Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6852
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which GGS?" Previous topic | Next topic
dscar Registered since 20th Dec 2007Sat 12-Mar-11 06:54 AM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which GGS?"

Round Rock, US

Considering that there is a lot of screen real estate to protect now that I've upgraded from a D50, I'm contemplating better screen protection (a much more durable solution than the plastic protector). There seem to be several different versions of the GGS protectors that would fit the D7000. Any thoughts as to which are most recommended?

-Adhesive based applied directly to screen
-Clip-on D90 version w/o integrated viewfinder coverage
-Clip-on D7000 version w/extension to cover viewfinder

Thanks!

Scott

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which GGS?
KnightPhoto Gold Member
12th Mar 2011
dscar
12th Mar 2011
nhorvat2 Silver Member
13th Mar 2011
dscar
25th Mar 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
25th Mar 2011
RockyIII Gold Member
25th Mar 2011
billD80 Silver Member
25th Mar 2011
jckingca Silver Member
11th Apr 2011

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 12-Mar-11 04:43 PM
4213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which GGS?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

>-Adhesive based applied directly to screen
>-Clip-on D90 version w/o integrated viewfinder coverage
>-Clip-on D7000 version w/extension to cover viewfinder
>

No experience but, I'm not sure I would want anything covering the viewfinder? The viewfinder is so important, I wouldn't want to lose any visibility. Would be interested to hear any user comments.

I have an adhesive Korean LCD cover, I don't think it's GGS but it works great.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

dscar Registered since 20th Dec 2007Sat 12-Mar-11 07:43 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which GGS?"
In response to Reply # 1

Round Rock, US

>...I'm not sure I would want anything covering
>the viewfinder? The viewfinder is so important, I wouldn't
>want to lose any visibility...

Agreed. That's what I was thinking, and one of the reason's I thought I'd ask. I've never had any problems protecting the viewfinder, or thought it to be in peril.

nhorvat2 Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Nov 2006Sun 13-Mar-11 01:19 AM
769 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which GGS?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 13-Mar-11 01:20 AM by nhorvat2

Highland, US

I always had an GGS on my cameras. The one adhesive applied directly on the screen. It's just perfect, does not obstruct the view like the original screen protector does, it's like invisible. Easy to clean. I can't tell you how good the protection is, I never dropped the camera. Also, one thing, for some is important, for me does not matter at all: it will cover the "Nikon" writing you have on your LCD, and will show the GGS.

I use to buy it from ebay, but coming from China it will take a good two weeks, so for my D300 I got it from amazon, same price for me, I have the amazon prime, so I did not pay shipping.

dscar Registered since 20th Dec 2007Fri 25-Mar-11 12:01 AM
#4. "RE: Which GGS?"
In response to Reply # 3

Round Rock, US

Well, I've tried both the GGS clip on and the stick on, and have to say that I much prefer the stick-on kind. I was never confident that the clip-on kind wouldn't just pop off, and definitely felt like it decreased visibility, or at the very least affected off-axis viewing.

The stick-on kind seemed to have zero effect on visibility.

Just thought I'd provide an update.

Scott

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 25-Mar-11 01:06 AM
4213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Which GGS?"
In response to Reply # 4

Alberta, CA

Yep, I'd even go so far as to say much improved visibility as compared to the factory-supplied one.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Fri 25-Mar-11 01:34 AM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which GGS?"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

I put a Giottos SP8302 glass screen protector on my D7000 today, and it is a great improvement over the plastic Nikon BM-11. I've used Giottos before and prefer them to others that I've tried.

Now, if Nikon would only use sapphire glass LCD monitors, we wouldn't need screen protectors.

Rocky

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 25-Mar-11 10:38 AM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which GGS?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I put a GGS stick-on version on my LCD's back and top. Great product, and yes, I think the view is improved over the plasic Nikon protector.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

jckingca Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2010Mon 11-Apr-11 04:58 PM
137 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which GGS?"
In response to Reply # 6

CA

Rocky, thanks for recommending and mentioning the Giottos model number. Mine arrived today and I am really impressed with the perfect fit on my D7000. Visibility is much better than the plastic Nikon BM-11.

John

-John
http://www.jcking.ca/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6852 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.