Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6342
View in linear mode

Subject: "Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affec..." Previous topic | Next topic
Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Mon 28-Feb-11 05:01 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affect Raw?"

US

The D7000 has so many different settings, but most of them only are only related to shooting JPG, I only shoot Raw.
Is there a list of which settings that have any affect on a Raw image? I think I might be fooling myself with some of these setting, but I'm just not sure.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings a...
billD80 Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
Mr Moose Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
billD80 Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
Mr Moose Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
briantilley Moderator
28th Feb 2011
Mr Moose Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
01st Mar 2011
Marlin4E
01st Mar 2011
briantilley Moderator
01st Mar 2011
Marlin4E
02nd Mar 2011
briantilley Moderator
02nd Mar 2011
Marlin4E
02nd Mar 2011

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 28-Feb-11 06:08 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affect Raw?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>The D7000 has so many different settings, but most of them
>only are only related to shooting JPG, I only shoot Raw.
>Is there a list of which settings that have any affect on a
>Raw image? I think I might be fooling myself with some of
>these setting, but I'm just not sure.

If you open your NEF files with View NX2 or Capture NX2, then your settings are applied to the image (though they can be removed/adjusted).

In other words, if you open and directly convert a NEF to a JPEG via View NX2 (free software), then the camera settings are "baked" into the JPEG.

Non-Nikon software can't do this as accurately...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Mon 28-Feb-11 06:23 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affect Raw?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for the reply.
I've always used Adobe Camera Raw to convert my NEF's and that isn't going to change.
I just get the feeling that most of these settings don't do a thing to Raw files.
It would be nice if there was a list of some kind that would show which settings do in fact, have a affect on Raw files.

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Mon 28-Feb-11 06:32 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affect Raw?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>
>Thanks for the reply.
>I've always used Adobe Camera Raw to convert my NEF's and that
>isn't going to change.
>I just get the feeling that most of these settings don't do a
>thing to Raw files.
>It would be nice if there was a list of some kind that would
>show which settings do in fact, have a affect on Raw files.

If you use Adobe Camera Raw, your feeling is largely correct.

If you use View NX2 to make your initial conversion, then ALL of the settings will have an effect -- thus no need to make a special list.

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Mon 28-Feb-11 07:33 PM
#5. "RE: Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affect Raw?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I did find one setting that supposedly does change a Raw file, Long Exposure Noise Reduction, Its only applies to exposures over 8 seconds long

Here's a snip.

For those that wonder about Long Exposure Noise Reduction (Shooting Menu > Long exp. NR), it does not blur the image, after the fact, like normal noise reduction. Instead, it is concerned with pixels that get warm and bright during a long exposure. It takes the first exposure as normal, then it closes the shutter and takes a second exposure of the exact same length (except that the new D7000 claims it can make the entire combined exposure at between 1.5 and 2 times a single exposure's length). After both exposures are complete the camera examines the first and second images (in a sense) and combines them. How? Most of the second exposure is totally black, of course, since the shutter is closed. The camera sees where there are any loud, bright pixels in the second exposure and subtracts them from the first exposure.
So, the first exposure really only gets reconfigured by the second exposures results. This does not damage the image nearly as much as regular noise reduction. However, this method of noise correction is applied to the RAW image in a permanent way. That's because it is part of the exposure itself, and becomes part of the RAW data being passed to the camera card. There is no way, that I know of, to remove the results.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 28-Feb-11 07:29 PM
28735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affect Raw?"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

If you're not using a Nikon RAW converter (ViewNX or CaptureNX), then only exposure and white balance will affect how the NEF looks.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Mon 28-Feb-11 09:17 PM
#6. "RE: Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affect Raw?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I found one more setting that WILL have a affect on a Raw file. I don't use Active D-Lighting as I thought it was the same as all the other JPG related settings. But now I find out its bad if your shooting Raw. So I'm adding it to my list.
If anyone finds anything else, please post.

Active D-Lighting is not something you want to have turned on when shooting RAW unless you are using Nikon software to process the NEF files.
If you have Active D-Lighting turned on in-camera, then your raw files in ACR or LR will be underexposed sometimes up to 2 stops.

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Tue 01-Mar-11 11:14 AM
470 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affect Raw?"
In response to Reply # 6

Lafayette, US

>I found one more setting that WILL have a affect on a Raw
>file. I don't use Active D-Lighting as I thought it was the
>same as all the other JPG related settings. But now I find out
>its bad if your shooting Raw. So I'm adding it to my list.
>If anyone finds anything else, please post.
>
>Active D-Lighting is not something you want to have turned on
>when shooting RAW unless you are using Nikon software to
>process the NEF files.
>If you have Active D-Lighting turned on in-camera, then your
>raw files in ACR or LR will be underexposed sometimes up to 2
>stops.

That is interesting! I have noticed my files always seemed to be underexposed and I had to use Auto setting in LR3 to get it back to normal.

I can remember turning Active-D on early on when I first got the camera.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

Marlin4E Registered since 14th Jan 2011Tue 01-Mar-11 11:05 AM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affect Raw?"
In response to Reply # 4

Hamilton, US

I have read several times in the D7000 forum including this thread that only Nikon software will apply the complete Raw settings, not the ACR used in Lightroom and Photoshop. Is this specific to all Nikon cameras or D7000 only? Is there a forum thread somewhere that explains this in detail or can someone provide more specific information to understand what is going on. As Mr. Moose stated, I have always used ACR to convert raw files from my D300 and apparently not knowing the implications. Why will it not work on the D7000 and is it a matter of an ACR update?

Mark4ENikon

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 01-Mar-11 02:45 PM
28735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affect Raw?"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, GB

The fact that non-Nikon software doesn't read and apply the camera settings applies to all Nikon DSLR's. That's just the way it is - ACR cannot be updated to read them.

The settings we are talking about here are things like Hue, Saturation, Contrast and Sharpness.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Marlin4E Registered since 14th Jan 2011Wed 02-Mar-11 03:52 PM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affect Raw?"
In response to Reply # 9

Hamilton, US

Brian, Thanks for the information.

I did not know this and appreciate having a clear understanding for future reference. If you use Lightroom / Photoshop, what is your general workflow with RAW files using Nikon's software first?

Mark4ENikon

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 02-Mar-11 04:13 PM
#11. "RE: Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affect Raw?"
In response to Reply # 10

Paignton, GB

My usual workflow doesn't use Lightroom or Photoshop. I'd suggest checking out one of our Digital Postprocessing Forums for much more on that topic.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Marlin4E Registered since 14th Jan 2011Wed 02-Mar-11 05:14 PM
#12. "RE: Camera settings, and shooting Raw, which settings affect Raw?"
In response to Reply # 11

Hamilton, US

Thanks...

Mark4ENikon

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6342 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.