Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7203
View in linear mode

Subject: "Card Class for D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
billgreen Registered since 14th Oct 2010Sun 20-Mar-11 02:05 PM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Card Class for D7000"
Sun 20-Mar-11 04:00 PM by billgreen

US

I am currently using a SanDisk HC Ultra 32 GB Class 4 in my D7000. So far no problems at all. I will soon need additional cards and wondering if there is any advantage, or need, for me to go to class 6 or 10. I do not typically shoot a lot of rapid fire sequences. With most things I am usually inclined to buy the best I can afford but these things can get ultra expensive. Should I fork out the extra cash or will class 4 or 6 suffice?

Bill

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Card Class for D7000
briantilley Moderator
20th Mar 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
20th Mar 2011
carpemoment
21st Mar 2011
egmonster Gold Member
21st Mar 2011
carpemoment
23rd Mar 2011
Umbra Vipera
24th Mar 2011
snapsh0t
25th Mar 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
25th Mar 2011
HayMower Silver Member
25th Mar 2011

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 20-Mar-11 02:27 PM
28679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Card Class for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

I'm far from being an expert in these matters, but from what I've read the main benefit of using class 10 cards in the D7000 is in shooting HD video. I'd be surprised if you see much difference in typical still shooting.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 20-Mar-11 06:30 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Card Class for D7000"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 20-Mar-11 07:04 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Sandisk makes a class 4 SDHC card that is rated at 15mbs.
A class 4 could be fast enough, even if you take sequences of your pictures.
I never had a problem with that card in my D90, even for it's highest definition Video.

Class 10 is technically 10mbs but some actually are claimed to go to 45mbs or higher.
Then there is the read or write factor.
The camera need one that writes fast enough to empty the buffer.
The computer benefits from one that reads and transfers fast.

High speed, High definition Video in a D7000 needs faster cards than stills because the buffer is quickly used up.
I would try shooting at least 10 minutes Video with your card to test it.
If the camera stops or the playback is jerky or has blank spots,
Then your card is not fast enough.

check this out:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

If you do not care about Video, set your camera up to take RAW + large fine JPEGs or just RAW if you only have one card.
Then see how many shots you can fire in CH mode before the camera stops.

carpemoment Registered since 17th Dec 2009Mon 21-Mar-11 11:50 AM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Card Class for D7000"
In response to Reply # 2

Raleigh, US

I have been using my D7000 for about 2 weeks now with class 4 SanDisk 8 gb cards. I shot RAW lossless compression but switched to RAW compressed, I think it is called, to give me more shots in sequence. I shoot sports and I have missed shots because of the write speed if I do not use all that the buffer can shoot, ie, if I shoot 5 and let up, it starts writing to the card and will not let me shoot again even though the buffer could hold more until it finishes writing the first 5. I just figured out that is what is happening so I haven't had a chance to look into whether there is a setting I need to change or if I need a class 6 or better card to speed up the write process. I made on the fly adjustment to my shooting by always filling the buffer but that is not always necessary and uses valuable gbs but, a higher capacity card would help since we all know digital shots are free anyway. I do recall reading in the manual that Nikon recommends a class 6 for video. I'm thinking that maybe there is a setting that might reduce the buffer but allow me to continue shooting as buffer space is freed up.

Visit <www.carpemoment.com>.

or http://gary-adkins.fineartamerica.com

egmonster Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Mar 2011Mon 21-Mar-11 01:12 PM
19 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Card Class for D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

Egmont, CA

Actually, correct me if I am wrong, but the D7000 is the only camera on the market today that will accept the new UHS Speed Class 1 cards. They are only made by sandisk but they offer a lot more speed than class 10 and apparently more data reliability.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Flash-Memory-SDSDXP1-016G-Black/dp/B004JJN262/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300716450&sr=8-1

There are some folks on there giving reviews that say the new cards are better than others.

carpemoment Registered since 17th Dec 2009Wed 23-Mar-11 12:18 PM
282 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Card Class for D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Raleigh, US

A fast card doesn't help unless the D7000 can handle the write speed. Does anyone know how much of card speed the D7000 can handle?

Visit <www.carpemoment.com>.

or http://gary-adkins.fineartamerica.com

Umbra Vipera Registered since 24th Mar 2011Thu 24-Mar-11 06:42 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Card Class for D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I came across this site and though I would share. Apparently he tested various cards in the D7000 and has generated a ranking of sorts for the various cards. I'm not exactly sure how "scientific" the tests were so take it with a grain of salt.

http://sportsphotoguy.com/nikon-d7000-raw-burst-test/

snapsh0t Registered since 30th Aug 2009Fri 25-Mar-11 06:01 AM
157 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Card Class for D7000"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

The manual says the D7000 supports UHS-1 so the Sandisk Extreme Pro should be fully supported and the test referred to seems to bear this out. I'm waiting for my usual supplier to get stock so I can try a couple of them.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 25-Mar-11 02:09 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Card Class for D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Monterey Bay, US

>The manual says the D7000 supports UHS-1 so the Sandisk
>Extreme Pro should be fully supported and the test referred to
>seems to bear this out. I'm waiting for my usual supplier to
>get stock so I can try a couple of them.

NewEgg has 32GB 45MBs for $141

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Fri 25-Mar-11 02:48 PM
188 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Card Class for D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

US

>The manual says the D7000 supports UHS-1 so the Sandisk
>Extreme Pro should be fully supported and the test referred to
>seems to bear this out. I'm waiting for my usual supplier to
>get stock so I can try a couple of them.

I'm using 8gb UHS-1 cards in my D7000 and they are working - I can't seem to pass up any new card that comes to the market. I have the following for my D7000 and all work just fine:

Lexar Professional 8gb 133x class 10
SanDisk Ultra 8gb class 4
Lexar Platinum 8gb 100x class 6
Sandisk Extreme Pro 8gb UHS-1 45 mb/s

For the D40X, I have:
SanDisk Extreme Pro 4gb class 6
PNY Optima 4gb class 4

I don't normally "cross-pollinate" the cards, although I did try one of the UHS-1 cards in the D40x and it worked.

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7203 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.