Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6243
View in linear mode

Subject: "Right eye - left eye" Previous topic | Next topic
HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Fri 25-Feb-11 05:15 PM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Right eye - left eye"

US

Please pardon should this be better posted in another forum - I didn't see an appropriate one.

I just had cataract suregery on my right eye and am amazed at the difference it made. I am now at 20/40 in an eye that has been 20/200 most of my life. My left eye is still 20/200 with slow growing cataract.

I'm experimenting with using the right eye through the viewfinder. It seems to be working OK.

Is eye selection a big deal? I've always used left eye. What eye do you use?

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Right eye - left eye
kuzzy Silver Member
25th Feb 2011
gkaiseril Gold Member
25th Feb 2011
agitater Gold Member
25th Feb 2011
HayMower Silver Member
25th Feb 2011
po6ept
26th Feb 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
28th Feb 2011
Chtimatin
26th Feb 2011
MEMcD Moderator
26th Feb 2011
keith5523
27th Feb 2011
ShrimpBoy Silver Member
02nd Mar 2011
tom6666
27th Feb 2011
JonK Moderator
27th Feb 2011
RockyIII Gold Member
20th Mar 2011
SheriB Silver Member
20th Mar 2011
B LaRue
21st Mar 2011
PROWLER69 Silver Member
21st Mar 2011

kuzzy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Fri 25-Feb-11 05:52 PM
1250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 0

Milford, US

Right eye mostly just because that's what happened when I put the camera to my face. I sometimes switch when shooting sports if I am trying to watch something out of the frame.

Marc
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.-Ansel Adams

http://500px.com/WhatISaw
http://kuzzy.smugmug.com

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 25-Feb-11 05:55 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

It can be. This phenomenon is not unknown in the shooting sports, where people can have a dominate eye for aiming a rifle. Unlike rifles which are ambidextrous for holding, camera controls are designed for right handed shooting.

You are not alone with this issue and your are in the good company of Joe McNally, who has blogged about shooting with the left eye.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Fri 25-Feb-11 06:59 PM
3975 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

The vast majority of photographers are right-eye shooters. The main reason is that viewfinder positions are engineered closer to the left side of the camera, which allows the head to be rotated slightly forward when framing, which in turn allows the eye muscles to be somewhat more relaxed during the process.

Left-eye shooting, on the other hand, normally requires that the head must be turned quite a bit to the right in order to place the left eye fully against the eye-cup of the viewfinder - a less comfortable position for most people. I'd guess that left-eye shooters tend to clean the rear LCD more often because of skin oil deposits from nose contact.

Strictly from a bio-mechanical standpoint, cameras are physically designed to more easily accommodate right-eye shooting.

Still, there's really no correct or incorrect eye to use for photography.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

HayMower Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2008Fri 25-Feb-11 07:11 PM
190 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Thanks. I've always been a left eye shooter. I'm left handed, so maybe that expplains it. It has just seemed more natural.

I'm getting used to using the right eye - I appreciate your comments, agitater - I hadn't thought about turning my head, but you are correct. The right eye may well turn out to be more comfortable.

Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

D7000
D40X
AF-S 10-24
AF-S 18-55 VR
AF-S 55-300 VR
AF-S 50 1.4G
AF-S 35 1.8G
SB400
Nikon closeup attachments 0, 1, 3T, 4T

po6ept Registered since 27th Nov 2010Sat 26-Feb-11 12:26 AM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 26-Feb-11 12:30 AM by po6ept

Peoria, US

If you want to know which eye is dominant, extend your arms in front of you and create a small circle using your thumbs and forefingers. With both eyes open, look at a spot at least ten feet away. Close one eye at a time and see which eye keeps the focus spot in your circle. That is your dominant eye and is most likely the one that you feel most comfortable using.

If you can get used to using your right eye, you won't leave nose prints on the LCD and it is easier to use the controls with the camera to your eye. I can't make the shift so I just deal with the nose prints.

Bob
Phoenix, AZ

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 28-Feb-11 12:10 AM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 5

Alberta, CA

>If you want to know which eye is dominant, extend your arms
>in front of you and create a small circle using your thumbs
>and forefingers. With both eyes open, look at a spot at least
>ten feet away. Close one eye at a time and see which eye
>keeps the focus spot in your circle. That is your dominant
>eye and is most likely the one that you feel most comfortable
>using.
>

I had Lasik surgery on my dominant eye only, about 10 years ago and it has worked quite well, it is the eye that sees at distance while my non-dominant right eye performs reading up close. So I was able to not wear eyeglasses and prolong the time when I need reading glasses. That day is coming though, so at that point I'll Lasik my right-eye also.

