Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7013
View in linear mode

Subject: "Active D lighting and HDR" Previous topic | Next topic
Rlstout Registered since 22nd Jan 2011Thu 17-Mar-11 03:49 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Active D lighting and HDR"

US

This is my first camera active D lighting,so I'm a bit vague on how much impact it has on the image. I find in NX2 it's usually overdone; it seems more subtle done in camera from what I've seen so far. I've only had my D7000 for 10 days, so I'm still getting to know it.

How do you folks set this feature on your camera?

Does D lighting improve or interfere with multiple exposure HDR?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Active D lighting and HDR
jonathanryoung
17th Mar 2011
Mr Moose
17th Mar 2011
mklass Platinum Member
17th Mar 2011
billD80 Silver Member
17th Mar 2011
Rlstout
17th Mar 2011
jonathanryoung
18th Mar 2011
JPJ Silver Member
18th Mar 2011
mklass Platinum Member
18th Mar 2011
billD80 Silver Member
18th Mar 2011

jonathanryoung Registered since 19th Dec 2006Thu 17-Mar-11 10:40 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Active D lighting and HDR"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I would image that <em>active</em> D Lighting would interfere with HDR as the differences would be less between the brackets.

Mr Moose Registered since 05th Jan 2011Thu 17-Mar-11 07:32 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Active D lighting and HDR"
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 17-Mar-11 07:33 PM by Mr Moose

US

If your shooting RAW turn Active D lighting OFF as it can cause under exposure when shooting Raw, ADL is a JPG thing.
If your shooting HDR you should be shooting in Raw mode ideally.

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 17-Mar-11 08:10 PM
5572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Active D lighting and HDR"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

I've shot HDR brackets with ADL on, shooting in RAW, and I don't think it makes any difference. However, I wouldn't use use AUTO ADL since it could introduce lots of wildcards into the exposures.

I use Low or Normal, so I don't know what the effect of High or Extra High would be.

Whatever you do, just make sure the setting is the same for all shots in the bracket.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 17-Mar-11 09:53 PM
2116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Active D lighting and HDR"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I can't see how ADL can hurt, if you're shooting in RAW and then processing first in VIEW NX2 or Capture NX2.

I wouldn't use ADL and go straight to a 3ed party program, whether Photomatix or whatever.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Rlstout Registered since 22nd Jan 2011Thu 17-Mar-11 10:56 PM
#5. "RE: Active D lighting and HDR"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I did a few 3 exposure HDRs yesterday and did not notice ADL was on till later. The photmatix'd results looked good, but different than I see with my D200. I originally thought it's the difference between CMOS and CCD sensors, now I suspect it's the effect of the ADL. The effect was not as dramatic, but I suppose the D lighting is like a form of tone mapping in a way.

jonathanryoung Registered since 19th Dec 2006Fri 18-Mar-11 11:40 AM
#6. "RE: Active D lighting and HDR"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

I stand to be corrected, but ACTIVE D Lighting actually affects the exposure of parts of the picture - this is not a JPEG thing but actually part of the sensor processing. It will affect what is recorded in RAW. The D Lighting post processing option is completely different. Therefore it should affect the RAW picture - and hence my suggestion that it balances the exposure (and thus isn't probably suitable for bracketed shots for HDR use)

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Fri 18-Mar-11 11:57 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Active D lighting and HDR"
In response to Reply # 4
Fri 18-Mar-11 06:17 PM by JPJ

Toronto, CA

ADL, when on in camera, is recorded in the RAW data and cannot be removed after. It applies a tonal/gamma curve to the photo and impacts exposure. In theory it would impact a HDR photo by not properly recording the exposures you have set.

Edit: I re-read this post and realized I did not explain it right. Active D-lighting effects the Raw file by automatically adjusting exposure in scenes where there is a wide DR (think sunny day witha adeep shadow area) in order to preserve as much detail in the shadow areas and highlights, it THEN applies a tonal/gamma curve to make the photo appear properly exposed. If you shut it off after it is used in camera, it will remove the tonal/gamma curve but the automatic exposure compensation is left behind. I personally believe it adjusts the exposure by impacting how the actual photons are interpreted by the sensor. This is why photos never look the smae when you use Active D-Lighting PP, when you did not use it in camera to start with. In that way it is a use it or lose it feature.

Jason

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 18-Mar-11 12:11 PM
5572 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Active D lighting and HDR"
In response to Reply # 7

Tacoma, US

The impact is entirely dependent on what you have ADL set to (Low, Normal, High, Extra High or Auto). Certainly, come of these have a greater impact on the results then others.

But it is a RAW setting and thus will not be be read by Camera Raw or non-Nikon RAW convertors, and it easily deactivated or adjusted in the develop section Capture NX2.

If you are shooting other than RAW, the result, of course, is "baked" into the resulting image.

Purist should probably shoot with ADL off, but in most cases I don't see that it makes much difference when using low or normal. Auto, High and Extra high pretty much try to cover the wide dynamic range without resorting to HDR in post.

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 18-Mar-11 11:49 PM
2116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Active D lighting and HDR"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Here's where I see it...

Yes, ADL may have some effect on HDR images, but who is to say if the effect is negative?

If ADL broadens the dynamic range of a given exposure, so what?

Sensors will do tomorrow what ADL does now. Why this would hamper a good HDR is beyong me. It may well enhance it. Why?

Because a sensor with only a 5-stop dynamic range would really stretch HDR processing, whereas a sensor with 20-stops leeway would be super easy for an HDR program to work with...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #7013 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.