Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6510
View in linear mode

Subject: "Stars in the night" Previous topic | Next topic
TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Fri 04-Mar-11 04:41 AM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Stars in the night"
Fri 04-Mar-11 05:19 AM by TakeTwo

South Lake Tahoe, US

Practicing my skills at night exposures. I have a intervalometer on order so I shot this image at ISO 1600 50mm f1.4, 15 sec exp. I'm working my way up to a few hours several hundred images stacked to get that star trail the way I want it. I found out that 15 seconds is about as long as you can go and get somewhat still stars. I used auto white balance, What would be better? It looks pretty warm to me. I'm pretty impressed with the sensors high ISO rating. Trees were at 45 feet and hyper focal distance stands at 289.6 so the trees are a bit blurred. It was pitch black out there. My eyes only saw a few hundred stars. C and C welcome, Don

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Stars in the night
jmiguez Silver Member
05th Mar 2011
Nervous Pete
05th Mar 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
05th Mar 2011
Nervous Pete
05th Mar 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
05th Mar 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
06th Mar 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
06th Mar 2011
JohnE Nikon Silver Member
06th Mar 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
06th Mar 2011

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Sat 05-Mar-11 12:55 AM
465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Stars in the night"
In response to Reply # 0

Lafayette, US

Don, I am afraid that I can't comment on the picture, other than agree that it looks too warm. I have never taken picture of stars. While my dad was a amateur astronomer and had a six inch reflector telescope in our backyard, we never took pictures.

It sounds like you are well on your way of learning to take pictures of stars.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

Nervous Pete Registered since 01st Mar 2011Sat 05-Mar-11 01:13 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Stars in the night"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 05-Mar-11 01:19 PM by Nervous Pete

Cardiff, GB

Ooh, I like those trees.

I wouldn't mind doing some astro-photography stuff when I get my D90. As for this, the sharpness semes to be good on the left but not so much on the right. Maybe just a tiny bit smaller aperture at f/3.5 ish? But then I don't know if that would push your ISO prohibitively high, or force too long a shutter speed for your needs. I'm foreign to night photography in the main.

For the post-processing, what package do you use? I greatly love Lightroom 3 which seems to be the business for me. You could up the blacks a bit, increase sharpness (or unsharp mask) by a couple of notches and bump up the clarity slider a little. There's a trial package of Lightroom 3 on the Adobe website, it's not that big a download and is fairly intuitive. Give it a whirl. As for the colour balance, I agree it could be changed. There's a tint and temperature slider you could fiddle with to make it more natural, but Lightroom's own AUTO setting is pretty good too, though I usually find myself making it a little warmer.

Once those are sorted out I think you'll have something fairly impressive on your hands. Other ideas are - how about converting to B&W? Those look like the sort of trees you'd get in a David Lynch film after all! Also, it might make the stars have more of an impact against the faint light polution you have going on there. Also, give star trails a go! Might be interesting, set for a longer exposure, low ISO, smaller aperture and see what happens.

EDIT: Had a play with it in lightroom. AUTO Colour Balance did the trick. Clarity +8 helped a bit, but more was too garish. Decreasing vibrancy by about -20 also helped. And sharpening, natch. Looking more closely, you're on the money when you say 15 seconds was the longest possible. There are slightly trailed. Tricky.

"Peter you've lost the news!!" - The Day Today

www.beexcellenttoeachother.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sat 05-Mar-11 02:08 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Stars in the night"
In response to Reply # 2

South Lake Tahoe, US

Thank you Pete for you detailed reply.

> the sharpness seems to be good on the
> left but not so much on the right. Maybe just a tiny bit.

Yes you are correct. I have not interval meter in hands yet. This is the fastest lens I have, hence depth of field. Not ideal for what my mission is.

>smaller aperture at f/3.5 ish? But then I don't know if that
>would push your ISO prohibitively high
Or maybe move the trees back to 280 ft. which would remove the bokeh and keep the lens at 1.4

>For the post-processing, what package do you use?

This is a jpg image right out of the camera with no post, so you and the group can help me with proper settings. I was told by a pro friend to try tungsten setting, or a manual setting between 3700 to 5000. So tonight Im going to connect my Nikon Camera control with laptop and set up camp on my deck and do all the trials and errors to see what looks right for me. Now that I'm exploring the science behind the setting of night photography, I find it like Detective work. Its exciting. To answer your question I use NX2 for post

>EDIT: Had a play with it in light room. AUTO Colour Balance did
>the trick. Clarity +8 helped a bit, but more was too garish.
>Decreasing vibrancy by about -20 also helped. And sharpening,
>natch. Looking more closely, you're on the money when you say
>15 seconds was the longest possible. There are slightly
>trailed. Tricky.

Could you please post it up for all of us to see? I would really like to see it.

My main goal is to shoot some star trails. Yet without a interval timer I would be left with the daunting task of hold the button for several hours. I'm not ready for that. The night time temps here at Lake Tahoe are 10 to 18 degrees on the average. I am a bit concerned about condensation on the equipment. I carry some hand warmers and was told using them on the lens might help. Seems like a lot of work in all.

