Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6151
View in linear mode

Subject: "Curious effect from a D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
meadowlark Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 22-Feb-11 06:38 PM
63 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Curious effect from a D7000"

Springfield, US

If you have the popup flash open and you press the preview button, the light from the flash comes on and there is a buzzing noise. The light from the flash goes off when you release the preview button. This effect happens on our 2nd D-7000 also. I called Nikon, the technician got a D-7000 and it happened to him also.

His comment was, that is interesting. He has no idea.
He will do some research and get back to me.

Anybody have any ideas? Why would the flash come on when you press the preview button? I suspect the noise is from the flash because it is staying on longer then it is supposed to and might be the electronics.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 22-Feb-11 07:37 PM
28742 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Curious effect from a D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

What you are seeing is a Modeling Flash. This feature is designed to pulse the built-in flash while the Depth-of-Field Preview button is pressed, so you can see how light and shadow falls on your subject.

Check page 228 in the D7000 manual for details.

I'm surprised the Nikon tech didn't know what this was

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

beemerman2k Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Mar 2006Wed 23-Feb-11 03:34 PM
340 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Curious effect from a D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Ellington, US

I was shooting at a memorial to a recently deceased friend of mine last weekend when this very thing happened to my camera. I didn't know what I might have done to cause it, but I feared that something was awry with my unit. Fortunately, nothing else unexpected happened and I continued taking pictures.

Beemerman2k
2000 BMW R1100RT Motorcycle
Nikon D7100
Nikon D70s w/ SB600
Nikon N70 w/ SB28

Visit
My photo gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6151 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.