Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6554
View in linear mode

Subject: "Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
This message is locked.
Jaxx Registered since 25th Feb 2011Sat 05-Mar-11 06:03 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
Sat 05-Mar-11 06:05 AM by Jaxx

US

I ask this because I hear many people complaining about this camera..

Now I'm new to using a SLR. I bought the 35mm f/1.8 aswell...and my pictures are Very sharp.. but then again I'm not an experienced Photog.. But all seems very sharp and crisp..

I've been reading several posts about people complaining about it being Soft and the Focus etc....

Is this camera that bad or is it just related to bad technique,Exposure settings,etc..Is this camera just more advanced over the others?

If so.. I'm guessing if it is and when I master it.. Then I feel as if I should be ready for anything Next...

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lets keep it simple
Len Shepherd Gold Member
05th Mar 2011
Reply message RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?
Gamecocks Silver Member
05th Mar 2011
PAStime Silver Member
05th Mar 2011
Wapusk Silver Member
03rd Apr 2011
whmitty1
26th Jun 2011
Leonard62 Gold Member
21st Jan 2012
jmiguez Silver Member
05th Mar 2011
amolsan
01st Apr 2011
JPJ Silver Member
01st Apr 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
01st Apr 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
01st Apr 2011
MstrBones Silver Member
01st Apr 2011
mborn1 Silver Member
02nd Apr 2011
beemerman2k Silver Member
26th Jun 2011
Pocobear
26th Jun 2011
ZenNonna1
29th Jun 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
19th Oct 2011
michalaase Gold Member
21st Oct 2011
Vlad_IT Silver Member
24th Oct 2011
PI_is_314
25th Oct 2011
friedbrains
29th Oct 2011
ggadget
20th Jan 2012
dm1dave Administrator
20th Jan 2012
ggadget
20th Jan 2012
km6xz Moderator
20th Jan 2012
tekneektom Gold Member
20th Jan 2012
Fabien65
20th Jan 2012
Kryoclasm
21st Jan 2012
profpb Gold Member
21st Jan 2012
amalalin Gold Member
21st Jan 2012
billD80 Silver Member
21st Jan 2012
amalalin Gold Member
21st Jan 2012
DavidBDiscover
22nd Jan 2012
dm1dave Administrator
22nd Jan 2012

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sat 05-Mar-11 09:23 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lets keep it simple"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>Is this camera that bad or is it just related to bad technique,Exposure settings,etc..
Lets keep it simple.
Any 12 MP Nikon model, used sensibly is capable of a good quality 20 inch wide print using any Nikon lens one stop down from wide open.
The D7000 at 16 MP is even better. As you seem to have no problems getting sharp results I guess you are using your D7000 sensibly
On the few "complaint" threads I have looked at I have not seen evidence the D7000 complained of was being used sensibly
It is probable well over 150,000 will have been sold by now, and no doubt there will have been the odd defective product - easily sorted with an exchange by the retailer.
There are also likely to be some deliberate "scare" threads, as there were with threads about dust inside and paint flaking of the 70-200 II, or the 24-70 leaking light if you set an exposure of many seconds with the lens cap on.
All that matters is you are one of the many satisfied D7000 getting good results.
I am quite pleased with my copy
This crop is from about 5% of a full face portrait with the D7000.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sat 05-Mar-11 10:27 AM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Welcome to the community. I agree with what Len said and, imo, the greatest majority of the people who "complained" didn't read the manual, used poor technique, perhaps had an issue with the lens, or were just uncertain with what they were experiencing. Certainly there were some faulty cameras as is the case with any product. Once a person took the appropriate steps to identify the problem area(s) it was resolved - no more complaints.
Check out the pictures in several of the forums (BIF for example) and you'll see there is absolutely nothing wrong with the camera. Other than a few bad copies the camera is like the results from a computer - junk in, junk out. Even the most expensive camera will show poor results if not used properly.
If your pictures are very sharp then why be concerned about what others say? Before I purchased the D7k I read about some of the issues and it caused me to look for a valid reason(s) of the problems. I could find no fault with the results of the people who had a GOOD BODY and KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. I am very satisfied with the results I have gotten but realize I still have room for improvement. As you stated, once you master it you will think "silly me, why did I think the camera was bad".

