Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6454
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 screen is brighter than actual recording" Previous topic | Next topic
dbraman Registered since 02nd Mar 2011Wed 02-Mar-11 04:48 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 screen is brighter than actual recording"

US

When I shoot video, what the screen is showing me looks fine. But when I play it back it's about a stop underexposed. And its underexposed when I pull it into the edit. This can't be right...right?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 02-Mar-11 05:37 PM
4428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 screen is brighter than actual recording"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Go to the Setup Menu and change the LCD Brightness setting to -2 or -3.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 02-Mar-11 06:15 PM
3958 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 screen is brighter than actual recording"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Check your histogram. Never rely on a camera LCD - even an LCD as good as the one Nikon uses in the D7000 - to estimate exposure. Check the histogram. If the histogram is not intuitively understandable to you, start using a light meter to set or check your exposure.

High contrast lighting is difficult to shoot - still or video. Even the mighty Nikon matrix metering system will give unexpected results if it's trying to cope with dramatic extremes of contrast and/or brighness.

How about a link to some short examples?

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 05-Mar-11 05:45 PM
4184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 screen is brighter than actual recording"
In response to Reply # 2

Alberta, CA

Can you check histogram when shooting video?

Also, why does the LCD of the D7K darken sometimes during an in-prgress video shoot? Does it just do that after a certain time period? I am not figured this one out yet as it has happened to me only intermittently so I don't know if it is setting-related.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sun 06-Mar-11 02:43 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 screen is brighter than actual recording"
In response to Reply # 3

Yorkshire, GB

>Also, why does the LCD of the D7K darken sometimes during an
>in-progress video shoot?
If you are shooting in hand held mode (which can be used on a tripod) the camera adjusts exposure during recording if either the light level or subject change.
If you are in tripod mode exposure does not change if you change the aperture during recording - this can be an interesting effect in high contrast lighting.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6454 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.