Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6834
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!" Previous topic | Next topic
rfc143 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2011Fri 11-Mar-11 08:01 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"

US

Had it a week; poured over the manual, focusing on EXPOSURE basics...use in Manual mode, Aperature, Shutter speed etc. I want to know how to control the thing before I just let Auto do it's thing.

So, today, first time I was actually USING it when the chips were down...at my son's Special Olympics Snow Shoe event.

I was late, rushing, barely got to the finish line before he did and was in auto mode...The photos are under-exposed, probably due to the averaging light meter looking at overcast snow.

I recognized the problem, but could NOT change the exposure to spot or center weighted! Pushing the exposure method button near the shutter release does NOTHING. I've gone through every menu twice. Nikon ought to talk to Apple for a little UI advice!

Where the heck do you enable that button?

Thanks. I'll upload some of the dark photos soon for advice on how to fix 'em, but for now, I'd be happy to just figure this out.

PS: He got two gold and one Silver medal!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!
briantilley Moderator
11th Mar 2011
rfc143 Silver Member
12th Mar 2011
JPJ Silver Member
11th Mar 2011
visionguru
11th Mar 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
12th Mar 2011
shootersdesireIN Silver Member
12th Mar 2011
gregor1 Silver Member
12th Mar 2011
briantilley Moderator
12th Mar 2011
visionguru
15th Mar 2011
briantilley Moderator
15th Mar 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
12th Mar 2011
rfc143 Silver Member
12th Mar 2011
briantilley Moderator
12th Mar 2011
rfc143 Silver Member
12th Mar 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
12th Mar 2011
greenwing Gold Member
12th Mar 2011
rfc143 Silver Member
13th Mar 2011
greenwing Gold Member
13th Mar 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
13th Mar 2011
rfc143 Silver Member
13th Mar 2011

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Fri 11-Mar-11 08:21 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

Welcome

To switch between Matrix, Centre-weighted and Spot Metering, you need to press the Metering button (behind and to the left of the Shutter Release) and at the same time rotate the rear Command Dial (the inset wheel just above your thumb on the rear of the camera).

You'll need to be in P, S, A or M mode to do this - in the Scene Modes you can't change the type of Metering.

Another approach when shooting a scene with a lot of snow is to apply a little +ve Exposure Compensation - check page 107 in the D7000 manual.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

rfc143 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2011Sat 12-Mar-11 11:43 AM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>Welcome
>
>
>You'll need to be in P, S, A or M mode to do this - in the
>Scene Modes you can't change the type of Metering.
>
>Another approach when shooting a scene with a lot of snow is
>to apply a little +ve Exposure Compensation - check page 107
>in the D7000 manual.

Thanks. I was "behind the curve" on two accounts. Did not remember that metering changing can only be done in P,S,A or M. With a little more time (and confidence that I had learned those modes), I'd probably have done fine, except for #2: Not remembering the procedure to change the metering; still have my F4 controls on the brain.

With regard to the other comment on reading the manual: Done that and will continue to do that again and again; not too practical an idea though while shooting at the finish line of the race, though.

That's where familiarity with the hardware/software pays off, and sometimes, failing that, so can the intuitiveness of the interface.

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Fri 11-Mar-11 09:23 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Shooting in snowy environments is tricky, underexposure is very normal. Most people add +1-2 exposure by way of the method Brian suggested to get the exposure right. The meter wants to interpret all that white snow as grey.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

visionguru Registered since 03rd Nov 2008Fri 11-Mar-11 10:11 PM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 11-Mar-11 10:12 PM by visionguru

Chicago, US

".....I've gone through every menu twice. Nikon ought to talk to Apple for a little UI advice!"

All you need to do is finding your answer in the manual once. Goto "Index" find "metering" then to page 105.

Apple UI sucks, BTW.

Jay
- Chicago Nikonian

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 12-Mar-11 01:31 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 3

Port Charlotte, US

A couple of suggestions -

1. Don't rely totally on the manual. Several 3rd party books are now available that go into better explanations and usage of the D7000. An excellent field guide was just released by Thom Hogan. Here's the link if you're interested.

http://www.bythom.com/nikond7000guide.htm

There are several others, but this seems to be the most comprehensive and his other guides have been well received.

2. "Repetition is the mother of skill" - reinforce the necessary skills with practice before you need them the next time. Sounds obvious, but the majority of people don't do it.

Good luck with your son's next event.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

shootersdesireIN Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jan 2011Sat 12-Mar-11 01:42 PM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 5
Sat 12-Mar-11 01:46 PM by shootersdesireIN

Indianapolis, US

Nikon once you registered your camera there are links to videos that will guide you through the camera also learn your focus modes Auto, Auto3d is nice, Single but in single mode you can still have the 39 points at your disposal. This i prefer but i found auto 3d very helpful as well. You will have troubles focusing until you understand how metering & Focus work together...Use single mode for still photos U1 and Auto mode for anything that moves U2. Besides Thom Hogan Dictionary lol. Nikon D7000 Digital field guide by J. Dennis Thomas is available for 18.00. This you can pickup at any camera shop

gregor1 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Feb 2009Sat 12-Mar-11 07:28 PM
41 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 3

Ringwood, US

"Apple UI sucks, BTW."

