Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6212
View in linear mode

Subject: "d7000 or d90" Previous topic | Next topic
jeff fahey Registered since 14th Feb 2011Thu 24-Feb-11 08:08 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"d7000 or d90"

GB

hi there im new to nikonians and im looking for some sound advice .im upgrading from a fuji bridge camera. i have decided its nikon for me but which one d7000 or d90.i thought this would be a better forum to ask in as im sure a lot of people here have expirence of both cameras.also what lens to start with.i have three in mind.
nikon 16-85 f3.5.5.6,tamron 17-50 f2.8 and sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4.i like to do street portraits at local events and the occasional landscape.
any help would be great
jeff

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: d7000 or d90
Bootneck1 Silver Member
24th Feb 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
24th Feb 2011
mholka
25th Feb 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
25th Feb 2011
dimitrios66 Silver Member
25th Feb 2011
jeff fahey
26th Feb 2011
ronaldbegg Silver Member
26th Feb 2011
Reply message BLOWN THE BUDGET
jeff fahey
27th Feb 2011
     Reply message RE: BLOWN THE BUDGET
greenwing Gold Member
27th Feb 2011
jeff fahey
27th Feb 2011
Gamecocks Silver Member
27th Feb 2011

Bootneck1 Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Thu 24-Feb-11 08:51 PM
62 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: d7000 or d90"
In response to Reply # 0

Callington, Cornwall, GB

Hi Jeff,
The answer to which camera is basically "which do you want and what is your budget?

Both the D90 and the D7000 are excellent cameras. The D7000 is a later model with more advanced low light capability and higher resolution. Despite this, it would be almost impossible to differentiate between the same shot at f8 taken in normal daylight on the two cameras, and the D7000 costs almost twice the price, new, of the D90 in the UK. Either would be a good choice.

Personally, coming from a bridge camera, I would go with a D90 plus the very well regarded 16-85 DX lens and the excellent 70-300 to follow as soon as I could afford it. This would give me a well balanced DX "kit" which would allow me to move forward with confidence in my learning curve.

Do not be sucked into the "f2.8 with everything" scene. An f2.8 can be fabulous, but I would establish my personal "style" and interest before investing f2.8 money. Lenses hold their value well, and any purchased today would be tradeable for good value in the future.

David
Cornwall, UK

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 24-Feb-11 09:10 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: d7000 or d90"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Either camera will be a great choice. I chose the D7000 and love it.

The D7000 has the edge in several areas such as sensor resolution, low light capability, faster continuous frame rate, dual SDHC cards and other features. The thought is that the D7000 is the replacement for the D90, but that's not verified by Nikon. There are a ton of comparisons between the D90 and D7000 on the web.

Re- lenses. Be prepared. Everyone loves their lenses and will defend them to the death. Nikon appears to have more consistency in build quality than some of the 3rd party lens manufacturers, but boy does Nikon charge for it.

All this means is if you buy a Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc. lens, buy it from a reputable source with a good return, exchange policy just in case. If you choose a non-Nikon lens, test it to make sure it delivers what was promised. If so, you've saved a bunch of money. Not to say they are bad products, just the chance of getting one with a defect is a little higher. You can also rent lenses.

Nikon has a lens simulator for their lenses. The D7000 is a DX camera and not a full-frame sensor FX camera, in case you were wondering. Google Nikon lens simulator for the URL.

If you buy Nikon - again, buy from a reputable source and make sure it is covered by a US Nikon warranty.

Here a good article by a lens rental company. It should give you some practical information.

http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2010.03.06/this-lens-is-soft-and-other-facts

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

mholka Registered since 04th Jan 2011Fri 25-Feb-11 03:36 PM
410 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: d7000 or d90"
In response to Reply # 2

Brownstown Twp, US

I own a D90 and it has been a great camera!

The D7000 is a bit newer and more technically advanced. My preference would be to get the newer technology and not look back.

The D90 has been out a while. Even if I love my D90 I would say go the D7000.

I own a D80, D90 and D300s and I am still considering a D7000 for high ISO shooting like indoor sports.

