Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7111
View in linear mode

Subject: "Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points" Previous topic | Next topic
b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Sat 19-Mar-11 12:39 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"

Winter Garden, US

The camera is set folr 39 points on AF yet in the viewfinder at the top of camera I don't see the 39 pattern displayed. All I see is a single dot rather than the 39 dot grid. This makes me think it is set correctly. When I first got the camera I remember seeing the 39 grid displayed.

Looks like I screwed something up and I have the Nikon User manual and a Nikon D7000 field guide and can't seem to find the answer to a very simple problem.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points
Gamecocks Silver Member
19th Mar 2011
b1234s
19th Mar 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
19th Mar 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
19th Mar 2011
b1234s
19th Mar 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
19th Mar 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
19th Mar 2011
briantilley Moderator
19th Mar 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
19th Mar 2011
billgreen
19th Mar 2011
b1234s
19th Mar 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
19th Mar 2011
b1234s
19th Mar 2011
mholka
20th Mar 2011
b1234s
20th Mar 2011
briantilley Moderator
20th Mar 2011
b1234s
20th Mar 2011
mholka
21st Mar 2011

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 19-Mar-11 12:54 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

If you made changes you can go to the "Recent Settings" menu and it will show the last change made. If this doesn't work, then reset to the original settings; or go through the menu and check for menu settings that have an * as these settings have been changed.

Good luck.

Regards,

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Sat 19-Mar-11 01:10 AM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 19-Mar-11 01:21 AM by b1234s

Winter Garden, US

I guess the basic question is how to change the AF Focus points (31 to 8 , etc)
Here is the screen that shows the single AF focus point. I reset the camera to default settings and the display remains the same.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 19-Mar-11 01:23 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 2

Joanna, US

Check in your manual on pages 91-98; they cover focus and top of page 95 might be your answer.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Sat 19-Mar-11 02:06 AM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 2

Newburg, US

There is an AF mode button in the center of focus mode selector switch on the front of the camera - the switch that changes the camera from AF to M focus. While looking through the view finder, press that button in and rotate the main command dial until you see AFA or AFC. Then, continuing to press the button, rotate the sub-command dial on the front of the camera to change the dynamic area focus points from 9 to 21 to 39 or 3d. As you do that, you will see the number of focus boxes in the viewfinder increase or decrease. You will also see the number of boxes selected on the top LCD (that you have posted a picture of here).

Of course, the most important thing is knowing why you are making a particular selection. I keep the manual in close reach when I am learning a new camera. When it comes to focus, you need to memorize pages 93-100 of the manual - really. I mean REALLY.

Visit my gallery.

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Sat 19-Mar-11 05:39 PM
#9. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 19-Mar-11 05:58 PM by briantilley

Winter Garden, US

Tried this and it does not work. Nothing changes when I hold the AF mode button down and I rotate the main command dial. AFA or AFC does not appear. The only change I get is an arrow appears on the left side, first one then a 2nd one but no AFA or AFC. It appears to me that the camera may be defective and I may need to call Nikon support as it is brand new.

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Sat 19-Mar-11 07:10 PM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 9
Sat 19-Mar-11 07:11 PM by chris_platt

Newburg, US

Your camera may be defective, but that will also happen if the mode selector switch is in the M position for manual focus. Rotating the command dial in that case will have no effect. The arrows are the camera's indication to you that the subject is not in focus. An arrow on the left side means the focus point is between the subject and the camera and the camera wants you to manually adjust the focus. The appearance of those arrows suggests that the camera may be set in manual focus mode. You may have done that inadvertently while trying to hold the AF mode button down.

Visit my gallery.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 19-Mar-11 02:06 AM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

Hold down the button just to the left of the OFF-ON switch and rotate the dial on the top-back of the camera.
You will see the single dot switch to matrix and multipoint.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 19-Mar-11 08:33 AM
28675 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 5

Paignton, GB

>You will see the single dot switch to matrix and multipoint.

