Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6292
View in linear mode

Subject: "wireless remote shutter" Previous topic | Next topic
Voltan Registered since 27th Feb 2011Sun 27-Feb-11 03:46 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"wireless remote shutter"

MY

I am having problem to lock focus and exposure onto a pre-focused subject despite of pressing the AE-L/AF-L before swinging away to a distant background. Resulting to the subjects being out of focus. I resort to selecting the auto-focus to manual to prevent it being refocused as the remote activates the shutter. Is there a better and more elegant method, thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: wireless remote shutter
rbsandor Gold Member
27th Feb 2011
Voltan
28th Feb 2011
ReadnFool
27th Feb 2011
Voltan
28th Feb 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
01st Mar 2011
02nd Mar 2011
Voltan
02nd Mar 2011
02nd Mar 2011
ReadnFool
02nd Mar 2011
Voltan
03rd Mar 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
02nd Mar 2011
Voltan
03rd Mar 2011

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Sun 27-Feb-11 10:41 PM
1411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: wireless remote shutter"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 27-Feb-11 10:50 PM by rbsandor

Denver, US

Voltan: You can gain and lock focus as follows: using just your lens, once you have obtained focus via autofocus, simply move the focus slider to M. Doing so will lock the focus. Now you can recompose and shoot. For your camera, what is commonly called the AF-ON method will do what you want by removing the focus operation from the shutter button. Cameras from the D-90 and hlgher in terms of hardware (such as the D-7000) support this method. Either a dedicated AF-ON button or the AE-AL button (in your case) is programmed to gain focus. So, for a static subject, the AE-AL button is pushed to gain focus and released. Your focus in now locked. Recompose and shoot.

There are numerous threads on setting up and using the AF-ON method. It is also used in a different fashion for moving subjects. Hope this helps. Richard

Voltan Registered since 27th Feb 2011Mon 28-Feb-11 01:22 AM
18 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: wireless remote shutter"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 02-Mar-11 01:20 PM by briantilley

MY

Hi Richard,

That's what I have been doing, i.e. to move the focus slider to M thus disengaging the auto focus motor. It works fine in so far as the focus goes while leaving the auto-exposure to function. I am hoping for a more elegant electronic programing method to do the job.

ReadnFool Registered since 16th Jan 2011Sun 27-Feb-11 11:46 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: wireless remote shutter"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If I understand you correctly you are saying that you are pre-focusing your camera, pressing and releasing the AE/AF lock button, then trying to use your remote to take the picture.

By default the AE/AF lock button is set so that it must be held down continuously to function.

If you go to the Custom settings menu F5 you can set the AE/AF button to AF-on. In that case the camera only auto focuses when you press the AE/AF button. I tried it with my remote and it did not refocus. However the exposure was not locked when in this mode.

There is an AE lock mode also that lets you press the AE/AF button and lock exposure until the button is pressed again, but this will not prevent the re-focus.

If your exposure and focus need to be locked and the picture taken by remote then focus needs to be set to manual and the AE hold setting used, or the camera set to Manual mode (controlling exposure) and the AF-on option used.

I tried using the remote mirror up setting (shooting menu / remote control mode). Here the first push sets the focus and exposure then raises the mirror. I can't tell for sure, but it does not appear that the camera refocuses or changes exposure when the second press takes the picture. This would appear to be a relatively easy work around. The only limitation is after the first press the camera will automatically take the picture even if the button is not pressed a second time after a very short period (1-2 Min?) Depending on how long you can wait between the first push and the second this might work.

You also might try gaffers tape to old the AE/AF button pressed, I tried that and if I held the button in while using the remote it functioned as desired. You need something to push in the button because it has a protective collar. A small wad of paper or bit or eraser?

Hopefully this was the question you needed answered.

