Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #682
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?" Previous topic | Next topic
MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 06-Oct-10 06:02 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?"

Livermore, CA, US

I've been eyeing the D7000... as blashemous as this may seem, I actually have a probject where integrated video may come in handy.

Looking over the D7K, I see a lot I like: The user modes on the dial (although why only 2?), the magnesium body/weather sealing. HD video.

Image quality I expect to be a wash in the ISO 100-400 range, but I expect the D7K to excell at high ISO. Does the base ISO 100 mean there's a Lo-1 down to ISO 50? That would be very good.

What looks missing to me: lack of a dedicated AF-ON button, and lack of a 10-pin accessory connector.

What do other D200/300/300s users think?

Larry - a Bay Area Nikonian
My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?
cockers Silver Member
06th Oct 2010
MotoMannequin Moderator
06th Oct 2010
JPJ Silver Member
07th Oct 2010
km6xz Moderator
07th Oct 2010
MotoMannequin Moderator
07th Oct 2010
km6xz Moderator
07th Oct 2010
briantilley Moderator
07th Oct 2010
MotoMannequin Moderator
07th Oct 2010
innershell
10th Oct 2010
ericbowles Moderator
11th Oct 2010

cockers Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Wed 06-Oct-10 06:08 PM
4195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 06-Oct-10 06:10 PM by cockers

Plover, US

Changing over battery system and memory cards would add several hundred dollars to the value equation. I'd need to replace 6 batteries and a bunch of cards if I were to go the D7000 route. I think I'd rather snag a 300S.

Actually I feel I don't need more Capability than my D200 offers . . . I need more Opportunity to get out and shoot!!

Al

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Wed 06-Oct-10 06:23 PM
8582 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 06-Oct-10 06:25 PM by MotoMannequin

Livermore, CA, US

>Changing over battery system and memory cards would add
>several hundred dollars to the value equation. I'd need to
>replace 6 batteries and a bunch of cards if I were to go the
>D7000 route.

Ah yes, I would have put that on the list, until yesterday, when my house was burglarized and they took every last piece of camera equipment. A clean slate changes the equation. Nikon has always been good about battery compatibility between, say D50/70/100, D80/200, D90/300. I'd guess the new D800 & D400 probably share a battery with the D7K.

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Thu 07-Oct-10 02:31 AM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?"
In response to Reply # 1

Toronto, CA

You would actually only have to replace 3 batteries because the D7000 battery gets 2x the number of shots as the last incarnation.

Still a significant expense though.

Jason

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 07-Oct-10 05:20 AM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 07-Oct-10 05:25 AM by km6xz

St Petersburg, RU

Sorry to hear of your loss. Did they take everything or just camera gear. If primarily camera gear, it might have been someone who you know, who was aware of what equipment you had.

Nikon and other sells a shoe-to-PC adapter for less than $18 that might put cable in a more convenient location.
The AF/AE-L button is programmable so it can be set to AF-On
One issue that some cite as a deal breaker is the 1 fps second lower frame rate.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 07-Oct-10 05:31 AM
#5. "RE: D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?"
In response to Reply # 4

Livermore, CA, US

>Sorry to hear of your loss. Did they take everything or just
>camera gear. If primarily camera gear, it might have been
>someone who you know, who was aware of what equipment you had.

Really I've ruled that out. They also took a laptop, were carrying out a bunch of wine which they left lying on the floor when they came across the camera bags. Looks like a smash-and-grab.
>One issue that some cite as a deal breaker is the 1 fps second
>lower frame rate.

1fps slower than? D300 was 6fps, I thought D7K was too.

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Thu 07-Oct-10 12:49 PM
3292 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?"
In response to Reply # 5

St Petersburg, RU

The D300s is rated at 7fps without a grip and 8 with the extra power from the grip. The D300 was 6fps.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Thu 07-Oct-10 02:25 PM
28673 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?"
In response to Reply # 6

Paignton, GB

>The D300s is rated at 7fps without a grip and 8 with the
>extra power from the grip...

...when using an EN-EL4/4a or AA's in the grip.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

MotoMannequin Moderator Awarded for his extraordinary skills in landscape and wildlife photography Nikonian since 11th Jan 2006Thu 07-Oct-10 06:10 PM
#8. "RE: D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?"
In response to Reply # 7

Livermore, CA, US

Thanks for the clarification Stan & Brian

My Nikonians gallery

www.tempered-light.com

innershell Registered since 17th Sep 2010Sun 10-Oct-10 10:08 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?"
In response to Reply # 8

CA

I am in the same boat with camera choices. I have a D700 that is rather old, but rather than replace it, I want to buy backup body for wedding work. I think I might go with the D7000 because I already have 2x 16GB Extreme IV SD cards. Too expensive to go through the trouble of buying more CF cards with the same capacity.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 11-Oct-10 12:18 PM
8468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 what's missing for a D300 user?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Larry

Sorry about the theft of your gear.

I have a D7000 on order - primarily for my wife. She would like a smaller lighter camera than her current D300 as she has a bit of arthritis in her hands.

The Image Doctors podcast with Bob Krist opened my mind to the smaller camera bodies like the D90. The D7000 is a clear upgrade to the D90 - and in many respects trumps the D300 and D700.

16.2 megapixels is a clear upgrade to most alternatives. Of course, you have to assume the next generation cameras will all have 16mb or more.

The D7000 will deliver 6 fps - not 1 fps as others have posted. That should meet most needs, but is just short of the D300 with grip. There is no mention of whether the new grip boosts frame rate - but I assume not.

I assume you would like the battery grip - MB-D11. I am debating it for my wife as it adds weight - but it also doubles battery capacity. The grip is a new model and there is no mention of other cameras that use the grip. Either way you need two EN-EL15 batteries. This is a new battery from Nikon.

The AF area has 39 AF points for dynamic AF - and can be used with 9, 21, or 39 points. While slightly below the D300 51 points, as a practical matter it does not make a difference since many of us use the 21 point option.

Exposure Compensation now has 5 stops up or down. That's an improvement from the current 3 stops and potentially useful for HDR.

Two SD card slots is a nice plus - but does mean you need to buy SD cards. It appears that 16gb cards would be a good choice - especially since video can require a lot of storage.

Video has new options of 24fps and 30fps - as well as image size choices. That should help both future proofing and allowing for different client needs.

The lowest native ISO is ISO 100. At the high end - the camera offers ISO 6400 and High 2 above that.

All in all, the D7000 seems to be as good or better than almost all current models. From my perspective, if you want a light weight body for hiking, travel, or other reasons, this is a fantastic choice.

BUT - the next generation of the D300, D700, and D3 have not been announced. My plan is to hold out for a D700 or D3 replacement.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #682 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.