Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6206
View in linear mode

Subject: "Exposer braketing more than 3 shots on the D7K" Previous topic | Next topic
Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Thu 24-Feb-11 05:06 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Exposer braketing more than 3 shots on the D7K"

US

I've been experimenting with the interval timer and save to the U1 setting.

I found following method searching the net.

You can do a little bracketing trickery using the interval timer but it's definatley a hack. I can't say I'd use it often, but kind of fun playing with it.
Here's an example:
1. Go to E5 and set it to AE only.
2. Set E6 for the order you want.
3. Go to B2 and set to 1/2 step.
4. Press the BKT button and set it to 3 frames and 2 EV.
5. Press the Exposure Compensation button and set to 0 EV
6. Under Shooting Menu go to Interval Timer
Choose NOW click right
Interval set to 5sec click right
Number of shots choose 002 X 3 = 6 then click right
Choose ON and click OK

The timer will start and fire the first 3 shots then pause for the remainder of the first interval. During the pause press the Exposure Compensation button and turn the rear dial two clicks right. The camera will shoot the next 3 shots when the interval expires. This example would give you 6 bracketed shots at -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, and +3. You can play with the settings to get different combinations. Kind of a stupid way I know but just playing.

I saved the following settings to U1.
OK, I set the time interval to 15 sec as this will be used for night shots with longer shutter speeds.
The above works, but changing the exposure compensation during the pause doesn't do anything, all 6 frames look exactly the same. I even went +5 with exposure compensation, still no change.
What am I doing wrong? Could it be that saving this to U1 is the problem?

BTW, I also changed setting D-11 to 1sec delay MLU

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Mr Moose Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Jan 2011Fri 25-Feb-11 07:44 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Exposer braketing more than 3 shots on the D7K"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 25-Feb-11 07:44 PM by Mr Moose

US

Here's what I've found. Exposure compensation doesn't work in manual or shutter mode. I've had it work in program and aperture priority mode, but HDR for night shots, I prefer manual mode.
Using the U1 and U2 settings along with the self timer, 3 shot bracketing and setting D-11 MLU 1 sec.
I need more that 3 exposures for HDR night shots.
This is going to be used for stitching along with HDR for up to 150 shots, so you can see why I want to automate the HDR part.

KaWySiCkHuNdReD Registered since 31st Oct 2010Sat 26-Feb-11 12:19 AM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Exposer braketing more than 3 shots on the D7K"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I've bracketed for 3 exposures set at 1 EV set in continuous mode, and started exposure compensation at -3 then 0 , then +3. if you want 9 shots for HDR. - just my 2 cents

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6206 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.