Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #633
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which SD cards for D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Tom Gresham Registered since 08th Dec 2005Mon 04-Oct-10 02:05 AM
85 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which SD cards for D7000"

US

I ordered a D7000 right off the bat. It does not come with any SD cards (I believe).

For shooting video, which SD cards would be best? Size and speed?

Does brand matter?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which SD cards for D7000
OpticalSerenity
04th Oct 2010
lisaching
11th Oct 2010
km6xz Moderator
11th Oct 2010
ericbowles Moderator
11th Oct 2010
weymouth
16th Oct 2010
FutureLook Silver Member
17th Oct 2010
PI_is_314
17th Oct 2010
OpticalSerenity
17th Oct 2010
GP1152
15th Nov 2010
jmiguez Silver Member
18th Nov 2010

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Mon 04-Oct-10 05:10 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which SD cards for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I don't personally see differences in brand, however be real careful who you buy from on places like eBay. It's fairly common place to find cheapo Class 4 cards rebranded as expensive Sandisk Extreme cards.

On Newegg, I see a Patriot 64gb SDXC Class 10 card for $326. Two of these should be nice for video.

lisaching Registered since 16th Sep 2010Mon 11-Oct-10 01:45 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which SD cards for D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

NZ

Sandisk extreme is good.

km6xz Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Portraits and Urban Photography Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2009Mon 11-Oct-10 07:10 AM
3300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which SD cards for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

St Petersburg, RU

We do not know the write speed of the D7000 is yet so all is a guess. The D90 worked as well on Class 6 as Class 10 and brand did not make much difference other than cost. Speed might be more of an issue for the D7000 since the whole processing chain is faster.
If stills are primarily used, small or moderate card capacity is safer from losing irreplaceable images. The common practice of using big cards and loading lots of photos on them is a disaster waiting to happen. The cards fail, and they consume a little of their life span every time they are recorded to. Having 32 gig of a wedding fail would be a career impacting event, while losing one of a dozen 2 gig or half dozen 4 gig cards would be survivable. Good class 6 4gig cards are less than $10 now and being so small, having a dozen would hardly be noticed. For video, larger cards might be useful but with the same warning. Scenes ought to be kept on separate media before post production assembly.
Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 11-Oct-10 01:53 PM
8520 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which SD cards for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

If you are planning to shoot video, I would plan on at least 16 GB cards - and consider a 32 GB card. While Class 6 might work, I would only consider Class 10. They have been on the market for some time and there is little benefit of the Class 6 card other than price.

The big question is around the impact of SD write speed on extended camera high speed shooting. The camera produces 16.2 MB files and allows up to 6 fps. That implies processing and writing 74 MB per second to either the buffer or a memory card. With video, the largest frame size is around 2 MB, but it shoots 24 fps. That implies processing and writing 48 MB per second. Of course, both of these numbers are before compression.

The Sandisk website indicates the camera will use both Extreme and Ultra. They further recommend sizes up to 64GB in the Ultra and 32 GB in the Extreme.
http://pct1.sandisk.com/ProductList.aspx?DeviceID=16546

At this point we don't know the amount of compression in the video. The spec is H.264/MPEG-4 Advanced Video Coding. But the spec does indicate a maximum of 20 minutes of video - which is equivalent to a 32 gb card and 28 mb per second at the largest size frame, so that implies around 50% compression. If you are using a slower card (15 mb per sec), you probably will not be able to shoot for extended periods of time at the largest sized image quality.

Bottom line - my calculation is to record video at the maximum file size without filling the buffer, you need the 30 MB per second write speed of the Extreme card.

With other cards, you need to be careful about the specs. Many cards have fast read speeds but write speeds are slower. I tend to stick with Sandisk or Lexar, use large cards (16 GB), and will likely go with the Sandisk Extreme for my D7000 because of the faster write speed.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

weymouth Registered since 08th Oct 2010Sat 16-Oct-10 05:43 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Which SD cards for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I went with a SanDisk Extreme 8GB for card one and a SanDisk Class 6 32GB for card two ... the write on the Extreme is amazing. since mine is just a hobby, I can move the best shots to the larger card and just capture on card one ... doing both Fine and Raw.

Regards,

Don Weymouth

FutureLook Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Dec 2003Sun 17-Oct-10 12:03 AM
512 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Which SD cards for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Miami, US

I went ahead and purchased an 8g SanDisk Extremme III for $79 this afternoon at Best Buy. Since I had a 12% coupon which by the way the offer ends tomorrow, the final cost including tax was $75. All you have to do is show him your cellular and the give them the following code #1158603 and they will honor it. I bought my D7000 kit this afternoon and they applied the 12% discount.

Visit my website: http://www.futurelookphotography.com

PI_is_314 Registered since 04th Sep 2007Sun 17-Oct-10 02:13 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Which SD cards for D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Oshkosh, US

When I picked up my D7000 yesterday at Best Buy, I also picked up a class 10 SanDisk Extreme SDHC, 4 GB card. It will hold 271 photos on the best quality JPEG setting with 16 MP selected.

FYI - perhaps use that as a bit of a benchmark as to card size. Had I known that, ... I may have opted for an 8 GB card. Although, as many have pointed out, that's fewer photos to lose if the card is compromised somehow.

Mark

OpticalSerenity Registered since 23rd Oct 2006Sun 17-Oct-10 03:38 AM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Which SD cards for D7000"
In response to Reply # 7

Atlanta, US

Check out Transcend's 16gb Class 10 cards for roughly $32 from Amazon.

I got one, just to test out, and it's faster (using benchmarking software) than a Sandisk Extreme Class 10. And it's much less expensive.

GP1152 Registered since 07th Nov 2010Mon 15-Nov-10 05:32 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Which SD cards for D7000"
In response to Reply # 8

US

This past week I ordered a Transcend 16GB class 10 card and a Transcend 8GB Class 10 card from B&H. The 16GB was $25.99 and the 8GB was $17.13 (Free shipping). I'm going on vacation next week and since I don't really ever shoot raw, I plan to keep the 16GB in there all the time as a backup and will use the 8GB to download that days pictures to my ipad at the end of each day. This way I'll have 2 backups.

Gus M.

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Thu 18-Nov-10 07:53 PM
472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Which SD cards for D7000"
In response to Reply # 10

Lafayette, US

I was reading the comments on various class 10 16 gb cards on Newegg. So, I decided to try an unscientific experiment with the new Kingston 16 gb card I recently purchased for the D7K.

I set the camera to manual and the lens to manual. Set the burst to 6 fps. I also set the ISO to 3200, to get a high shutter speed, and went out in the back yard where I focused on the fence.

I set the burst to 6 but used single shots and pushed as fast as I could. The camera would fire about 5-6 shots in rapid succession then stop shooting, while writing to the SD. This happened over and over till I just about filled the cards. I used a 16gb shooting RAW in slot one and a 8 gb card set to shoot jpg in slot 2.

I then took the card out of the second slot and shot only RAW. I got about the same results. Five to six quick shots then you have to wait five to ten seconds to get another one or two shots in before refilling the buffer.

This is adequate for me since I rarely shoot that fast (unless it is my 3 yr old grandson). However, a sports photographer or BIF shooter might need a better (read faster) card? I noticed that many of the reviewers on Newegg criticized the off brand cards for not being as fast as older smaller cards from a major brand name.

I hope this helps someone.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #633 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.