What are you bud, a nine year old? Apple blows away everything else, which is why you are so peevish about your selected OS!

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 12-Mar-11 07:55 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 8

Paignton, GB

Let's stick to the topic and avoid personal remarks, please.

Thank you!

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

visionguru Registered since 03rd Nov 2008Tue 15-Mar-11 10:51 AM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 15-Mar-11 10:57 AM by visionguru

Chicago, US

gregor1: "What are you bud, a nine year old? Apple blows away everything else, which is why you are so peevish about your selected OS!"

Nothing personal.

I'm sure I'm not the impressionable 9-year old Apple fanboy here.

Actually, I've been using Apple since 1983 and have done some work on technological and psychological aspects of computer user interface. I'm familiar with systems from main frame to embedded devices and all kinds of OSes. Among all the systems I have to use, Apple's mouse is the worst, that's one important UI for a window based OS.

You maybe wowed by iPad, iPhone's UI, frankly, that's the touch screen technology, not exactly "Apple UI". As long as Apple putting form ahead of function (like in their mouse and touch pad design), I'll repeat this "Apple UI sucks".

Jay
- Chicago Nikonian

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 15-Mar-11 01:11 PM
#20. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 19

Paignton, GB

Please refrain from remarks outside the subject area of this D7000 Forum.

Thank you.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Sat 12-Mar-11 02:06 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

Welcome to Nikonians from someone who has gone from being a newbie, to thinking he has this stuff down, to realizing just how lost he really is. You can learn a lot here.

Just in case I am not telling you something you already know, your underexposed photos can probably be improved using software like Photoshop, Lightroom, Capture, OR for you Apple users. Aperture.

This is especially true if you shot them in RAW format. I have become an expert at salvaging poorly taken pictures.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

rfc143 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2011Sat 12-Mar-11 09:37 PM
#10. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 12-Mar-11 09:38 PM by rfc143

US

I'm using Aperature. Here are a couple of shots. They are un-retouched jpegs from the NEF originals. I tried brightening the shadows, but it took on a very odd, irridescent look. Should I be trying something else? There's only about 5 million knobs and dials in the program!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 12-Mar-11 09:53 PM
#11. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 10

Paignton, GB

We have an Apple Software & Postprocessing Forum where you'll find a lot of great advice on using Aperture

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

rfc143 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2011Sat 12-Mar-11 10:23 PM
#14. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 11
Sun 13-Mar-11 08:45 AM by briantilley

US

I just discovered that. I'll repost the question there and see if I can cut and paste the link to the photos. The input here has been great; if I can get some guidance specifically with Aperature, it'll be a home run.
Thanks!

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Sat 12-Mar-11 10:00 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"

Lafayette, US

Is this what you had in mind? I brought your image into Lightroom3 and hit "Auto." More can be done.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sat 12-Mar-11 10:13 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"

Yorkshire, GB

I used Topaz Adjust 4's 'Dramatic' preset (in Paint Shop Pro) to get these. I'm sure I could do better than this with the originals and a bit more time to adjust sliders rather than use a preset. This was a one-click fix, though.

Chris

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

rfc143 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2011Sun 13-Mar-11 10:02 AM
#15. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 13

US

What I like about these is that you didn't just brighten everything. Now, you can actually see some texture in the snow, but his face is still nicely illuminated. I need to learn what the "dramatic" effect in Paint Shop Pro does, then translate it to Aperature. Thanks!

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sun 13-Mar-11 06:54 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 15
Sun 13-Mar-11 07:06 PM by greenwing

Yorkshire, GB

Topaz Adjust is a plugin for Photoshop that, conveniently, works with anything that will accept Photoshop plugins. In my case, Paint Shop Pro, and I know it works with both Aperture and iPhoto. I suggest you download it for a 30-day trial.

Hope this helps
Chris

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sun 13-Mar-11 05:04 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

The easy bit is your settings were not right - if they were you would have got a better exposure. Matrix allows quite well for any snow in the picture area.
Fortunately your images can "easily" be salvaged - including by using shadow protection in Nikon's NX2.
"Easily" is relative. Correcting 3 or 4 pictures is OK but 50 or more takes time.
As an F4 user you will know how important getting to know a camera before taking important shots can be.
Digressing if you are coming straight from an F4 do not apply the exposure compensation in matrix that you did with film. The reason is matrix does a good job of working out and applying exposure compensation automatically.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

rfc143 Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Mar 2011Sun 13-Mar-11 08:49 PM
#18. "RE: D7000 Newbie in serious need of help!"
In response to Reply # 16

US

>As an F4 user you will know how important getting to know a
>camera before taking important shots can be.
>Digressing if you are coming straight from an F4 do not
>apply the exposure compensation in matrix that you did with
>film. The reason is matrix does a good job of working out and
>applying exposure compensation automatically.

That's good to know about the difference between film and Digital. i've got a lot to learn (as in, everything all over again!)
I looked at the metadata for these shots:
Exposure Program: Unknown
Metering Mode: Pattern
Exposure: Auto Exposure

I don't even know what these are, except that I THOUGHT I was in full "Auto" on the camera.
Does the data above support that I was?

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6834 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.