Regards,
John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Sat 05-Mar-11 11:37 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

> Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?

Yes, if it motivates you to get out and take more pictures, reflect upon your results, and master the camera's characteristics and technical features.

Cheers,
Peter

Wapusk Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Sep 2007Sun 03-Apr-11 10:40 PM
52 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 3

Brantford, CA

Boy! I wish that I said that. I think I will the very next opportunity I get. I'll even give you credit for the brilliance of your reply. Thanks for the smile!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

whmitty1 Registered since 12th Jun 2011Sun 26-Jun-11 05:35 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 26-Jun-11 05:37 PM by whmitty1

US

>> Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?
>
>...and master the camera's
>characteristics and technical features.
>
>Cheers,
>Peter

The above comment is the key even if the D7000 requires some autofocus calibration at Nikon, which mine did. I was able to demonstrate to the Nikon support staff that my new D7000 with 18-105mm Nikkor kit lens needed some adjustment to correct a rear focusing issue. This exact same error was replicated using a 18-200mm Nikkor lens. This was accomplished by performing the "45 degree angle tests" as described elsewhere on this forum. I used Tim Jackson's focus testing chart available at focustestchart.com. As the identical problem presented for both lenses the Nikon support staff recommended sending the *body only* into the Nikon service center in El Segundo, CA. When I got it back my follow-up tests revealed the autofocus to be spot on.

My point is that even when calibrated if I don't pay close attention to the limitations/capabilities of the lens and the PROPER use of the myriad capabilities the D7000 offers I can still get soft shots by the memory card load. When I pay attention to what I'm doing, the pictures come out fine (notwithstanding my artistic limitations). The bottom line is that the D7000 brings some new capabilities coupled with new requirements. Especially for the less experienced among us.

Given my limited experience at photography and digital imaging in particular this whole experience has broadened my knowledge about the art and science of photography in general.

Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009Sat 21-Jan-12 06:06 PM
2934 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#32. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 3

Hatboro, Pa, US

>> Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?
>
>Yes, if it motivates you to get out and take more pictures,
>reflect upon your results, and master the camera's
>characteristics and technical features.
>
>Cheers,
>Peter

I'm going to expand on what Peter said. Actually he said No. You can't just pick up a new camera and automatically become a better photographer. It Takes work. As Henri Cartier Bresson once said "Your first 10,000 photos are your worst". He's one of the greats. If you never heard of him goggle his name. He used a beat up Leica rangefinder camera and a 50mm lens for just about all his photos.

Len

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Sat 05-Mar-11 12:01 PM
468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

Welcome to Nikonians Jaxx. If you came from a point and shoot camera the D7000 will make you feel like a better photographer. Put it on Auto or Program (if you don't want the flash popping up) and it will certainly take better pictures than your P&S. It can also help you become a better photographer. However, it won't make you a better photographer. As other have said it is capable of taking pictures that can be enlarged bigger than 99% of us ever will.

I too consider myself to be relatively inexperienced. I have used SLRs to take pictures for many years. However, only recently have I started trying to become a photographer and learn the art of photography. A brief story might help you to understand what I think may be happening to some who are experiencing problems.

Within a hour or two drive from my home are several large wildlife refuges. A couple months after getting the camera, I discovered bird photography. I quickly discovered, my Nikon 18-200 VR lens, which I love, wasn't adequate to get really good pictures of birds a 100 yards away. So, I invested in a Sigma 50-500 OS "Bigma" lens.

The first time I went out 98% of the pictures looked horrible. Many were out of focus or almost in focus. I read advice, here at Nikonians, on BIF pictures and tried again.

