Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6789
View in linear mode

Subject: "Second body" Previous topic | Next topic
Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Thu 10-Mar-11 09:45 PM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Second body"

Netanya, IL

Not sure where to post this.
I have - and love - a D7000.
At the end of next month, we're going on an extended and expensive trip to Africa and nothing would pxxx me off more than to have a camera fault and come back with few or no pictures. I know that this will not happen, but . . . .
What would be a recommendation for a second body? Preferably light weight and light cost. Possibly used.
MTIAs
Nathan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Second body
dm1dave Administrator
10th Mar 2011
Captain Rich Silver Member
11th Mar 2011
Ginsbury Gold Member
11th Mar 2011
kentak Silver Member
11th Mar 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
11th Mar 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
11th Mar 2011
jadiniz
12th Mar 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
12th Mar 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
12th Mar 2011
Ginsbury Gold Member
12th Mar 2011
dscar
12th Mar 2011
Ginsbury Gold Member
12th Mar 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
13th Mar 2011
Ginsbury Gold Member
13th Mar 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
13th Mar 2011

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Thu 10-Mar-11 10:24 PM
11307 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

To keep the cost low, the size small and the functionality close to your D7000 I would suggest a used D90.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Fri 11-Mar-11 01:18 AM
1179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 1

Savannah, US

D3100. You'd hardly know it's there and it's very capable.

Rich

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Fri 11-Mar-11 10:32 AM
337 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 2

Netanya, IL

Thanks, Dave and Rich. I seem to be favoring the D3100 - it being lighter weight and smaller in size - and my purpose in having a fall-back body "just in case" rather than equipment I intend to use.

I'll mull it over over the weekend but, meanwhile, wanted to express my appreciation for the pointers.

Nathan

kentak Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2010Fri 11-Mar-11 02:28 PM
918 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 11-Mar-11 02:31 PM by kentak

US

Just keep in mind the D3100 lacks a body focus motor. Not an issue if you'll be using AF-S lenses, of course.

Have a great trip and good shooting.

Kent

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 11-Mar-11 03:03 PM
3148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

New D3100 bodies are in plentiful supply now and may qualify you for instant Nikon lens rebates.
There are probably some used ones around also.

The only reason I got rid of mine was that it was to small and too light to hold steady.
I suggest you get some "hands on" experience before buying.
Your local camera store, Best Buys or Target probably has one in stock.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Fri 11-Mar-11 03:13 PM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 3

Newburg, US

"and my purpose in having a fall-back body "just in case" rather than equipment I intend to use."

I bet there are camera stores in Africa. Maybe it would be worthwhile to see if there are any close to the locations you will be visiting so you don't have to invest in a camera you don't intend to use.

Visit my gallery.

jadiniz Registered since 25th Dec 2010Sat 12-Mar-11 01:01 PM
350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 6

Estoril, PT

I'd say the perfect back-up for a D7000 would be a used D90. Decent price, same size, familiar interface, after all it was the model replaced by the D7000. Lots of commonality, and a safe value.

http://egozarolho.blogspot.com
1. Good content, good aesthetics and good tecnique. On that order.
2. Light is more important than glass and pixels.
3. In the digital photography process, software is as important as gear.

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 12-Mar-11 01:06 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 6

Port Charlotte, US

You might also investigate renting a camera from one of the lens rental companies. I "Googled" Nikon rental and got a bunch of hits.

Not sure of the cost, but it's another option to explore. At the end of the trip, you simply send it back.

If you intend to take more trips like this, however, it may be better to invest in a backup camera, but one you would actually use from time to time when not traveling.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 12-Mar-11 02:00 PM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 8

Alberta, CA

>If you intend to take more trips like this, however, it may be
>better to invest in a backup camera, but one you would
>actually use from time to time when not traveling.

+1
Shooting two (or more) cameras is VERY handy from any vehicle-based or vehicle nearby photography or shooting from a fixed location like in theatre or Christmas concert.

I am a bad example, purchased my third camera in November and am actively contemplating a 4th for infrared. I swear I'm stopping at 4 though! But then again what about when that new Nikon Mirrorless comes out? OK OK 5 and thats it!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Sat 12-Mar-11 07:27 PM
#10. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 9

Netanya, IL

Many thanks to you all for the input, advice, pointers.

We are going on a photo safari with a South Africa based photographer to game reserves in SA, Botswana and Zimbabwe. No Nikon labs are within reach. I've looked into rental possibilities - prohibitively expensive!!! For a 3 - 3.5 week trip, it's cheaper to buy, believe it or not, a second body. Hence my original posting.

Right now, the D3100 is looking the most attractive. It is light enough and small enough that I might just be able to wean my wife away from her Canon P&S (a multi-year ambition of mine), on top of the peace of mind I'll have on this specific trip.

I can also see the advantages of having two bodies on other photo shoots locally.

So, repeated thanks for your invaluable assistance. How great it is to able to consult with non-commercial parties who know what they are talking about!

Nathan

dscar Registered since 20th Dec 2007Sat 12-Mar-11 07:53 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 10
Sat 12-Mar-11 08:07 PM by dscar

Round Rock, US

If cost is a major factor, you might look at a used D50 or D70s. You'd be able to autofocus AF-D lenses, and they're usually available for half of the price of a new D3100. You'll lose resolution and high-ISO performance and video, so it's just a matter of what is more important to you.

I'm about to pass my D50 on to my father, and it's quite small in size but very capable. Just something to consider.

-On a side-note, remember that battery technology is different for the D7000, as well as the D3100 if I recall, while the same batteries can be used for the D50, D70s, D80, D90, D200, D300, etc. so be prepared for that as well. Doubt that will matter much, since you'll be packing extra, but thought I'd bring it up.

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Sat 12-Mar-11 08:02 PM
#12. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 11

Netanya, IL

Thanks, but I only have AF-S lenses and the wife will never go with a loss of resolution.

Nathan

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 13-Mar-11 05:07 AM
3148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 12
Sun 13-Mar-11 05:17 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Actually, the perfect backup for your D7000 is a second D7000.

1. No learning/ unlearning curve.
2. You could share cards, batteries, lens, everything.
3. You can have two completely different setups and switch in a second.
a. Switching cameras is better than switching lens.
4. You could make professional quality, even 3D video with two duplicate camera setups.
5. You will still have one if something happens to the other (like sending it in for service).
a. I was going to say like an Elephant stepping on one, but you would probably be attached to it at the time and therefore unable to use the backup.

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Sun 13-Mar-11 05:18 AM
#14. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 13

Netanya, IL

Thanks for that. Don't think it hadn't occurred to me but there is no way I could justify the additional expense at this time. Having scoliosis, I also couldn't justify the additional weight and size. With a D3100 as back-up, your points 2 (except for battery) and 3-6 all apply.
Nathan

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 13-Mar-11 06:00 AM
#15. "RE: Second body"
In response to Reply # 14
Sun 13-Mar-11 06:01 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Well then buy a D3100 and enjoy your trip.
Although to small & too light for me, it is a great camera.
So much so, that I just recommended one to someone else for a 1st camera today.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6789 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.