Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6934
View in linear mode

Subject: "Limit on continuous shots?" Previous topic | Next topic
senoj Registered since 14th Mar 2011Mon 14-Mar-11 02:13 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Limit on continuous shots?"

US

Hello everyone! I currently have a Pentax K10D and the D7000 is tempting me mightily. I do a lot of composite star trail photos, which involves taking many consecutive shots and then merging them. I believe some Nikon dSLR's had an arbitrary limit of how many consecutive shots could be taken. (I'm not talking buffer limit, just a programmed limit of, say, 100 continuous shots). Can anyone tell me if the D7000 has any sort of limit like that?
Also, can noise reduction for long exposures be turned off?
I hope this was understandable, thanks in advance, John

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Limit on continuous shots?
luckyphoto Silver Member
14th Mar 2011
elec164 Silver Member
14th Mar 2011
JosephK Silver Member
14th Mar 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
14th Mar 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
14th Mar 2011
senoj
15th Mar 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
15th Mar 2011
senoj
15th Mar 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
16th Mar 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
16th Mar 2011
mholka
16th Mar 2011

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Mon 14-Mar-11 02:32 AM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Limit on continuous shots?"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

The D7000 has an interval timer feature that allows you to set an interval in hours, minutes and seconds. It has a three-digit place for for the number of intervals and a 2-digit place holder for number of consecutive shots per interval. If the memory card(s) fill up, the timer shuts off.

The timer can also be programmed to begin at a future time, but I don't know the details.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 14-Mar-11 03:55 PM
1891 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Limit on continuous shots?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>and a 2-digit place holder for number of consecutive shots per
>interval.

The D7000 Interval Timer only has one place for number of shots in an interval with three places for the number of intervals allowing for up to 8991 images.

It depends on what you mean by continuous shooting I would think. Do you mean via one press of the shutter or multiple presses? As pointed out one press in CH mode is limited to 100 exposures. I never tried it but it appears using the interval timer would allow you to take as many shots as your card can hold in most cases.

Pete

JosephK Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 14-Mar-11 02:48 AM
3701 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Limit on continuous shots?"
In response to Reply # 0

Seattle, WA, US

According to the PDF version of the D7000 manual, the max continuous shots does top out at 100. However, using the "interval timer" feature should get you around that limit.

The long exposure noise reduction can be turned off.

http://nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/noprint/D7000_ENnoprint.pdf

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D,
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Mon 14-Mar-11 06:19 PM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Limit on continuous shots?"
In response to Reply # 2

Port Charlotte, US

Correct, you are. Only a single digit for the number of shots per interval. Good catch.

We could answer the question more accurately if we knew the desired duration of each exposure, interval between exposures and the number of intervals.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Mon 14-Mar-11 08:01 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Limit on continuous shots?"
In response to Reply # 0

South Lake Tahoe, US

John, I too shoot star tails. I'm not thinking your going to like the interval of the d7k. You cannot use bulb, and you only have a exposure time of 30 seconds. I'm not remembering the amount of shoots you can take ( maybe 99 ) but you can get a interval meter for 20 to 30 dollars online that allows you to shoot 400 images at any duration you want up to one second shy of 100 hours. Where I shoot it is extremely dark. I would have to shoot at f1.8 at 30 seconds with an ISO of 800. I like to shoot at 2 minutes to close down the aperture and that requires an external timer. Don

senoj Registered since 14th Mar 2011Tue 15-Mar-11 05:49 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Limit on continuous shots?"
In response to Reply # 5

US

Thank you all for your good responses! I currently shoot with my Pentax as follows: Manual exposure (usually 30 seconds, f8, iso 400), continuous shooting triggered with a cable release that is held in the "shoot" position. So in answer to some of your questions, my goal is to shoot constantly, with no interval between shots and the only time between one exposure and the next being the miror going up and down. No more delay between each shot than some sports shooter blasting away at 8 fps. The number of shots I take in a row varies, usually I go for 20 to 50 minutes, so that would be 40 to 100 shots. HOWEVER, sometimes I use either shorter shutter speeds or longer total times, which of course requires more total frames. In short, I would like to just keep firing indefinitely with no gap between shots.

TakeTwo- I've tried one of those Chinese interval timers, I wasn't able to get it set to fire without at least a one second pause between each shot. Also, (on a different subject), for making composite star trails I like to use a free program available at startrails.de . It's written by Germans, but is in English. It's all I've ever used so I can't say whether it's better or worse than say Photoshop. I find it to be easy to use and the Dark Frame Subtraction option really cleans up hot pixels.
Thanks again, John

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 15-Mar-11 11:25 AM
3085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Limit on continuous shots?"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

What about shooting HD Video?
My D7000 goes 20 minutes and with a simple push of the red button I can start a second, third, etc.
Can this be done or is the resolution to poor?

senoj Registered since 14th Mar 2011Tue 15-Mar-11 08:36 PM
#8. "RE: Limit on continuous shots?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Video might be a good solution otherwise, but it wouldn't give me a long enough shutter speed. Also, that would be an awful lot of frames to merge!
Thanks, John

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 16-Mar-11 12:25 AM
3085 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Limit on continuous shots?"
In response to Reply # 8

Monterey Bay, US

I was thinking that there was a slow motion setting.
Perhaps that only works in playback.

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Wed 16-Mar-11 02:09 AM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Limit on continuous shots?"
In response to Reply # 6
Wed 16-Mar-11 03:11 AM by TakeTwo

South Lake Tahoe, US

>TakeTwo- I've tried one of those Chinese interval timers, I
>wasn't able to get it set to fire without at least a one
>second pause between each shot. Also, (on a different
>subject), for making composite star trails I like to use a
>free program available at startrails.de . It's written by
>Germans, but is in English. It's all I've ever used so I
>can't say whether it's better or worse than say Photoshop. I
>find it to be easy to use and the Dark Frame Subtraction
>option really cleans up hot pixels.
> Thanks again, John

John, you are correct, as one second is the minimum delay. And it does leave gaps in the final image. I don't know how it does but it does. I remember reading an article about someone using a shutter release that got down to .1 seconds. I'll check and see if I can find the link. And I do use star-trails and it works great. I also read a thread that said the photomatix can be set up to do star trails too. Don

Edit: I found an article online that says you can set your shutter to continuous with a cable release and the set your duration to the length you want(30 seconds with the d7000) and the camera will re-fire immediately. Sounds right. I think there is a 100 picture limit max. on continuous shutter release on the d7000

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Wed 16-Mar-11 04:13 PM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Limit on continuous shots?"
In response to Reply # 10

Brownstown Twp, US

Couldn't you use Nikon's Picture Control software to do this? I know someone who did with time-lapse of a city scene. Looked really cool.

But this requires a laptop to be connected to the camera during this kind of operation.

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

--Martin
www.ExclusivePhotoWorks.com
Nikon Body's
D800e, D300s, D7000, D90, D80, F100

Lenses:
18 - 200 F3.5-5.6 VRII, 70-200 F2.8 VR II,
18 - 105 F3.5-5.6 VR, 18 - 135 F3.5-5.6,
35 - 70 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 70 - 300 F4-4.5,
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6934 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.