Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6274
View in linear mode

Subject: "A couple D7000 questions..." Previous topic | Next topic
blu62vette Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2007Sat 26-Feb-11 03:02 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"A couple D7000 questions..."

US

As my D200 creeps on 145k actuations I am ready to buy the D7000. I recently had a customer buy one so I was able to play with it a little and I have a couple questions:

1. In liveview is there a way to use the wireless remote and mirror lockup? Or mirror lockup in any way?

2. Are the any color issues? Some of the items I shot seemed flat in color. I know there is a vivid mode, is there a morevivid mode like the D200? I only got to play for a little while so I am sure it was a lighting issue but thought I would ask the question anyways.

Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: A couple D7000 questions...
ReadnFool
27th Feb 2011
DAJolley Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
BillboTex
28th Feb 2011
DAJolley Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
BillboTex
28th Feb 2011
blu62vette Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
DAJolley Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
Mr Moose Silver Member
28th Feb 2011
DAJolley Silver Member
28th Feb 2011

ReadnFool Registered since 16th Jan 2011Sun 27-Feb-11 11:18 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: A couple D7000 questions..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

I grabbed my D7000 and the wireless remote.

While the lower mode dial was set to remote and I was in live view the remote worked fine.

There is also a setting under the Shooting Menu / Remote Control Mode that has the Mirror up option where the first push raises the mirror and the second takes the picture. That works in both viewfinder mode and live view mode.

When the lower mode dial was set to Mup the first press of the shutter raises the mirror and the second takes the picture. This worked in both viewfinder and live view mode.

So it looks like we have all the bases covered for mirror lockup. Works with or without remote in viewfinder or live view mode.

As for the color there is only one vivid mode under Shooting Menu / Set picture control, but you can adjust the saturation and hue of that control to make it even more vivid if you desire. Just press the right control to adjust the default settings. You can also import and export those custom settings using the Shooting Menu / Manage Picture Controls options. This should give you the flexibility to do what ever you want with the in camera processing.

Hope this helped answer your questions.

Steve
ReadnFool

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Mon 28-Feb-11 01:45 AM
1143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: A couple D7000 questions..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Using live view and MLU in conjunction with the ML-L3 wireless remote is my favorite feature of the D7000. I don't have to fiddle with the shooting mode dial to go back and forth between live view and MLU like I do with my D700.
Also, another nice touch they added is putting a IR receiver window on the back of the camera in addition to the one on the front. This makes using the ML-L3 very convenient.
Dave Jolley
http://www.pbase.com/hockingphotos

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Mon 28-Feb-11 03:06 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: A couple D7000 questions..."
In response to Reply # 2

Houston, US

Thanks Dave! I understand the ease of going to Live view (one switch on camera back), but for MLU, don't I have to go to the shooting mode dial, unlock it, and then turn to MLU?

MY SETUP
Nikon D7000 with zoomNIKKOR AF-S DX 10-24mm f3.5,
Tamron AF 18-270mm Macro f3.5 Di II VC LD
and Tamron AF 180mm f/3.5 Di SP A/M FEC LD (IF) 1:1 Macro
Nikon R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System,
ZacutoEVF Pro
Two SanDisk 32GB EXTREME PRO SDHC-UHS-1 (45MB/S)
viewNX2 captureNX2 NIKCompleteCollection Ultimate
Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 Annotate Pro
Vegas Movio Studio 10 Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 14

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Mon 28-Feb-11 12:15 PM
1143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: A couple D7000 questions..."
In response to Reply # 3

US

I have the wireless remote programed to operate MLU (shooting menu/remote control mode). I leave the shooting mode dial set to remote control mode. To activate live view I use the Lv selector on the back of the camera. To activate MLU, I use the remote. It doesn't require changing the shooting mode dial once set this way.
So far the only minor complaint I have with using the ML-L3 remote is that I can't "feel" it operate like I can my cable release. I've been shooting some large waterfalls lately and I can't tell what's happening because I can't hear the camera operate and I can't feel the remote button. It's further aggravated by the fact that I have gloves on.
Dave Jolley

Here's something I shot on Friday after 2 days of heavy rains:

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

BillboTex Registered since 23rd Nov 2010Mon 28-Feb-11 01:19 PM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: A couple D7000 questions..."
In response to Reply # 4

Houston, US

Thanks Dave, since I usually shoot mirror up only on my tripod (with ML-L3 nylon pouch attached with Velcro to the tripod), now I just need to remember to set the shooting mode dial when I use tripod, and reset it when I come off tripod.

Nice waterfall shot!

blu62vette Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2007Mon 28-Feb-11 02:10 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: A couple D7000 questions..."
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hey Dave-

I think I remembered my issue being in aperture priority mode, have you been able to use the remote in Liveview when not in programmed auto?

Thanks for your responses,

Todd.

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Mon 28-Feb-11 02:23 PM
#7. "RE: A couple D7000 questions..."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Here's a modification I made to my ML-L3 remote that makes it a little easier to carry and reduce the chance of dropping it, especially with gloves on. I drilled a tiny hole in one corner, ran a small cable tie through the hole to make a loop, and then attached a small clip. I keep it clipped to my camera strap for storage and when I'm out shooting, I clip it to the zipper on my jacket and it's always ready to use.
Dave Jolley

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Mon 28-Feb-11 03:27 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: A couple D7000 questions..."
In response to Reply # 7

US

You might want to check out this radio remote for the D7000. Its only $35.00 form B&H. I have one, and for the money I'm quite satisfied.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/654656-REG/Vivitar_VIV_RC_200_D90_VIV_RC_200_D90_Wireless_Remote_Shutter.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

DAJolley Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Dec 2007Mon 28-Feb-11 04:00 PM
#9. "RE: A couple D7000 questions..."
In response to Reply # 8

US

The problem with this type of remote is you can't use it with a L bracket and have the camera mounted in a vertical position; the cord coming out the side gets in the way. I do a lot of pano shooting and it's a problem. Otherwise I'd use one or just a traditional cord.
Dave

David Jolley
Pickerington, Ohio
Please visit my Website

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6274 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.