Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6393
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode" Previous topic | Next topic
papafox Registered since 27th Feb 2011Tue 01-Mar-11 03:34 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode"

AU

I've recently bought a D7000 and importing the images into Lightroom is driving me crazy.

I have the SD cards set to Backup mode. During my normal shooting I shoot a number of images, triage the ones I may want and delete the ones I definitely don't want. At the end of the day, I upload to Lightroom.
The problem is that I have two copies of the photos I want plus all the photos I deleted.

OK, I'm guessing that this is related to having the SD cards in Backup mode. However, I'm surprised that deleting an image does not delete the image on both cards. I've tried reformatting the cards; I've tried Delete Selected vs locking the images I want and using Delete All. Everything leads to the same result in Lightroom.

This is the first camera I've used with two flash cards. Has anyone seen this problem before? Is it a Nikon problem or is there an issue with Lightroom?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode
agitater Gold Member
01st Mar 2011
Matt Payne
01st Mar 2011
B LaRue
01st Mar 2011
mcpianoca
01st Mar 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
01st Mar 2011
BillboTex
02nd Mar 2011
agitater Gold Member
02nd Mar 2011
Matt Payne
02nd Mar 2011
papafox
02nd Mar 2011
dbvisions Silver Member
07th Apr 2011
Captain Rich Silver Member
07th Apr 2011

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Tue 01-Mar-11 03:59 PM
3957 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

One of the reasons for having a backup, I think, is to ensure that the photo you delete in the field or at home today is the photo you can still review and save tomorrow. Lightroom isn't designed to query camera hardware to determine the number of card slots and sort out which one is a backup. The camera and Lightroom are working as designed.

I recommend using a card reader. It's faster - much faster - than any camera/computer connection, and there won't be any image duplication.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Matt Payne Registered since 01st Mar 2011Tue 01-Mar-11 04:11 PM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Do you have a suggestion on a good card reader for cards used in the D7000? I am currently forced to use the USB connection from the camera directly.

-----------------------------------------------------
Kind regards,
Matt Payne

My current gear: Nikon D7000, 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens

Webmaster http://www.100summits.com

B LaRue Registered since 04th Nov 2010Tue 01-Mar-11 08:09 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I bought the Promaster Digital card reader which works splendidly. It has 4 different slots for different card sizes.

Betty

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mcpianoca Registered since 05th Jan 2011Tue 01-Mar-11 08:39 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode"
In response to Reply # 2

Sherbrooke, CA

Why not just remove the backup card from the camera's body just before doing the lightroom synch?
Marcel

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Tue 01-Mar-11 09:28 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode"
In response to Reply # 2

Joanna, US

I get good results with the Quantaray digital 50-in-1 card reader; has 5 slots and about $22 +-.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Wed 02-Mar-11 11:29 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode"
In response to Reply # 2

Houston, US

Make sure the reader you purchase is SDXC rated, even though you may not be using SDXC cards now, you may decide to use one or two in the future?

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Wed 02-Mar-11 12:55 AM
3957 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

SanDisk and Lexar both make great SD/CF card readers which provide very fast transfer rates for SanDisk, Lexar, Transcend, Hoodman and Accumem cards.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

Matt Payne Registered since 01st Mar 2011Wed 02-Mar-11 02:19 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Excellent, thank you all!

-----------------------------------------------------
Kind regards,
Matt Payne

My current gear: Nikon D7000, 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens

Webmaster http://www.100summits.com

papafox Registered since 27th Feb 2011Wed 02-Mar-11 06:30 AM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode"
In response to Reply # 0

AU

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I had thought about backup SD as protecting against media failure, but clearly deleting the wrong image is a major concern as well.

Thanks the insight.

dbvisions Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2011Thu 07-Apr-11 08:56 PM
65 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode"
In response to Reply # 8

Ringgold, US

I am new this winter to Lightroom 3 along with getting my D7000. With all of the flexibility of two SD card slots and learning to setup and use LR3, it took me a few weeks to settle into a system that works for me. I started out shooting in RAW + Fine and using the second slot as backup. That gave me WAY TOO MANY copies of each image on my desktop hard drive when I downloaded from the camera using USB. I felt a bit overwhelmed and needed to do something about this.

So I tried other options and finally got to a system that gives me the archive of all my RAW images on my desktop. I now save RAW on card 1 and Fine JPG on card 2. Then I put the RAW card in my desktop reader and import into LR3 using the convert to DNG option. I reformat card 1 in the camera for re-use. The second card stays in the camera and the JPG's are left there unless I have an image I want to give to someone immediately after shooting. The use of my hard drive space is greatly reduced and I don't have to sort through so many identical images. I also still archive to my external hard drive.

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 07-Apr-11 09:23 PM
1179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: D7000: Deleting photos when SD cards in Backup mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Savannah, US

I just bought one of the little SanDisk MicroMate readers from Amazon for $14.95. It's a great unit, and is small enough to carry with you when traveling. It's only a little larger than the SD card itself, and has a built in USB plug with a cover. Fast and reliable.

Rich

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6393 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.