This time rather than having the lens wide open I closed it to F8 set the speed to 1/1000 and shot away. Came home and found that my percentage of good shots had gone up about 25%. Still, some too dark or noisy and some were hampered by the glare off the water.

Looking at the metadata on the bad shots I realized that a couple things were happening. One, my thumb was accidentally moving the Command dial and running the shutter speed up. This was causing the Auto ISO to climb, resulting in some dark and noisy shots.

I also realized that the auto focus on the lens could be confused by small branches near the bird or poor contrast lighting.

The next time I went out, I made it a point to check every so often that the shutter speed hadn't changed and I also took care with the focusing, sometimes using DOF view and manual focusing to fine tune the focus. I came home with maybe 50% retention rate. I am going out this weekend again to see if I can get even better with the lens/camera combo.

The point of my story Jaxx is to show that you often need to learn the camera and lens to get really great photos. I am firmly in the camp of happy D7000 owners. I also love that 50-500mm sigma lens. Now if they could only make it about three lbs lighter....

Again, welcome. Hang around and read these forums. I promise you they WILL make you a better photographer.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

amolsan Registered since 14th Mar 2011Fri 01-Apr-11 09:38 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 4

IN

Very well put John. You inspire me.
Jaxx : I am in the same boat. As someone said here, D7000 is making me a better photographer.
I also use the 35mm1.8G a lot, along with the kit lens 18-105. Happy with both. D7K challenged me for few initial days, now I think; I am challenging the clever fellow.
You would start loving it, if not already.
Happy Clicking.

Amol

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Fri 01-Apr-11 12:36 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

It is unreasonable to expect everyone to love one model of camera. The d7000 like all other cameras will have it's fans and it's detractors. No big deal, if someone doesn't like it that just means they will buy a different camera and enjoy shooting with it. It is unfortunate that people choose to feed into internet hysteria from time to time about camera models, but it happens to all of them, usually close in time to when they are released.

The d7k is using some of Nikon's most recent technology. Some of it is an adjustment for people with prior experience. People used to Nikon's previous technology (notably the matrix meter) were surprised that the d7000 didn't meter exactly as their old camera did, leading some to believe the camera overexposed. In fact, the meter simply attempts to balance the exposure by preserving the details in shadow and highlights as much as possible.

In one way your lack of prior experience with DSLR is a benefit, you have no preconceived notion on how to use the d7000 from a previous DSLR allowing you to learn how to use the d7000 without prejudice.

Glad you are enjoying the d7000, as Peter said if it gets you out shooting it will make you a better photographer, practice, practice, practice.

Jason

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Fri 01-Apr-11 06:15 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 6

South Lake Tahoe, US

I can add my two cents here as well. I'm am a simi advanced amature who studies the hows and whys of my cameras. With the dk7 I have found it quite advanced in terms of use. If I posted complaints of the d7k every time I came across an issue that I felt was the camera and not me, I could have filled the board up with comments that made the camera look bad. We are the smart ones here. Take the time to read your manual and figure it out.

I put it in my head that the engineers of Nikon knew what they had developed, and I had to work out my issues with the camera until I found how the engineers had made it to work. Once I found the problem, I also found that it was me and not the camera. Cameras need to be operated properly to get proper results.

I feel many complaints are caused by frustration in not knowing the camera well enough and how all the functions work together. We may be to fast to judge this awesome camera.

Advanced user or beginner, getting to learn the camera well is going to take time. Hours and hours I spend working the the d7k. People write books just a few months after a new release, and I can tell you that after years of using a camera you can revisit a book and be able to add to it. Remember this, the d7k is not going to learn how you shoot photography, you need to learn how it was designed to shoot photography.

Yes there are bad apples in every bushel, and the d7k is no different. If you suspect a bad copy, send it back. Keep it simple. Just my opinion.

