Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6125
View in linear mode

Subject: "Automatic 100 % view_Nikonian Podcast 134" Previous topic | Next topic
sazerac_the_dog Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Jan 2009Tue 22-Feb-11 03:04 AM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Automatic 100 % view_Nikonian Podcast 134"

US

I just finished listening to the Image Doctors podcast 134 where they discuss image sharpening. At the end they described a special method to get a quick 100 5 view on the display. It involved presssing the center OK button. They didn't specifically mention the camera.

I e-mailed Rick Walker and he wasn't sure how to do this in the D-7000 but thought it would work. I have found nothing in the manual and pushed every combination of OK and others and nothing happened. I wonder if anyone has heard the podcast and tried to copy this method.

Thanks

David

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Automatic 100 % view_Nikonian Podcast 134
elec164 Silver Member
22nd Feb 2011
PAStime Silver Member
22nd Feb 2011
elec164 Silver Member
22nd Feb 2011
donfaulk Silver Member
23rd Feb 2011
PAStime Silver Member
23rd Feb 2011
elec164 Silver Member
23rd Feb 2011
Captain Rich Silver Member
24th Feb 2011
PAStime Silver Member
24th Feb 2011

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 22-Feb-11 11:58 AM
1980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Automatic 100 % view_Nikonian Podcast 134"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I believe this has been referenced in earlier posts on this forum, and that feature is not available on the D7000 as it is on the more pro bodies.

Actually it’s been quite some time since I played around with the camera LCD resolution and zoom ratios, but I seem to remember in all my testing and calculating that exact 100% zoom was not achievable with my D80 or the D7000. But it was only an educated guesses in that Nikon does not really give adequate information regarding the screen resolution or zoom settings (at least not for me they don’t).

Pete

Pete

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Tue 22-Feb-11 12:53 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Automatic 100 % view_Nikonian Podcast 134"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

I too remember hearing that in the podcast and thought to myself "I don't believe I have that feature on my D90; it is only on the higher up models".

On my D90, pushing the OK button once zoomed in returns the view to full screen. Also, while zoomed in, rotating the rear command dial moves to the next or previous image while maintaining the zoomed in view - very handy when assessing a series of similar images.

It would be interesting to figure out how many "zoom in" button pushes it takes to get a 100% view on the rear LCD.

Peter

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 22-Feb-11 02:33 PM
1980 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Automatic 100 % view_Nikonian Podcast 134"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 22-Feb-11 02:48 PM by elec164

US

>It would be interesting to figure out how many "zoom
>in" button pushes it takes to get a 100% view on the rear
>LCD.
>

Well thanks to this thread I think I may have come closer to a resolution on this.

The manual states the display at 921k-dots VGA display. I always wondered what Nikon meant by dots and I now believe they mean LCD segments. One standard for VGA display is 640x480 pixels. A LCD segment is 3 times high as it is wide. If we use the VGA definition and times the pixel wide side by 3 (640x3=1920) then times that with the height (480) we come up with 921,600 LCD segments. So it appears the LCD may be 640x480 pixels or approximately 266 PPI.

I took an image of a ruler and compared the camera display with the same image in PS on my computer. As closely as I could compare and count pixels, it appears that 6 press of the zoom button brings you just under, or perhaps at 100% view.

Edited to add:
The testing was done on the D7000. One would need to check the D90 to see how the zoom would equate.

Pete

Pete

donfaulk Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Aug 2009Wed 23-Feb-11 02:15 AM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Automatic 100 % view_Nikonian Podcast 134"
In response to Reply # 2

Madison, US

<It would be interesting to figure out how many "zoom in" button pushes it takes to get a 100% view on the rear LCD.>

Although I've never personally checked to see if this info is "spot on", Simon Stafford discusses this (for the D90) in the Nikon D90 Magic Lantern Guide. He says that the maximum magnification of a Large-sized image is 400%. So to examine the image at 100% (actual pixel level) one has only to press the magnify button until the maximum size is reached. Then press the de-magnify button twice. This doesn't hold for medium and small image sizes.

Since this probably doesn't apply to other camera models - all the more reason to stick with the D90 :>)

Don F.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Wed 23-Feb-11 12:22 PM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Automatic 100 % view_Nikonian Podcast 134"
In response to Reply # 4

Kingston, CA

Thanks Pete and Don for the replies.

Pete, your experiment motivated me to investigate this too.

