Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7052
View in linear mode

Subject: "Black and White HDR with D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Matt Payne Registered since 01st Mar 2011Thu 17-Mar-11 08:31 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Black and White HDR with D7000"

US

Hi all,

Been checking a lot of books out at the library in anticipation of a summer full of great shooting with my new Nikon D7000. I've been reading a lot about HDR and how to process it, etc.

Here is my first attempt at the process for a black and white portrait, using a single exposure as HDR. Would love to hear any feedback you have.

http://www.100summits.com/photography-portfolios/matt-payne/hdr/item/193-black-and-white-hdr-portrait.html

Happy shooting!

-----------------------------------------------------
Kind regards,
Matt Payne

My current gear: Nikon D7000, 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens

Webmaster http://www.100summits.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 18-Mar-11 11:50 PM
11281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Black and White HDR with D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Nice shot Matt! The processing looks great.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Matt Payne Registered since 01st Mar 2011Sat 19-Mar-11 02:50 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Black and White HDR with D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you for the kind words Dave!

Kind regards,
Matt Payne

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Sat 19-Mar-11 03:37 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Black and White HDR with D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

It is a nice image of your son. I couldn't get the before/after mouse over to work on your website, so maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything in your HDR image that couldn't have been accomplished with "normal" adjustments to the original, especially if you'd taken the shot in RAW. The only difference that I can see is that the HDR image has slightly less contrasty midtones than the original; there still are blown highlights and black shadows. A "one shot" HDR, in my understanding, is usually best done by starting with a RAW image as one can recover highlights and shadows more readily.

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Matt Payne Registered since 01st Mar 2011Sat 19-Mar-11 03:46 PM
#4. "RE: Black and White HDR with D7000"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Alan, the images are fairly large, so give the mouse-over a minute to d/l the photo. I suspect you are right about the how/why since I am so new to this stuff

Kind regards,
Matt Payne

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7052 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.