Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6926
View in linear mode

Subject: "Depth of field Preview button" Previous topic | Next topic
krm100 Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2010Sun 13-Mar-11 11:13 PM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Depth of field Preview button"

Whitestone, US

When I press the depth of field preview button the viewfinder gets a little dim, but I do not see a difference. Is there a subtle difference that I am missing? i also could not see a difference on my D90.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Depth of field Preview button
luckyphoto Silver Member
13th Mar 2011
krm100 Gold Member
14th Mar 2011
JosephK Silver Member
14th Mar 2011
Bald Eagle
14th Mar 2011
dm1dave Administrator
14th Mar 2011
mhiker Silver Member
15th Mar 2011

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sun 13-Mar-11 11:42 PM
739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Depth of field Preview button"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

The viewfinder gets dim because when you use DOF preview you're viewing through the aperture diameter as it will be when the photo is taken. For example, if you use aperture priority and select f22 and use DOF preview, things will get REAL, REAL dark!

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

krm100 Gold Member Nikonian since 13th Jan 2010Mon 14-Mar-11 01:12 AM
54 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Depth of field Preview button"
In response to Reply # 1

Whitestone, US

When I press the DOF button, I just see a dimming. I do not see in focus and out of focus areas.

JosephK Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 17th Apr 2006Mon 14-Mar-11 02:17 AM
4108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Depth of field Preview button"
In response to Reply # 2

Seattle, WA, US

The most out-of-focus viewing will be seen with the lens wide open and bright. As you stop down the lens, along with getting darker, parts further in front and behind the focus plane will also get more in focus.

---------+---------+---------+---------+
Joseph K
Seattle, WA, USA

D200, 17-55mm f/2.8 DX, 70-200mm f/2.8 VR, 50mm f/1.4 D,
18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 DX, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED, D70S

Bald Eagle Registered since 24th Dec 2008Mon 14-Mar-11 03:37 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Depth of field Preview button"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I have always felt that this was a useless feature - I cannot afford to depend on what I can bearly see to have elements important to the image to be focus- better to learn your lenses, hyperfocal distance etc to be sure about the sharpness of your image.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 14-Mar-11 09:30 PM
11280 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Depth of field Preview button"
In response to Reply # 2

Lowden, US

This feature works best when you are shooting with a very narrow DoF like in macro photography.

If you have a macro lens or a fast aperture prime, a 50mm f/1.8 or 85mm f/1.4 for example, and focus very close to your subject you will be able to see the increased DoF as the lens stops down when you press the button.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

mhiker Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2010Tue 15-Mar-11 02:27 AM
67 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Depth of field Preview button"
In response to Reply # 0

Holiday, US

I also consider the DOF preview button a useless feature. I assigned it to call the Non-CPU lens data entered on my D7000 for the ability to use my AIS manual focus Nikkor lenses.

Michael

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6926 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.