Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #719
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 only partly Magnesium body" Previous topic | Next topic
MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Sat 09-Oct-10 03:25 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 only partly Magnesium body"

AW

This may have been covered already, but there are still some notable reviews out there that state the D7000 is an all magnesium body, but that is not true according to Nikon USA.

"Compact but durable with magnesium-alloy top and rear covers, superior weather and dust seals and a 150,000 cycle-rated shutter system providing reliable operation"

""

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Sun 10-Oct-10 09:34 AM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 only partly Magnesium body"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi David:

Thanks for the info and you are right. I thought it was all magnesium alloy body, but it is not – just the top and back:

I also thought that it was rated at 175,000 actuations. It is 150,000 now. Oh, well. However, look at the bright side. I can navigate, through the menus, in Chinese, Arabic, Turkish, Finnish, Indonesian, and Thai, if I wanted to.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Sun 10-Oct-10 01:24 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 only partly Magnesium body"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 10-Oct-10 01:25 PM by MstrBones

AW

Hektor,

Thanks for finding the picture.

I actually don't have much of a problem with the hybrid body build, after 5 years of pretty constant use, my D70s still looks great and has served well. My D200, of course, is far better built and has been a workhorse so there is definitely something to the metal body cameras.

I think what I like, spec-wise, is that Nikon uprated the shutter from 100k actuations and 1/4000th of a second on the D90 to 150k new camera and increased max shutter speed to 1/8000th of a second along with the weather sealing. These are very D300-like features.

I still want to see some images though, I am curious if there is any real improvement in noise handling with such dinky pixels. In fact, I am curious to see if Nikon even stayed even with the D90. It had the best sensor of the 12mpixel DX cameras.

""

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #719 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.