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Fri 01-Apr-11 07:36 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 6

Yorkshire, GB

>It is unreasonable to expect everyone to love one model of camera.
There is a lot of truth in this.
When my father died and left me some money for a trip to Africa I used part of the money for a D300s - for the video facility. My first video with it, shooting off the vehicle floor is at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/clean_mud/4492590473/in/set-72157623455633916
Does the video facility make me a better photographer?
From my perspective being very interested in wildlife my opinion is yes - because I could record bird songs with stills.
If your D7000 enables you to take more and better pictures (whether still or video) it has made you a better photographer.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

MstrBones Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2005Fri 01-Apr-11 07:52 PM
8238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

AW

>Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?

I hope not, because, in photography, it is not about the camera.

""

mborn1 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2008Sat 02-Apr-11 12:59 PM
201 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 9

Taunton, US

I just purchased the D7000 after recommendations from a friend that was with me on a photo shoot. I just used it for 10 days in Costa Rica and found it to be very sharp. But I had problems. However the problems were because I did not know how to use the camera completely. I needed to read and re-read the manual to learn the functions since they are some what different than the D300s, D3 etc that I have and use.
The Video in the D7000 is excellent and so easy to use. I love the auto focus. So Kudos to Nikon and for me back to learn how to use the camera more effectively

Myer
Photo Bee1
http://photobee1.blogspot.com/
http://photobee1.com

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Sun 26-Jun-11 08:59 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ellington, US

No! Absolutely not.

But, it will make your photography better!

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Pocobear Registered since 09th Apr 2011Sun 26-Jun-11 10:37 PM
86 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 13

Mechanicsville, US

Practices is what makes you a better photographer, a great camera only allows you to enjoy the results of your practice without holding you back. When I was learning the clarinet as a child on a cheap instrument, I hit a wall, and couldn't seem to get any better, I thought it was my lack of skills. My teacher one day said, no it wasn't my skills, it was my teacher and a cheap instrument. He sent me to a famous teacher and the first thing he said was, you need a better clarinet, it's holding you back. So, he found me a used top of the line clarinet and within months, I was playing things I could never have played on the old one. The D7000 won't hold you back. The more you practice your technique with it the better you will become.

You don't take a photograph, you make it. -
Ansel Adams

The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance. -
Ansel Adams

ZenNonna1 Registered since 14th Jun 2011Wed 29-Jun-11 08:18 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I am really new to photography and tend to buy a lot of "stuff". But I know it's like sewing I am an expert seamstress and can make anything on a basic machine that only goes backwards & forward. My daughter and I chuckle about people who pay hundreds of dollars for fancy machines with a lot of stitches. I am assuming photography is the same way. That is is mostly the photographer and their skills not the "bells & whistles" of the camera. But I do love gadgets.

A lifelong learner.

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Wed 19-Oct-11 08:56 PM
1063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Sorry for bringing up the old threads. I just wanted to express my take on the subject.

I bought my D7000 exactly 30 days ago. It’s my first dSLR after 8 years of not using any advanced camera system, though I had 20+ years of film SLR experience before my N90s + all gear got stolen.

IMHO, D7000 is the most capable camera under $2k. The more I use this camera the more I’m happy and proud to owe it. And yes, being an ambitious person, D7000 helped me already to step up in knowledge and hands-on experience. So I’m a better photographer now than I’ve been one month ago. And I’m sure it’s just a beginning.

Cheers,
Vlad

michalaase Gold Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2011Fri 21-Oct-11 07:46 AM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Karasjok, NO

I agree with most people here that it is very importent to master your tools properly.

I recommend buying a copy of Darrel Young's "Mastering The Nikon D7000" and/or Thom Hagens: "Complete guide to the Nikon D7000".
These excellent books will "talk you through" the camera - as well as give you excellent advices on camera use and recommended settings.

I bought my D7000 in April, and now my wife think I'm in love with it! (lol)

Vlad_IT Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2011Mon 24-Oct-11 04:22 AM
1063 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 17
Mon 24-Oct-11 12:29 PM by Vlad_IT

US

>I recommend buying a copy of Darrel Young's "Mastering
>The Nikon D7000" my Nikonians gallery].