To avoid any confusion, Nikon doesn't use the terms "matrix" or "multipoint" for AF modes. You're referring to "Single-point AF", "Dynamic-area AF" (with 9-, 21- or 39-points) and "Auto-area AF".

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 19-Mar-11 09:42 AM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

Thank you for the clarification Brian

billgreen Registered since 14th Oct 2010Sat 19-Mar-11 11:35 AM
388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Hold down the button just to the left of the OFF-ON switch
>and rotate the dial on the top-back of the camera.
>You will see the single dot switch to matrix and multipoint.

What you are referring to is metering pattern. The OP is asking about focus points.

Bill

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Sat 19-Mar-11 06:54 PM
#10. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 8

Winter Garden, US

I discussed this with Nikon Support and they said the camera is defective and to return it fore repair.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 19-Mar-11 07:08 PM
#11. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat 19-Mar-11 07:19 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>I discussed this with Nikon Support and they said the camera
>is defective and to return it fore repair.

did you check reply #12?
Did Nikon have you do a reset?

Of course, Nikon will either make it as good as new can be or send you a new one.

Would it not be faster to return for exchange from the merchandiser?

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Sat 19-Mar-11 07:25 PM
#13. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 11
Sat 19-Mar-11 07:40 PM by briantilley

Winter Garden, US

Yes, we tried everything while I had support on the phone. The problem seemed to be the FAF button on the left side of the camera. When you push it in nothing happens.
He actually had a D7000 in front of him as well. As to exchange, I purchased it from Amazon in Dec. They only give you 30 days to return so I will be returning it to Nikon for repair or replacement.

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Sun 20-Mar-11 12:49 AM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 13
Sun 20-Mar-11 12:51 AM by mholka

Brownstown Twp, US

HOLD EVERYTHING. I don't think it is broken. I think you may be using the MAIN(Thumb) Command Dial and not the Sub Command Dial near your trigger.

1st - the button next to the On/Off switch is for the Exposure Mode.

2nd You need to hold the little button (recess) in the center of the AF switch on the front RIGHT if your looking at the camera front (lens would point at you.

Then the rotate NOT the MAIN command Dial (Thumb)on the back but the one on the front of the grip near your trigger finger. Sub Command Dial.

This will change the point selections.

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

--Martin
www.ExclusivePhotoWorks.com
Nikon Body's
D800e, D300s, D7000, D90, D80, F100

Lenses:
18 - 200 F3.5-5.6 VRII, 70-200 F2.8 VR II,
18 - 105 F3.5-5.6 VR, 18 - 135 F3.5-5.6,
35 - 70 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 70 - 300 F4-4.5,
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Sun 20-Mar-11 01:50 PM
#15. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 14
Sun 20-Mar-11 02:28 PM by briantilley

Winter Garden, US

Yes, we tried this just as you recommend. Nikon said you should "feel" a click when you depress the button in the center of the AF switch. I can push the button in but cannot feel a click so they think this button is defective.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 20-Mar-11 02:30 PM
28675 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 15

Paignton, GB

Hi, Ben.

A minor administrative point...

It's best not to use "reply with quote" unless you want to refer to a particular section of the post you're replying to. Using "reply with quote" every time just wastes bandwidth.

Thank you

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

b1234s Registered since 05th Dec 2010Sun 20-Mar-11 04:38 PM
#17. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 16

Winter Garden, US

Will do. Thanks for the tip.

Ben

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Mon 21-Mar-11 03:55 PM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Very Basic Question on AF Focus Points"
In response to Reply # 17

Brownstown Twp, US

Ben,

Bummer. Mine clicks. Although a pain, Nikon will make it right!

Good Luck.

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

--Martin
www.ExclusivePhotoWorks.com
Nikon Body's
D800e, D300s, D7000, D90, D80, F100

Lenses:
18 - 200 F3.5-5.6 VRII, 70-200 F2.8 VR II,
18 - 105 F3.5-5.6 VR, 18 - 135 F3.5-5.6,
35 - 70 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 70 - 300 F4-4.5,
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7111 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.