I took a picture of a ruler with my D90. I then brought it into Photo Mechanic and viewed the image. I then duplicated that view on my D90 rear display. At the various zoom settings the view in Photo Mechanic was almost identical to the view on the D90 rear display. Here is a summary:

4 button presses: 100% view
6 button presses: 200% view
7 button presses: 400% view
8 button presses (maximum): 800% view

The D90 manual says that the zoom button during playback will show up to 27x when viewing large images. I had my camera set to RAW image quality. I calculated 31x in my shot of the ruler - close enough.

Cheers,
Peter

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 23-Feb-11 03:13 PM
#6. "RE: Automatic 100 % view_Nikonian Podcast 134"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Pete, your experiment motivated me to investigate this too.
>
>4 button presses: 100% view
>6 button presses: 200% view
>7 button presses: 400% view
>8 button presses (maximum): 800% view
>

Thanks Don and Peter for your thoughts on this.

Don, you bring up a valid point in that I was using a full rez image for my testing. A medium and small image required one less press respectively (5 and 4 presses) to achieve what I believe to be about a 100% view.

And Peter, I guess we have to define what 100% view we are trying to achieve. To me 100% view means that one image pixel is being represented by one screen pixel. The only way to view actual pixels is to view the image at 100% view (or I imagine greater than 100% in even increments) to avoid any interpolation.

To do that you need to know the native resolution of the display, and that’s why I always wondered what Niknon’s “approximately 230k dots” for the D80 and “approximately 921K dots” for the D7000 meant. I now seem to think it means LCD segments which would give a pixel array of 640x480 (1920x480 LCD segment array) for the display on the D7000 (or any camera using that 3” display) or about 266 PPI.

A computer monitor has a much larger array and area for display with a lower PPI. So if you compare the amount of image displayed on your monitor at a given percent view it will not directly relate to what percent view is being represented by the camera preview. For instance at 100% view on my 20” 4:3 ratio 86 PPI monitor, giving as much real estate in PS as I could, would display about 1140 pixels of the image width. That amount of image displayed on the camera LCD would require about a 56% view I believe. Or to put it another way, to equate the amount of image displayed I would need to use 178% view on my PC to equal the six presses of zoom on the camera LCD which I believe to be 100% view. The amount of image displayed on your computer monitor is dependent on the size of the screen and output resolution of the graphics adapter. So in that regard, the amount of zoom I require to equate the camera display might be different than what you needed.

In contrast to equating amount of image displayed, what I used PS for was to count pixels. Thinking the D7000 LCD was 640 pixels wide at native resolution, I set guides in PS that would represent 640 pixels of image, and I then zoomed the camera preview in until it displayed as closely as possible the amount of image contained within the guides. And in that regard I feel the cameras 100% view is a better and a more realistic enlargement for the viewing distance for assessment for sharpness then your computer monitor is, if indeed the resolution is 266 PPI.

The 640 pixel display width resolution seemed to also be supported by the Magic Lanterns 400% full zoom statement if I am working all this out correctly. The D7000 manual states a 31x enlargement at full zoom for a large image, which would result in a pixel width of about 159 pixels. 400% view means 4 screen pixels represent one image pixel. A quarter of the LCD display resolution would be 160 pixels, which seemed to correlate with Nikon’s 31x enlargement.

But ultimately I guess we need to be careful not to get caught up in the minutia of calculation, and just use what works for us. Bottom line is that the D7000 does not have the feature of automatic one press zoom as the more Pro bodies do. Never having used such a feature I have no idea what that one press would represent. But I did find this discussion helpful, hopefully others did also.

Pete

Pete

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Thu 24-Feb-11 12:56 AM
1179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Automatic 100 % view_Nikonian Podcast 134"
In response to Reply # 6

Savannah, US

I don't know about the later bodies, but the D200 has this feature. And it rocks! You program one button to zoom to 100% from the center of the multi-selector. Wish the D7000 had it, because I found it VERY useful.

Rich

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Thu 24-Feb-11 01:38 AM
#8. "RE: Automatic 100 % view_Nikonian Podcast 134"
In response to Reply # 6

Kingston, CA

>And Peter, I guess we have to define what 100% view we are
>trying to achieve. To me 100% view means that one image pixel
>is being represented by one screen pixel.

Oh ####, I didn't think that through. You are right. I need to redo my experiment. I'm off shortly on a one week business trip. Will be back... Peter

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6125 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.