Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6503
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 and Android Cell Phone GPS" Previous topic | Next topic
evetsmd Registered since 11th Dec 2010Thu 03-Mar-11 04:32 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 and Android Cell Phone GPS"

Rock Hall, US

Has anyone married the D7K with any of the smartphones that have GPS/AGPS capability. I'm looking at the new AT&T HTC Inspire. It has a mini usb jack. With the right cable could u hook the phone to the 7000 and record the lat/lon info into the xif info. I don't need a full time GPS and thought that for those times that I might, this would be a great solution.
Has anyone seen a solution or APP that may work.

Thanks

Steve

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

evetsmd Registered since 11th Dec 2010Thu 03-Mar-11 04:58 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 and Android Cell Phone GPS"
In response to Reply # 0

Rock Hall, US

well I have found one possible solution... http://cgi.ebay.com/Bluetooth-Android-GPS-Adapter-Pro-Edition-Nikon-DSLRs-/160547087938

and a second possible solution http://www.geotagphotos.net/blog/2010/11/geotag-photos-pro-for-android-available-now/

has anyone tried this?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 03-Mar-11 05:25 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 and Android Cell Phone GPS"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 03-Mar-11 07:14 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

The Nikon GP-1 does not connect to the camera through the USB port, but uses the camera's accessory port.

Since the GPS-1 also connects to the D200/300 series with an optional cable change, I would expect the accessory port of the D7000 and GPS data encoding method and transmission requirements are the same as what is required by the D200/300. The GPS data is transferred to the camera once a minute.

The D200/300 uses the older RS-232 serial port with no handshaking at 4800 baud. The data stream must conform to version 2.01 or 3.01 of
the National Marine Electronics Association NMEA0183 data
format. The D200/300 GPS connection is through the 10 pin accessory port on the camera and this port supports an RS-232 serial data port and the remote release interface. There is a separate USB port on the D200/300 for the computer connection. This appears to be how the D7000 is also configured, except that the D7000 uses a different plug and socket format than the D200/300 does. Note that the RS-232 serial port is a very different type of communication port the the USB, Universal Serial Bus. The RS-232 port only supports one device at a time and is much slower than the USB port, which can support multiple devices at once.

The USB port on the Nikon GP-1 is for connection to a computer and when the device is connected to a computer, there is no data transferred to the camera.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

siemwell Registered since 18th Mar 2011Mon 21-Mar-11 02:35 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 and Android Cell Phone GPS"
In response to Reply # 2

HK

I donot believe these smart phones can work on the D7000 or D300. Since the baud rate are not the same. The camera is 4800 in baud rates while the smart phones are much more higher than that. So even the cable is right, the camera can still not get the data. And second, the cable are special, not just the RS232 or usb port to GPS can meet the needs. So what I recommend is to buy a direct gps device to work for it. Many gps devices can do that. GP-1, Solmeta, Easytagger, Dawntech. What I prefer is a Easytagger one, simple to use, powerful and cheap. And the second choice is a bluetooth solution, but also needs a main device and a receiver. Something complicated than the direct connection.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6503 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.