Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7067
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 & 2 lenses NOW.. or the D300 before :)" Previous topic | Next topic
shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Fri 18-Mar-11 01:47 AM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 & 2 lenses NOW.. or the D300 before :)"
Fri 18-Mar-11 04:55 AM by shootersdesireIN

Indianapolis, US

I want a lens that i can zoom into and for landscape as well. Since i got this combo the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 II & the 70 300vr which rationally covers every range. Now i need to adjust to the 70-300 which has average glass
How can i get the most out of the 70-300? I also bought a tamron 1.4X teleconvertor.
How does the Nikon D300 compare to the D7000. I use to own won and i feel it was sharper camera then the D7000. Then again it could be me. David

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 18-Mar-11 01:13 PM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 & 2 lenses NOW.. or the D300 before :)"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

The 70-300vr is better than average, but with any telephoto, it requires good technique to get the best from it. The D300 is more forgiving of modest technique but in every imaginable criteria the D7000 is capable of better images with better color, a lot wider dynamic range, higher resolution, lower noise, faster frame rate in 14bit, better metering, and a few I've missed. All those improvements require more precise technique, however, to achieve results up to its capability.

A teleconverter on a slow telephoto will not likely deliver the best images. Reach and image quality are usually every expensive to combine the two. There is a reason long fast lenses are 3 to 10 times more expensive than the camera itself.
What exactly do you intend to capture with 300mm X 1.5 crop x 1.4 TC?
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Fri 18-Mar-11 09:52 PM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 & 2 lenses NOW.. or the D300 before :)"
In response to Reply # 1

Indianapolis, US

i was hoping with the extender to get some wildlife or get photos of people. The bad thing is its like you mentioned doesn't work as well with the D7000. No communication to the camera its on. Its not a big deal although i would like a nikon 70-200 or sigma 70-200. There's no way i can afford a vr lens like that so i'll have to settle for the other. The good thing is i'll be able to keep it under 1000.00 the bad thing is i don't have a 1000.00 lol. Have a chicago trip coming up 4-16 with 3 other photographers and were making an all day event out of it starting at 6 am to 10 pm that night. I would love to get that lens for one day and yes renting is on the table... lol

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 18-Mar-11 11:42 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 & 2 lenses NOW.. or the D300 before :)"
In response to Reply # 0

US

> How does the Nikon D300 compare to the D7000. I use to own
>won and i feel it was sharper camera then the D7000. Then
>again it could be me. David

In a number of ways the D7000 and D300 don't compare. But that doesn't demean the D300 in any way. It's still a fine camera. Yes, the D7000 will reveal less than stellar technique, but that's not so much a fault as it is a trait. The D3x would perform even worse in this particular regard.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7067 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.