Nervous Pete Registered since 01st Mar 2011Sat 05-Mar-11 02:44 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Stars in the night"
In response to Reply # 3

Cardiff, GB

Righto, matey. I'm not sure what white balance this one is on. I can't work out how to get Lightroom to tell me. If you trial it you'll find that Temp is -55 for this one and Tint is -25.

I find that one of the biggest boosts to my photography was to start doing post-processing for pretty much every camera, even if its just a wee tweak. The downside is that sometimes you can lose the odd great basic photo by over-tinkering. Thankfully Lightroom only affects the Metadata, that is to say it saves instructions to alter an imported picture, but doesn't ever touch the original file itself so every change is reversable.

Wow! -10 to -18? Don't blame you then. We had temperatures like that recently for the first time in over thirty years here in the UK, this winter, and it was a real eye-opener. Every moment of the day every Brit was walking around, rubbing their arms and complaining about the cold. "Isn't it cold?" "Wow, you notice how cold it is?" "Good lord, it's cold." "Did I mention just how cold it is right now? With my mouth? No? It's really cold." And so on.

I've been to Lake Tahoe! I spent three days there. It was beautiful. If you click my Flickr link at the bottom and then click the America set on my photostream, you'll see my Tahoe photos. I went during winter when there was a lot of snow around. Incredible place. Do you live local to there? If so - I'm jealous!

"Peter you've lost the news!!" - The Day Today

www.beexcellenttoeachother.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nervouspete/

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sat 05-Mar-11 03:35 PM
#5. "RE: Stars in the night"
In response to Reply # 4

South Lake Tahoe, US

Peter, Very nice. Right now I'm looking outside at the trees, and then looking at your image, and I can see the Jeffery Pines in your image are much more to the actual look of the tree. Maybe a bit to cool. There are many dead and dying pine needles in the tree and I think their warmth is what brought out the warmer colors in my image, but that's a guess. Does anyone know why the camera selected such a high white balance? I like your dark sky compared to my image. I'm going to set my iso tonight at 3700 and re-shoot the image, if the weather allows. I might suggest that you brush in some warmth to the trees to give back just a touch of warmth and you will be spot on. Thanks for your effort and time. And yes I am a full time resident of South Lake Tahoe California. Moved here in 1992 Cheer, Don

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Sun 06-Mar-11 02:40 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Stars in the night"
In response to Reply # 0

New HArtford, US

Did you have long exposure NR on?
I have found this makes a huge difference in exposures > 7 seconds at night.
I also usually have to cool off WB.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sun 06-Mar-11 04:45 PM
#7. "RE: Stars in the night"
In response to Reply # 6

South Lake Tahoe, US

>Did you have long exposure NR on?
>I have found this makes a huge difference in exposures > 7
>seconds at night.
>I also usually have to cool off WB.

Hi John, No I did not have NR on. I read somewhere that the NR feature takes another image in black and joins the two to find the noise resulting in twice the time to read to the card. I could use some clarification on that. I'm not experienced in the termanology. Is it better practice to use NR in long exposures? Don

JohnE Nikon Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jun 2010Sun 06-Mar-11 05:33 PM
916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Stars in the night"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 06-Mar-11 05:45 PM by JohnE Nikon

New HArtford, US

Don,
Yes. It takes twice as long. The camera will subtract all the digital noise from first image. After your 15 sec shot you will not be able to see image or take another for 15 seconds. The camera will not even turn off. The improvement is significant and it is well worth experimenting.
Below is an example of NR off and than on.
There is blurring of the trees due to long exposure. The one with NR on was 4 stops too overexposed, just before deleting I decided to bring it down in LR, and it is still a better image than the first/
This was taken with my D5000 I have not yet experimented with the D7000 but I would imagine I would get similar results.

JohnE Nikon
https://plus.google.com/photos/104310967428146619677/albums?hl=en

https://picasaweb.google.com/104310967428146619677

"Cameras and lenses are simply tools to place our unique vision on film. Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colors and your images will stir the soul." Jack Dykinga

Attachment #2, (jpg file)

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Sun 06-Mar-11 07:10 PM
#9. "RE: Stars in the night"
In response to Reply # 8

South Lake Tahoe, US

John, OK I can sure see your point. OK here's the next question. NR is great for single images. But what if I'm wanting to take 4 hours worth of images with a duration of 30 sec. per image with a 1 sec. pause in between each image. I would not be able to use NR in this situation due to the shutter being down for another 30 while it writes to the card? Something does not sound right. If I could not take another image for another 30 seconds my star trails would have stitched trails instead of a smooth arching radius. I'm going to stack all of my images to make one nice smooth picture. I'm I on the right track? My guess is, leave the NR off and take your images with the shortest duration to achieve your goal with DOF and exposure with your ISO being as fast as appropriate. I'm missing something here. Now if while having NR on I can take another image while the first image is writing to the card that's something else. Correct me if I'm wrong. I need to do some research. Don

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6510 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.