Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6847
View in linear mode

Subject: "Couple Theatre shots ISO 3200 and 1400" Previous topic | Next topic
KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 12-Mar-11 02:12 AM
4184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Couple Theatre shots ISO 3200 and 1400"

Alberta, CA

Just doing a little editing tonight and I thought I'd post some initial shots. I am finding the D7000 as a good alternate camera in theatre. I am using the D7000 for the wider shots (24-70) and for when I want to shoot quietly and discretely - the D7000 is such a nice quiet camera. I am still progressing with the camera so still lots to learn but am pushing the camera to higher ISOs and seeing how I like the results. I do find I have to be fairly conservative exposing these or the highlights blow but I am finding the D7000 pretty usable up to ISO 3600.

The first sample is ISO 3200 and the second is ISO 1400 and is of course very clean. No noise reduction applied and these are cropped slightly and sharpened fairly heavily in post, so if anything that accentuates the noise. I am fairly happy with these.

Note I also had some at ISO 4000, 5000, and 6400 but I would relegate those lofty heights to the D700 instead due to some blotchy noise on the backgrounds but more importantly a lot of difficulty with blown highlights due to the stage lights. But I think I can push the D7000 to Auto-ISO ISO 3200 fairly dependably.

That is my daughter in front left of second photo This is their second year of college and they have come along way, this was a really high quality performance of the play called Company!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Couple Theatre shots ISO 3200 and 1400
JPJ Silver Member
12th Mar 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
12th Mar 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
22nd Mar 2011
MstrBones Silver Member
22nd Mar 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
23rd Mar 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
23rd Mar 2011
BrianS Silver Member
25th Mar 2011

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sat 12-Mar-11 03:08 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Couple Theatre shots ISO 3200 and 1400"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Great shots Steve. How do you like the balance of the 24-70 on the d7000?

Your 3200 shot is a good example of what was discussed in a previous thread. The amount of noise is but one of the factors that go into the final quality of your image. Here you have observable noise; but looking at the detail retention (the texture in the clothing, the face details), the colour retention and the grain of the noise the resulting image is quite pleasing.

The performance looks like a great time, I saw Company in New York several years back and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Sat 12-Mar-11 05:57 PM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Couple Theatre shots ISO 3200 and 1400"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

The second photo is a classic! It's good to see good news about the D7000. Great shots - thanks for posting.

Visit my gallery.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 22-Mar-11 02:11 AM
4184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Couple Theatre shots ISO 3200 and 1400"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 22-Mar-11 02:13 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

>It's good to see good news
>about the D7000. Great shots - thanks for posting.

Thanks guys. I likewise agree the D7000 seems to be a great camera. I treat it as I would my other cameras:

- I fine tune AF on all my f2.8, f1.4, and super-telephoto lenses (I don't see this as indicating a problem but rather a very real benefit and critical feature of the camera)

- I think in the heat of the moment in dim conditions the AF misses just slightly more than my other AF cameras (D300/D700) but not enough that the D7000 causes me much grief.

- lots of great camera features all around.

- I sharpen all my photos from all cameras in post (all digital cameras require this due to the anti-alias filter).

- noise handling seems a smidge better than the D300S/D90/D5000 class of sensors and that is much appreciated.
- I could NR photo number one but a wanted to leave it for illustration purposes and I agree with Jason about the retention of detail even when some noise is present. Again I would say superior to the D300 class and at least for now Nikon's best DX camera in that respect.
- Small observation that noise is really only problematic on what I would call large flat surfaces and rarely on my subject itself. Large flat surfaces are eminently selective noise reduction candidates.
- I can use selective noise reduction and selective sharpening when needed (as I do with all my cameras). I'm not saying I do this on a volume basis but hey, the technique is always available.
- I would shoot this camera to ISO 3200 and I even have an ISO 3600, 4000, and 4500 image that I retained from this shoot since the photo (subject) itself was half decent.

- I use the 24-70 a lot on the camera, without grip, and it balances very well IMO.

Am continuing along quite happy with the camera! (and I still think it is a bargain)

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Tue 22-Mar-11 11:22 AM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Couple Theatre shots ISO 3200 and 1400"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 22-Mar-11 11:23 AM by MstrBones

AW

Steve,

Nice clean looking shots, at least in these small versions.

I was curious about your comment about exposure - "do find I have to be fairly conservative exposing these or the highlights blow"

You have contrast set to auto, according to the exif data. Nikon tends to have a rather severe contrast setting in the camera. Part of the highlight issue might be mitigated by setting the contrast to minimum and then doing your contrast curve in your photo editor.

If you have the RAW images from this shoot and NX2, you can make a few easy changes to see if that has any effect.

Just my 2 cents.

""

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 23-Mar-11 03:08 AM
#5. "RE: Couple Theatre shots ISO 3200 and 1400"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 23-Mar-11 11:33 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

You raise an excellent point David. I use the neutral picture control for Birding and Theatre. It was with Birding in mind I set Auto-Contrast but for Theatre, due to the spotlights, I can't afford to be bumping up the contrast. I shall have to create my own picture control just for Theatre and give that a whorl!

I will also give reducing contrast a try in post to see if that helps tame the highlights problem which is more about the lighting than the camera I am shooting.

Meanwhile since writing the above I was doing some PP and was impressed how much I could actually rescue blown highlights. On this shot, the actress' face was COMPLETELY blown out, but ramping exposure down a full stop and using Capture NX Protect Highlights slider, was able to rescue the photo. Not bad considering this was ISO 3600. I will post the original at a later date for comparison. Sometimes you want to rescue a photo not because it is your best work but because it is meaningful to the recipient - in this case Maury is a real fighter of an actress and has come a long way and fought to improve and entertain the audience. All of these kids have such big hearts!

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Wed 23-Mar-11 11:18 PM
465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Couple Theatre shots ISO 3200 and 1400"
In response to Reply # 5

Lafayette, US

The pictures really illustrate the aliveness and energy of the young people and the play.

Really nice pictures. I didn't notice the noise at all.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

BrianS Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2007Fri 25-Mar-11 05:02 PM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Couple Theatre shots ISO 3200 and 1400"
In response to Reply # 6

Longmeadow, US

Thanks for the comparison.
I have been looking at this camera since it came out.
The more images I see the better I feel about it.

Thanks!
Brian

My Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6847 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.