Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6350
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000 Matrix Over-Exposure?" Previous topic | Next topic
billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 28-Feb-11 06:35 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000 Matrix Over-Exposure?"
Mon 28-Feb-11 06:36 PM by billD80

US

Here's a quick grab shot from last week with pretty intense contrast. Converted directly from NEF to JPEG via View NX2, no PP. NO blown highlights, detail in mid-tones and shadows...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000 Matrix Over-Exposure?
rasworth
28th Feb 2011
billD80 Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
rasworth
28th Feb 2011
dm1dave Administrator
28th Feb 2011
dscar
01st Mar 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
05th Mar 2011
elec164 Silver Member
05th Mar 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
05th Mar 2011
elec164 Silver Member
05th Mar 2011

rasworth Basic MemberMon 28-Feb-11 07:24 PM
1191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000 Matrix Over-Exposure?"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 28-Feb-11 07:24 PM by rasworth

Austin, US

According to the exif data via ViewNX2 you had Active D-Lighting set to auto, which IMO is a good thing. In my experience a shot like this without ADL would probably have appeared over-exposed, and pp of the raw file would have been required for a visually pleasing image.

ADL will generally reduce the exposure on these types of images, perhaps sacrificing some ETTR but certainly protecting the highlights.

Richard Southworth

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 28-Feb-11 08:00 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000 Matrix Over-Exposure?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>ADL will generally reduce the exposure on these types of
>images, perhaps sacrificing some ETTR but certainly protecting
>the highlights.
>

The Histogram seems to show Exposure To The Right pretty well maintained.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Mon 28-Feb-11 10:48 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: D7000 Matrix Over-Exposure?"
In response to Reply # 2

Warsaw, US

Photo looks good.
I agree that without ADL you may have had some blown highlights. I found keeping ADL set to low with matrix metering works very well.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

rasworth Basic MemberMon 28-Feb-11 11:41 PM
1191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000 Matrix Over-Exposure?"
In response to Reply # 2

Austin, US

Hard to tell without working with the original raw image. And I did say perhaps. I believe the original poster processed the image with Nikon software, since the embedded profile was Nikon sRGB.

After reading this post I went outside with my D7000 and shot some at ADL off, ADL = high (my normal setting in bright contrasty conditions), and ADL = auto. I couldn't find any snow (Austin, Texas) but it was a bright sunny day and there was a large white car across the street to fill the foreground. As one would expect the imaages in increasing level of exposure were ADL = high, auto, and off. Even though the off image came in with some highlight clipping I was able to recover/reduce exposure and arrive at little or no blown highlights. One can only really tell IMO by rendering in ACR in ProPhoto.

Richard Southworth

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 28-Feb-11 11:32 PM
11299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000 Matrix Over-Exposure?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

This is a great example of how well Active D-Lighting helps capture a high contrast scene.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

dscar Registered since 20th Dec 2007Tue 01-Mar-11 08:19 PM
35 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: D7000 Matrix Over-Exposure?"
In response to Reply # 4

Round Rock, US

Interesting. I experience some overexposure last weekend on a trip when shooting camp events in highly wooded areas during the middle of the day, but never considered D-lighting as a possible solution. I'll have to try bumping ADL up next time.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 05-Mar-11 06:20 PM
4215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: D7000 Matrix Over-Exposure?"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

>Here's a quick grab shot from last week with pretty intense
>contrast. Converted directly from NEF to JPEG via View NX2,
>no PP. NO blown highlights, detail in mid-tones and
>shadows...
>
>
>

Great exposure!

Side-question, can one fix that key-stoning in post very easily? If so, then we don't need tilt-shift lenses for architecture?

BTW Bill, your various 8-16mm shots have pretty much convinced me to get the lens

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 05-Mar-11 07:29 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: D7000 Matrix Over-Exposure?"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 05-Mar-11 07:46 PM by elec164

US

>Side-question, can one fix that key-stoning in post very
>easily? If so, then we don't need tilt-shift lenses for
>architecture?
>
Yes you can, but it is always better to start off with the best image you can so a tilt shift would be the best choice, PP the second.

It didn't take long. In Photoshop I first increased canvas size. Then went to filter/distort/lens correction. I then used vertical correction to 100% which got it most of the way. Then corrected the rest with edit/transform/perspective. Cropped and sharpened. You could spend some time cloning in areas to maintain the aspect ratio I imagine.

Perhaps there is a better method then this that someone else could chime in with and provide.

Hope this helped.

Pete

Pete

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 05-Mar-11 07:54 PM
4215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: D7000 Matrix Over-Exposure?"
In response to Reply # 8

Alberta, CA

Pete, VERY interesting to say the least!

I likewise would be interested in other's tips too if they have any.

I'm guessing if one shot the composition a little looser you wouldn't have to increase canvas?

Anyhow since I am limited to Capture NX2 I would be interested too if anyone has a tip for that software also (although I'm guessing that might be a stretch for NX2!).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Sat 05-Mar-11 08:00 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: D7000 Matrix Over-Exposure?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

>I'm guessing if one shot the composition a little looser you
>wouldn't have to increase canvas?

The canvas size increase is to avoid losing part of the building when you stretch the perspective. Basically when you are done with the perspective correction the image becomes a trapezoid which then needs to be cropped. If you do not enlarge the canvas before the lens distortion correction you would loose the top of the building.

>Anyhow since I am limited to Capture NX2 I would be interested
>too if anyone has a tip for that software also (although I'm
>guessing that might be a stretch for NX2!).

I believe that may be true in that I think you need a pixel editor to make such corrections and CNX2 is only a development/adjustment tool with limited pixel editing abilities (if any).

Pete

Pete

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6350 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.