Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6954
View in linear mode

Subject: "New D7000 Questions" Previous topic | Next topic
bgphotobug Registered since 23rd Feb 2007Mon 14-Mar-11 08:38 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"New D7000 Questions"

US

I have two questions regarding my new D7000. Perhaps someone can provide answers:

1. With the camera in AF-C mode and 39-point autofocus (or any of the other autofocus area settings), the individual focus points are not displayed in the viewfinder, as they were with my D300. The User's Manual (p. 9) seems to suggest that they should be visible. All I can see is an outline of the overall autofocus area and the single active focus point. The autofocus point is not locked. Is there a setting that will display all of the focus points?

2. There is a small rubber tab at the base of the grip that covers an access point for the optional MB-D11 battery pack. The tab is constantly popping out. It's annoying. I've been considering placing a drop of silicone cement over the bottom to keep it in place. Any suggestions?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: New D7000 Questions
dm1dave Administrator
14th Mar 2011
briantilley Moderator
14th Mar 2011
dm1dave Administrator
14th Mar 2011
bgphotobug
14th Mar 2011
agitater Gold Member
15th Mar 2011
Rlstout
15th Mar 2011

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 14-Mar-11 09:11 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: New D7000 Questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

“...the individual focus points are not displayed in the viewfinder, as they were with my D300.”

The D300 and D300s only display the active focus point the same as the D7000. The only time that more than one focus point is visible is if your set the camera to Auto-Area AF.

“The User's Manual (p. 9) seems to suggest that they should be visible.”

The illustration on page nine is just to show were all of the points are. If you look at the illustrations on pages 38 and 96 they show only one visible focus point.

“Is there a setting that will display all of the focus points?”

No, this is the same as the D300. Only one AF point is visible at a time unless you are in Auto-Area AF the several points can become visible depending on the scene.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 14-Mar-11 09:35 PM
28674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: New D7000 Questions"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

As Dave says, the D7000 AF point display is similar to the D300.

When using Auto-area AF, the D300 does not display the focus points in the viewfinder in AF-C mode, only in AF-S mode.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 14-Mar-11 10:03 PM
11279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: New D7000 Questions"
In response to Reply # 2

Lowden, US

Thanks Brian. I forgot about that difference.

Pages 94 and 95 in the D7000 manual cover the AF-Area options and how the focus points are displayed.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

bgphotobug Registered since 23rd Feb 2007Mon 14-Mar-11 10:46 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: New D7000 Questions"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks, guys, I think I now have this figured out.

Any thoughts about that annoying loose tab on the grip?

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 15-Mar-11 02:31 AM
3956 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: New D7000 Questions"
In response to Reply # 4

Toronto, CA

>Any thoughts about that annoying loose tab on the grip?

What annoying loose tab would that be? There's nothing loose on my D7000 body grip or on the MB-D battery grip.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Rlstout Registered since 22nd Jan 2011Tue 15-Mar-11 03:54 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: New D7000 Questions"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>
>>Any thoughts about that annoying loose tab on the grip?
>
>What annoying loose tab would that be? There's nothing loose
>on my D7000 body grip or on the MB-D battery grip.
>

I also find that little rubber flap occasionally snagging my little finger. I've considered electrical tape, but so far, I just put up with it.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6954 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.