I often lead or assist with local bird-watching expeditions and if I set up the spotting scope for my dominant left-eye, I throw off the about 80% of the public who seem to be right-eye dominant.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Chtimatin Registered since 26th Jan 2011Sat 26-Feb-11 07:05 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 26-Feb-11 07:07 AM by Chtimatin

FR

>Is eye selection a big deal? I've always used left eye. What
>eye do you use?
>
>Hillbilly Harry - in the Missouri Ozarks.

hi Harry,

Like many people, i use my right eye, but don’t worry, your body will quickly adapt to this new situation. Human body is well built. I’m 46 years old and I’m practicing a martial art. I’m often surprise that my brain can learn many new moves in space. I think it’s the same for your eye, your brain will quickly learn how to use it as best as possible.

Best regards,

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 26-Feb-11 11:36 PM
25707 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Harry,

I am left eye dominant and have been shooting with my left eye for decades. I have been trying to use my right eye for well over a decade though when the pace gets fast and furious I find myself going back to my left eye. Old habits die hard!

On some bodies it is very easy to bump the multi-selector with your nose when shooting with the left eye.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

keith5523 Registered since 30th Aug 2007Sun 27-Feb-11 01:38 AM
261 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 0

US

So....do most leave BOTH eyes open when they take a shot, or close the non-dominant eye?

I'm right handed, but left eye dominant. And I shoot with both eyes open. Of course, I shoot mainly sports, so having both eyes open gives me more peripheral vision.....I can see who's about to run over me before they do.

Keith
North Carolina
www.greatbigshots.com

ShrimpBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2006Wed 02-Mar-11 04:56 AM
882 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 8

Brighton and Hove, GB

>So....do most leave BOTH eyes open when they take a shot, or
>close the non-dominant eye?

I seem to be left eyed and other eye closed. No conscious reasoning that I'm aware of, it's just how I've operated cameras. I have to assume that it says something about which is my dominant eye, and perhaps something about the lack of processing power in my brain that it doesn't want to deal with simultaneous imagery from the other eye!

Gary
"Yea, Sussex by the sea!" - Rudyard Kipling

tom6666 Registered since 12th Feb 2011Sun 27-Feb-11 01:50 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I'm left-handed and left eye dominant. We lefties have always had to adapt to a right-handed world. I shoot rifle right-handed and since I'm left eye dominant I have to close my left eye. I shoot pistol left-handed and can shoot with both eyes open. Since cameras are pretty much right-handed instruments, I of course hold the camera right-handed but view with my dominant (left) eye. I can't see how it makes any difference as far as ergonomics is concerned. Conclusion: use whichever eye feels more comfortable (and works best for you).

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 27-Feb-11 05:30 PM
4471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I wear bifocal contacts (RGP). With them I'm close to 20/20 and without I'm blind. And I'm right-handed and right-eyed.

A few years ago I was doing a theatrical shoot and had to pop my right contact. Tried using the left eye but after 30 seconds went back to the right and trusted AF.

I would remind you lefties who struggle in the righty world that Joe McNally uses a wonderful camera-holding technique for left-eyed people. Maybe after my (future) cataract surgery I'll learn to use it!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Sun 20-Mar-11 02:09 PM
3019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

I'm right handed and left eyed. There are some advantages to using the right eye with a camera viewfinder, such as being able to keep the left eye open to help with composition and not smudging the LCD monitor with your nose, but I have never retrained myself to use the right eye. I just do what feels natural and continue using my left eye.

Rocky

SheriB Silver Member Awarded for sharing her exceptional images and details of rural farm life. Nikonian since 11th Sep 2010Sun 20-Mar-11 04:20 PM
1619 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 0

US

also left eye/right hand..never thought about it until I saw it posted here..My right eye is a lazy eye, had it operated on as a 3 yr old.But obviously still lazy.Sometimes it even makes things appear a different color if I use it

Sheri Becker

B LaRue Registered since 04th Nov 2010Mon 21-Mar-11 05:27 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 14

US

I'm left handed, but right eye dominant. I guess I'm lucky that way. I always had to play my guitar upside down with the pick guard up and re-strung backwards. It never sounded quite right because the little string was in the big groove, and rattled a bit. I'm glad I don't have to mess with conforming my left eye to the camera.

Betty

PROWLER69 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 21-Mar-11 09:00 PM
237 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Right eye - left eye"
In response to Reply # 15

Wading River, US

I am right handed and left eyed dominant. That said, I am also heavily involved in the shooting sports and wear a very small piece of round tape ( half the size of a dime) on my left lense of my shooting glasses to switch my dominance to my right eye and then can keep both eyes open. Never tried the patch out on my regular glasses when taking photos but this thread got me thinking. I will have to try this out.
Eddie

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank account".
Woody Allen

http://edmund-365imagesin2009.blogspot.com/
http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/gallery/view_img.php?id=27273

http://www.pbase.com/tomcat68/root

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6243 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.