Steve
ReadnFool

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Voltan Registered since 27th Feb 2011Mon 28-Feb-11 01:34 AM
#4. "RE: wireless remote shutter"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 02-Mar-11 01:19 PM by briantilley

MY

>If I understand you correctly you are saying that you are
>pre-focusing your camera, pressing and releasing the AE/AF
>lock button, then trying to use your remote to take the
>picture.
>
>By default the AE/AF lock button is set so that it must be
>held down continuously to function.
>
>If you go to the Custom settings menu F5 you can set the AE/AF
>button to AF-on. In that case the camera only auto focuses
>when you press the AE/AF button. I tried it with my remote
>and it did not refocus. However the exposure was not locked
>when in this mode.
>
>There is an AE lock mode also that lets you press the AE/AF
>button and lock exposure until the button is pressed again,
>but this will not prevent the re-focus.
>

Hi Steve,

You understand my problem perfectly. You have answered to my questions without my having to experiment them for myself. In short we have not found the much hoped for elegant electronic programing method that gets the job done yet not effecting the standard functionality of the camera. Thank you, but do share with us if you find a way to resolve this issue.

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Tue 01-Mar-11 04:42 PM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: wireless remote shutter"
In response to Reply # 4

Newburg, US

I'm not home, so I can't try this yet, but can you set the AE/AF lock button to AF On, then assign the FN button (f3) to AE Lock (Hold)?

Visit my gallery.

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Wed 02-Mar-11 12:59 AM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: wireless remote shutter"
In response to Reply # 5

Newburg, US

...and now that I am home and have tried it, the answer is yes. Can be saved as a separate user setting, or set up a user menu for quick access to those choices.

Visit my gallery.

Voltan Registered since 27th Feb 2011Wed 02-Mar-11 12:30 PM
#7. "RE: wireless remote shutter"
In response to Reply # 6

MY

Hi Albert,
Mind sharing your custom user program. This is one area that I'm quite lost Thanks.

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Wed 02-Mar-11 03:36 PM
#8. "RE: wireless remote shutter"
In response to Reply # 7
Wed 02-Mar-11 03:48 PM by chris_platt

Newburg, US

I started by turning the mode dial to U1, so the settings could be saved and reused without altering the way I normally have the camera configured.

With mode set to U1, I navigated to the Custom Setting Menu and selected "f" for Controls.

Then I selected "f3 Assign Fn Button" and selected "AE lock (Hold)." (The Fn button is on the front of the camera to the left of the grip just under the focus assist light).

Next, still on the "f" menu, I selected "f5 Assign AE-L/AF-L button" and selected "AF-ON."

Finally I navigated out of the Custom Settings Menu and moved down to the Setup Menu. In that menu, I selected "Save user settings," selected "U1" then "Save Settings".

Done.

Now every time I rotate the Mode dial to U1, the camera is automatically set to use the AE-L/AF-L button to focus the camera (once focused with that button, it will only refocus if you press that button again), and the FN button to lock exposure (exposure stays locked until the FN button is pressed again or the meter turns off).

If you like you can also save a separate Remote control mode" to U1. I often want the remote control mode to operate with Mup. So by going to the shooting menu, I can set the Remote control mode to Mup. That way when I rotate the release mode dial to the ML-L3 setting, pressing the ML-L3 button once lifts the mirror, and the second time actuates the shutter. Saving this setting to U1 allows me to call it up along with the other settings. I doubt if I will leave U1 configured with all these settings. I just wanted to test the capabilities.

Visit my gallery.

ReadnFool Registered since 16th Jan 2011Wed 02-Mar-11 10:55 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: wireless remote shutter"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Great Idea ... I didn't think of using separate buttons.

I kind of assumed that one would override the other.

Have to keep this in mind for other settings.

Steve
ReadnFool

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Voltan Registered since 27th Feb 2011Thu 03-Mar-11 07:57 AM
#11. "RE: wireless remote shutter"
In response to Reply # 8

MY

Chris,

Thank you for the steps to program the U1 mode dial. I've now fine-tailored my U1 to suit my shooting needs dedicated for the wireless remote release.

Proud to be Nikonian.

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Wed 02-Mar-11 08:14 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: wireless remote shutter"
In response to Reply # 7

Joanna, US

Might add that once you have made your selections you can go to the "Recent Settings" in your menu (above the ? mark) and it will show what you have chosen. Just a thought. Good luck.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Voltan Registered since 27th Feb 2011Thu 03-Mar-11 08:04 AM
#12. "RE: wireless remote shutter"
In response to Reply # 9

MY

Hi John,

Good suggestion, I've started checking my settings.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6292 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.