I got one. Just started reading it. I would recommend it.

Author mentioned in the beginning that a lot of first time ds users buying this camera over D3100/D5100. (And this is who I'm, BTW). Most of the information i already know from reading User Manual (I read it 2 times from start to finish and some parts as much as 5-6 times) and from posts here, at Nikonians. As for me, the most valuable in this book was Digital Darell's personal preferences and Nikon general knowledge information that omitted from the User Manuals.

Very nice bonus to the book was 50% off my gold membership and conversion of remaining time on my Silver Membership to Gold one. Sweet! Thanks, Nikonians

Vlad

PI_is_314 Registered since 04th Sep 2007Tue 25-Oct-11 12:12 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Oshkosh, US

Well, I don't know what it will do for you, but here's what it has done for me.

I moved from a P&S straight to the D7000. Since getting my camera, honestly, I shoot mainly on auto (not all, but over 50%). However... I have taken 3 classes at our local technical college on photography, experimented a LOT with different settings even though I don't understand them all yet.

I am a better photographer, not because of the D7000 per se, but I am excited to be able try things with the D7000 that I never could with a P&S. It has opened up a vast world to me. It has inspired me, encouraged me, frustrated me, motivated me, and challenged me.

While the D7000 is overkill to my meager abilities, the P&S didn't challenge me. I hope to grow into the D7000 and am looking forward to the journey.

If that counts as making me a better photographer, then yes it has. But as so correctly stated by others, the equipment itself doesn't do that.

Mark

friedbrains Registered since 08th Oct 2011Sat 29-Oct-11 06:27 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 19

VANCOUVER, CA

i totally agree with what most people are saying that its not the equipment per se... i used to shoot an N55 (F55) film camera and from there went digital with different P&S from sony and canon. i would have bought a d40 or d70 way back then, but i decided not to, since i do not have the time to get into photography more seriously... just last year i decided to get back to photography and be serious about it and was about to purchase the d90, when i found out that d7000 was to be released, to cut the story short i went for the d7000 and now i am hooked with photography like never before!

ggadget Registered since 20th Jan 2012Fri 20-Jan-12 01:37 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 20-Jan-12 03:15 AM by ggadget

US

A lot of people wonder whether the Canon d7 vs. Nikon 7000 is better and it seems like people generally like the 7000. Did you end up purchasing this camera, and if so, did you like it?

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 20-Jan-12 02:36 AM
11298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 21

Lowden, US

Welcome to Nikonians Ryan!

It looks like the original poster is no longer a member. This forum has a wealth of information on the D7000 from hundreds of happy owners.

If you have any questions please ask. We are here to help.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

ggadget Registered since 20th Jan 2012Fri 20-Jan-12 02:40 PM
#23. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 22

US

Thanks Dave!

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Fri 20-Jan-12 03:30 PM
3295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 21

St Petersburg, RU

The 7D is probably the best enthusiast camera Canon has ever made and has a lot of fans. But in most criteria from image quality, noise, AF, ergonomics, price, metering etc, the D7000 is better. Several of my friends have 7Ds and 5dII and for some things are envious of the lack of noise and artifacts and banding that can ruin images. We shoot in low light situations, and the D7000 just gets more keepers consistently but better AF, clean noise free images.
But even this points are all nit-picking, with good light, any camera produced today can deliver excellent images, there are no bad cameras produced today.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

tekneektom Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Nov 2011Fri 20-Jan-12 03:44 PM
1771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Land O Lakes, US

The Nikon D7000 is a great camera and will give you the opportunity to become a better photographer. You need to understand the basics concepts of photography and then practice like crazy. You need to understand the instrument/camera and learn how to use it to your best advantage. I recommend purchasing the book "Mastering the Nikon D7000" and reading it thoroughly and keeping it in your bag as an active reference tool.

