have service department, free lessons, training, free loaners when something was being repaired, and great customer service that encouraged tire kicking and coming in for questions or advice. In the long run, it was cheaper to pay a bit more and get what you really needed. Notice how many people buy a camera and it is clear that it is the wrong camera for them, quite often much more costly. But the current habit of buying an items or several competing items just to try and send everything back is a direct result of buying on-line and forcing local stores out of business. No one who avoids taxes by not buying in local stores has any right to complain about the poor customer service that is the natural result of not having anything but minimum wage order takers and packers on the other end of a telephone or email. By sending your money outside your community, but still demanding local services that are paid for by local stores such as fire and police services, support for the libraries, parks, roads etc, you are helping the downward slide of quality of life in your own community.
Just how much would be saved if people bought equipment that was well suited to their application the first time and did not have to buy and sell a series of units or systems before discovering what they really needed? That savings alone, available from having local expertise is worth far more than any sales tax savings buying on-line.
During the middle class growth period of the US, and competitive local stores, wages were higher due to the higher margins on sales so there was a reason for employees to stay, and not be a drain on community services. That meant that the person you talked with over the counter knew what they were talking about and could help with problems or correct misunderstandings, the type that we read everyday on the forum. When was the last time you got informed answers from big box mega-stores or on-line? Leaving volunteers on forums to answer questions has a major limitation, everyone is guessing. No one sees the unit or set up doing what is being asked about. I have read a lot of wrong answers here from people who were quite knowledgeable, but they are not mind readers or practitioners of remote-vision. Accurate to the point diagnosis requires reliable data which is missing from a posted question, but would have been a slam dunk if the camera, user's operation, and setup that the old mom and pop stores could by just trying it themselves.
Overall, I see this trend of mail order for everything as being false economies. Everyone loses if a longer time frame is considered.

A side note about direct distribution from manufacturers. Shipping charges and waste would increase dramatically if shipping each sale individually. A national distributor has very little landed costs per unit because tons are shipped in at a time using very efficient maritime shipping, instead of aircraft. I ship things all the time back and forth from the US and air is very expensive. If it was 10,000 lbs, it would be very reasonable per pallet by ship. I has a small number of boxes of test equipment to send from California, about 120lbs. It was $1200 for air, $490 by ship. If I had 1200 lbs, 10 times as much, air would have been $12k and by ship $610. Most of the shipping costs were fixed port fees and handling once it arrive, not the cost of transportation per unit it weight. That is one reason national distributors result in less overhead and cheaper prices.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 23-Mar-11 02:40 AM
4184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"
In response to Reply # 7

Alberta, CA

After writing this I thought about the shipping/distribution role and I agree there has to be some efficiencies with bulk shipping. So I guess we need these national distributors after all.

Just reading a 30-page article about the aftermath of the quake and tsunami. It is very very sad to see the loss of life, broken families, and now confirmed death of one Sendai employee. I am very grateful for the joy arising from the products of these industrious people of Nikon.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

HelenOster Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jul 2008Mon 11-Apr-11 03:41 PM
133 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"
In response to Reply # 3

New York, US

>....what do we need the B&H's and
>Adorama's of the world for if we could
>order directly from the manufacturers

An interesting thought - but don't forget that Adorama, for example, stocks items from well over 800 different suppliers. Would consumers really find it more convenient to fill their carts from half a dozen separate suppliers instead of a one-stop shop?

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
www.adorama.com?kbid=64628

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Tue 22-Mar-11 12:47 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 22-Mar-11 12:48 AM by RockyIII

Raleigh, US

I agree it would be nice for shipping to be included in the warranty, but I guess it is pretty standard for it not to be.

Fortunately, I have never needed Nikon warranty service. I had a brand new Leica lens that had to go in for repair under warranty, twice. The first time I sent it, and the second time I got the dealer to do it. Of course, I still had to pay to ship it to the dealer.

I gave up German cameras for Lent. <g>

Rocky

visionguru Registered since 03rd Nov 2008Tue 22-Mar-11 06:45 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 22-Mar-11 06:48 PM by visionguru

Chicago, US

Are you sure you tried EVERYTHING? A defective button is definite a rare defect, because it's such a simple part.

I read through your previous post about the problem, and examined my D7000. If you accidentally set the "AF" selector to "M" , then the camera won't respond your effort trying to change AF mode. Just a thought. The picture you posted definitely showed that the camera was set to "M", other wise, there should be "AF-S" or "AF-A" or "AF-C" displayed. It's very very likely your camera is just fine and will be returned shortly.

Can't believe a simple part like this can go wrong (it happens but lottery kind of probability

$38 sounds expensive. With priority mail, you probably can do it for $20 or less.

Jay
- Chicago Nikonian

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Tue 22-Mar-11 11:13 PM
#9. "RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"
In response to Reply # 8

Winter Garden, US

When I had Nikon support on the phone we switched the AF to M and back to AF and tried it both ways and it did not respond.

rlecocq Registered since 14th Jan 2008Wed 23-Mar-11 02:23 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed 23-Mar-11 02:26 AM by rlecocq

Winnipeg, CA

>When I had Nikon support on the phone we switched the AF to M
>and back to AF and tried it both ways and it did not respond.

>
Very interesting, thanks for sharing ihe info. Was this the situation from new or did this problem suddenly occur?

Edit
Sorry I just noticed you indicated that it "stopped" working...

Rob./

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Wed 23-Mar-11 06:55 PM
#12. "RE: Nikon return under warranty - expensive!"
In response to Reply # 10

Winter Garden, US

It worked when I got the camera in Dec. Stopped working in March. One interesting point was the Nikon support guy stated at one point it could be the lens. I did not have a 2nd lens to try at the time. We did remove the lens and tried it it and got the same results.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7242 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.