Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #698
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which GPS add-on would you buy?" Previous topic | Next topic
OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Thu 07-Oct-10 10:49 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which GPS add-on would you buy?"
Thu 07-Oct-10 11:03 PM by OpticalSerenity

Atlanta, US

I'm going to pickup the D7000, but I want to make sure each shot is geotagged. I'm not happy about the idea of a tethered solution either from Nikon or one like EasyTag.

So I'm looking at the GISTEQ PhotoTrackr Plus (http://www.gisteq.com/phototrackr/phototrackr-plus-n.php)

or the Foolography Unleashed module
(http://www.foolography.com/products/unleashed-dx000/)

Although, the Unleashed module requires a separate GPS receiver (big down side)

Which do you recommend?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which GPS add-on would you buy?
radwar Silver Member
07th Oct 2010
OpticalSerenity
07th Oct 2010
radwar Silver Member
07th Oct 2010
OpticalSerenity
08th Oct 2010
lisaching
11th Oct 2010

radwar Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Thu 07-Oct-10 11:31 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which GPS add-on would you buy?"
In response to Reply # 0

Cupertino, US

From what I see both of them require a separate GPS receiver... it then transmits the data to the receiver on the camera..

I currently use the Solemata GPS receiver (For the last 1.5 years) and have been extremely happy with it. http://www.solmeta.com/dede/index.html

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Thu 07-Oct-10 11:53 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which GPS add-on would you buy?"
In response to Reply # 1

Atlanta, US

I looked at the Solemata, but wasn't sure about the $249 price. Aside from the LCD screen on it, any reason to get the Pro over the N1 and N2?

If I get a tethered device, how about the Solemata vs. the EasyTag?

radwar Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Thu 07-Oct-10 11:54 PM
301 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which GPS add-on would you buy?"
In response to Reply # 2

Cupertino, US

I have the N2. I dont have the LCD, not sure what it would extra for me..

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Fri 08-Oct-10 01:25 AM
#4. "RE: Which GPS add-on would you buy?"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

Well, according to this review

http://terrywhite.com/techblog/archives/5342

He says one nice thing about the Pro is the LCD shows you that you actually are receiving a GPS fix. Other than that, he says it's more durable. I've heard before the N2 and N1 are not very rugged, is this your experience?

The Pro is so expensive...I really have to find a good couple reasons. All of these GPS add on modules are way overpriced, they probably cost $20 to manufacture.

lisaching Registered since 16th Sep 2010Mon 11-Oct-10 01:43 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which GPS add-on would you buy?"
In response to Reply # 4

NZ

I just think the Solmeta Pro is a little bit complicated. The priority is taking a good photo.

For the bluetooth one, with or without cable is the same. Since the bluetooth is easily influnced by water, metal or some obsticles, the receiver should be very near the main device.

The Easytag one is a choice. Simple operation and integrate with tracking, also the price is reasonable.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #698 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.