Tom

Fabien65 Registered since 19th Jan 2012Fri 20-Jan-12 05:07 PM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#26. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

FR

>I ask this because I hear many people complaining about this
>camera..
>
>Now I'm new to using a SLR. I bought the 35mm f/1.8
>aswell...and my pictures are Very sharp.. but then again I'm
>not an experienced Photog.. But all seems very sharp and
>crisp..
>
You seem to be very happy with your new camera, and you have got very sharp pictures..so all is O.K.

i'm a beginner like you, and the D7000 will help me to learn a lot about the way to shoot good pictures, with the help of other Nikonians of course!

regars

Kryoclasm Registered since 10th Jan 2012Sat 21-Jan-12 07:24 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

Ketchikan, US

> Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?

Short answer: Only if you learn to use it to its fullest capabilities.

Long Answer: A camera is just another tool you can use to paint with; like a brush, there are many types and qualities.

Will any camera make an image based on what you are seeing or would like to portray, sure.

Will any camera be flexible enough and give you all the options and control you desire over the image you are seeing or would like to portray, no.

For me, the D7k has everything I need and want at this time to allow me the flexibility and control I desire; only you can tell weather it will also the good for you.

Shawn

profpb Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2010Sat 21-Jan-12 01:52 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 27

Venice, US

Dr. Buick

Yes, I've had mine a year to the day up grading from my D70 (since converted to IR). I have tried a variety of lenses to find the best one for me. I've studied the D700 and contemplated the D800 specs. I am finally over a bad case of NAS. D7000 for a long time to come. Happy!

for everything except: AF-S 28-300mm Nikkor f/3.5-5.6 VR
for landscapes: AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
for close-up: AF-S 40mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor

amalalin Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2008Sat 21-Jan-12 03:07 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#29. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 0

providence, US

Welcome Jaxx! Just a simple suggestion that came from Mike Hagan, a wonderful Nikonian presenter He said GOAL! Get Out And Learn. I did that with the d90 for at leasr 3 years Then I wanted more of a challenge the d7k provides!! So, I Get Out And Learn every chance I can. Never hardly leave home without my camera. When I was home bound, as I recently was from back surgery, I practiced by shooting action shots of car races and various sports on tv!!
I took lots of shots of what ever was in my environment like appliances, book shelves, and even my feet!

What helps me the most, though, is going to the various forums that have assignments. Even though I don't always get to post my photo challenge, I find the assignments really make me produce something new. I learn settings from other photgraphers to try Someday I hope to even
be a winner of a Nikonian, contest!!

Mostly, just have fun. When photography entered my life in the 60's my whole world changed for the better

Linda

enjoy the journey

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 21-Jan-12 03:50 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#30. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 29

US

>Welcome Jaxx!

It appears the original poster, after 2 posts, is no longer a member...

Troll?

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

amalalin Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Sep 2008Sat 21-Jan-12 04:17 PM
97 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#31. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 30

providence, US

Bummer!

enjoy the journey

DavidBDiscover Registered since 19th Oct 2011Sun 22-Jan-12 05:07 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#33. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 31

Edina, US

I have read through the whole thread this morning and I would just like to point out that a piece of glass and a piece of paper can make you a photographer, but does not replace the eye and the artistry that make you a great photographer. The notion that you need to practice is spot on. To know what capabilities the equipment has and to know how to bring out those capabilities in your photography will be what make you a better photographer. And after all, who is it that judges whether you are a better photographer? Mostly only you and those that see your work.

We all have the opportunity to learn to enjoy our D7000's.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sun 22-Jan-12 05:21 PM
11298 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#34. "RE: Will the D7000 make me a better photographer?"
In response to Reply # 30

Lowden, US

"It appears the original poster, after 2 posts, is no longer a
member...

Troll?"

-----------------------------

This is a very old thread and the OP is long gone.

I think it is time to move on. The thread is now locked.

Thanks to all who participated.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6554 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.