Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6689
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Raw Files - Not reading on CS2" Previous topic | Next topic
TomFF Registered since 08th Mar 2011Tue 08-Mar-11 12:14 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Raw Files - Not reading on CS2"

GB

I've just got myself a D7000 but I cant seem to read the RAW files on my Photoshop CS2. What do I have to do to pick those up on my Mac? The camera doesnt even appear on my desk top - which it used to when I used my old D40. I'm still very much a novice so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Raw Files - Not reading on CS2
Leonard62 Gold Member
08th Mar 2011
TomFF
13th Mar 2011
walkerr Administrator
08th Mar 2011
TomFF
13th Mar 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
09th Mar 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
09th Mar 2011
TomFF
13th Mar 2011
Don Boys
13th Mar 2011

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Tue 08-Mar-11 01:46 PM
2694 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Raw Files - Not reading on CS2"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 08-Mar-11 01:52 PM by Leonard62

US

CS2 is a very old version of photoshop and will not support newer camera raw files. I ran into this problem when I got my D3X and was still using CS3.

If you have an Intel based Mac you can get CS5 which will support (probably) the D7000 in their latest raw converter. That will be an expensive upgrade if you have a G3 or G4 processor in your Mac as you would need a new computer as well.

A better and cheaper upgrade would be to get NX2 or the latest photoshop Elements.

edit: It looks like Elements needs an Intel processor as well.

Len

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TomFF Registered since 08th Mar 2011Sun 13-Mar-11 06:47 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Raw Files - Not reading on CS2"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thanks.

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Tue 08-Mar-11 02:08 PM
14163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Raw Files - Not reading on CS2"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 08-Mar-11 02:09 PM by walkerr

Colorado Springs, US

You can also use the free utility that Adobe offers to convert the images to a DNG format. You can then open them up in older versions of Photoshop like CS2. Personally, I'd upgrade to CS5 if your Mac is recent. Not only is it a substantial upgrade from CS2, especially when it comes to raw file handling, but CS2 is the oldest version that can be upgraded to CS5. If you had CS, you'd have to pay the full price of CS5. If you wait until CS6 comes out, you'll find yourself having to pay the full price of the product and not just an upgrade cost.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

TomFF Registered since 08th Mar 2011Sun 13-Mar-11 06:47 PM
#6. "RE: D7000 Raw Files - Not reading on CS2"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Thanks for the advice.

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Wed 09-Mar-11 11:52 AM
438 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Raw Files - Not reading on CS2"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

If you convert them to tiff files, CS2 should work with them.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 09-Mar-11 05:12 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Raw Files - Not reading on CS2"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

As Rick noted, you can use the free Adobe Converter and there is a beta for creating camera profiles.

You can also open the NEF with Nikon View NX 2, free from Nikon, and once you have configured it, you can use the menu option "File => Open with ..." to open a Tiff image of the processed NEF in CS2 or other editor of your choice. Note that the beside the WB in camera setting being used, all of the in camera settings will be applied to the NEF image before being transferred to CS2.

If you upgrade to CS5 make sure you also get the latest ACR plug-in.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

TomFF Registered since 08th Mar 2011Sun 13-Mar-11 06:48 PM
#7. "RE: D7000 Raw Files - Not reading on CS2"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

I'll give that a try. Many thanks

Don Boys Registered since 12th Aug 2007Sun 13-Mar-11 08:39 PM
102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Raw Files - Not reading on CS2"
In response to Reply # 7

Hope, US

If your using Snow Leopard and have the App store available Aperture is available for $79 and will do a great job. This assumes you have the latest operating system.

Don

Don Boys
Hope, MI

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6689 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.