Happy Shooting!

Shoot, shoot and shoot some more!

--Martin
www.ExclusivePhotoWorks.com
Nikon Body's
D800e, D300s, D7000, D90, D80, F100

Lenses:
18 - 200 F3.5-5.6 VRII, 70-200 F2.8 VR II,
18 - 105 F3.5-5.6 VR, 18 - 135 F3.5-5.6,
35 - 70 F2.8, 50 F1.4, 70 - 300 F4-4.5,
Sigma 150-500 F5-6.3

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Fri 25-Feb-11 09:34 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: d7000 or d90"
In response to Reply # 0

Joanna, US

Imo, the D7k will give you much more resolution, ISO, twin SD slots, etc. There isn't that much difference in the price. Buying a D90, while it is a very good camera, you are buying old. Whereas, buying the D7k you will be buying the newest. It has always been my experience to pay a little more and have extra features that you can advance to. Since you are upgrading from a bridge camera you will have some learning to do but that's part of the fun. There are several lens reviewed (Nikkor and 3rd party) in Thom Hogan's Nikon Field Guide. Good luck with your choice.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

dimitrios66 Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Dec 2007Fri 25-Feb-11 10:31 PM
77 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: d7000 or d90"
In response to Reply # 4

Dunedin, US

I was in the same dihlema until today. Went and picked up a D7000. You only live once!

jeff fahey Registered since 14th Feb 2011Sat 26-Feb-11 06:50 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: d7000 or d90"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

i am slightly envious i almost bough a d90 of evil bay today a realy good price but when i clicked buy it now someone had bought it while i was thinking about it. it must be a sign. i think i will have to blow budget just not sure what lens to get.

ronaldbegg Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2010Sat 26-Feb-11 11:50 PM
104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: d7000 or d90"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 26-Feb-11 11:51 PM by ronaldbegg

Ocean Grove, AU

>hi there im new to nikonians and im looking for some sound
>advice .im upgrading from a fuji bridge camera. i have decided
>its nikon for me but which one d7000 or d90.
>jeff

Hullo from Australia, I also had a Fuji (a 6200 Zoom) and found it just great......I did think focussing was an issue though.

I then went for a Nikon D80 and a D200. Both were excellent.

Decided to sell both on eBay, did pretty well.

Recently bought a Nikon D7000, AND JUST LOVE IT!!

Never had a focus issue, and as I have the Nikon 18/200 VR, it's a great combination.

Have added an 150-500 OS Sigma, it's a giant, but just sensational. Not cheap though.

Enough of my ramblings.....the D90 is on runout at present. Still a great buy!

In summary I would go for the D7000, awesome stuff!

jeff fahey Registered since 14th Feb 2011Sun 27-Feb-11 05:30 PM
#8. "BLOWN THE BUDGET"
In response to Reply # 7

GB

well i have blown the budget today
nikon d7000
tamron 18-50 f2.8 xr vi dc 2
4gb sdhc extreme card
uv filter
and three year cover on body
total £1325
i must be mad but my wife went shopping with me she got some jewellery and a handbag not as expensive but she's happy.

greenwing Gold Member Nikonian since 18th May 2006Sun 27-Feb-11 06:22 PM
1299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: BLOWN THE BUDGET"
In response to Reply # 8

Yorkshire, GB

Jeff, you might want to reconsider - or perhaps renegotiate - the 3-year warranty, as Nikon UK will give you a 2nd year warranty on the camera body when you register it with them online. That makes these optional policies look quite poor value, IMO.

Hope you enjoy your D7000!

Chris

jeff fahey Registered since 14th Feb 2011Sun 27-Feb-11 06:36 PM
#11. "RE: BLOWN THE BUDGET"
In response to Reply # 9

GB

forgot to say warranty is for damage cover thought it might be a good idea

Gamecocks Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jul 2010Sun 27-Feb-11 06:23 PM
982 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: BLOWN THE BUDGET"
In response to Reply # 8

Joanna, US

Well done! Very smart move taking the wife. You will really enjoy your investments.

John

Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others. <><

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6212 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.