Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6145
View in linear mode

Subject: "Maximum number of shots display glitch?" Previous topic | Next topic
WJMcIntosh Registered since 22nd Jan 2011Tue 22-Feb-11 05:27 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Maximum number of shots display glitch?"
Tue 22-Feb-11 05:30 PM by WJMcIntosh

US

When I first took my Nikon D7000 out of the box and popped my 32 gig card in for the first time, I was VERY disappointed to find that there were only 899 shots available when shooting in RAW. I knew the file size of each shot would be larger, but this was a pretty huge drop off from the capacity of my D90.

So...this past weekend I was shooting like a maniac up in Yosemite, and I knew I was going to fill up the card, but I stopped looking after awhile as I was pretty distracted shooting in the new snow, etc.

When my card finally DID fill up, I had roughly 1500 RAW file shots on it.

To add to the confusion, when I put larger capacity cards in the D90, it would simply state "2k" or "1K" if I had more than a thousand shots left. With the D7000, it looked like I had only taken 500 shots. When I viewed the shots in reverse, it dropped to 999 shots after I got to one, and then continued down to the next 1 for a total of 1500.

What the freak? Sorry if this topic came up earlier, but if it did, I completely missed it. Anyone else dealing with false capacity numbers? Is this fixable if I upgrade the software? Anyone else have a different number of available shots for RAW files on a 32 gig card on the D7000?

My Nikonians gallery

My Flickr page

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 22-Feb-11 05:54 PM
1969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Maximum number of shots display glitch?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 22-Feb-11 05:59 PM by elec164

US

There was a thread a few weeks ago that dealt with the “number of shots estimate” that you may wish to check out.
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=5366&mesg_id=5366&page=3

The gist of that thread is that the shot remaining estimate is based on a worst case scenario of the largest possible file size with minimal compression. You will most likely get way more images on the card then the display estimate is stating.

As to the other issue I believe there is a maximum amount of images that can fit in a folder. But I am not sure of that number (either 999 or 9999). After that amount of images the camera will create a second folder restarting with 0001 I believe. Hopefully someone with more accurate information can correct the number of images in a folder allowed.

Edited to add:
I just checked the manual and the maximum number of images to a folder is 999 (or an image numbered 9999, page 203). So that seems to explain your second issue.

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

aolander Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Sep 2006Tue 22-Feb-11 05:54 PM
3177 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Maximum number of shots display glitch?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevis, US

There have been many posts about this concerning most cameras. The number of shots available is only an estimate, and it usually is a very conservative estimate. Also, the D7000 has more megapixels than the D90; bigger files = fewer shots on a card.

"only 899 shots available when shooting in RAW"

You apparently never shot film!

Alan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6145 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.