Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6119
View in linear mode

Subject: "Just getting started with Raw and D7000 - feedback" Previous topic | Next topic
Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Mon 21-Feb-11 11:22 PM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just getting started with Raw and D7000 - feedback"

US

I recently bought a D7000 and I'm playing around with taking photos in RAW and learning how to adjust images using Apple Aperture.

Here is a shot I took today of our 9 week old. Any feedback regarding the picture, including my editing, or what I can do/edit to make it better, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Rickwsmith.com/blog
@RickSmith

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Just getting started with Raw and D7000 - feedback
luckyphoto Silver Member
22nd Feb 2011
Rick_Smith
22nd Feb 2011
Rick_Smith
22nd Feb 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
22nd Feb 2011
Rick_Smith
22nd Feb 2011
luckyphoto Silver Member
22nd Feb 2011
Rick_Smith
22nd Feb 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
24th Feb 2011
Rick_Smith
24th Feb 2011
amolsan
01st Apr 2011

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Tue 22-Feb-11 12:00 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Just getting started with Raw and D7000 - feedback"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Hi - for a start try the color Auto-Level tool, increase saturation a bit, then put a vignette around the photo and burn the lips a bit to make them darker red.

Those are simple enhancements, but I'm sure some of the real Aperture and PhotoShop craftsmen can provide you with more specific suggestions.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Tue 22-Feb-11 12:18 AM
88 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Just getting started with Raw and D7000 - feedback"
In response to Reply # 1

US

>Hi - for a start try the color Auto-Level tool, increase
>saturation a bit, then put a vignette around the photo and
>burn the lips a bit to make them darker red.
>
>Those are simple enhancements, but I'm sure some of the real
>Aperture and PhotoShop craftsmen can provide you with more
>specific suggestions.

Thanks... I made a few of your suggested changes Thoughts?

Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Tue 22-Feb-11 12:27 AM
#3. "RE: Just getting started with Raw and D7000 - feedback"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Heres a 3rd shot..

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Tue 22-Feb-11 03:04 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Just getting started with Raw and D7000 - feedback"
In response to Reply # 3

Warsaw, US

I like number 2 the best, except the enhancement to the lips. they don't look natural. Everything else looks good.

Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Tue 22-Feb-11 03:05 AM
#5. "RE: Just getting started with Raw and D7000 - feedback"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks! So you think I should just take the burn off of them?

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Tue 22-Feb-11 03:36 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Just getting started with Raw and D7000 - feedback"
In response to Reply # 5

Port Charlotte, US

In hindsight the darkening the lips might have been a bit much. I'll take the heat for that since it was my idea.

The second of the new batch looks good. A little more color in the head sets it off more from the light background.

It's getting there.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Tue 22-Feb-11 04:04 PM
#7. "RE: Just getting started with Raw and D7000 - feedback"
In response to Reply # 6

US

here's another one, with some cropping..

Thoughts on this one?

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Thu 24-Feb-11 11:17 AM
465 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Just getting started with Raw and D7000 - feedback"
In response to Reply # 7

Lafayette, US

Rick, My first thoughts are from a grandfather who doesn't get to see his grandson often enough. It has nothing to do with photography. Well maybe a little....

You are going to have a wonderful time taking pictures of that boy as he grows and matures.

As for the picture, I would have taken it at a higher angle, unless I was trying to distort his belly for a reason. I find that angle and closeness makes it hard to show the baby's features well. The position of the camera will, in my opinion, foreshorten and widen his stomach.

A baby's best features are his/her large head and eyes. I would normally try to emphasize them. Also, and I am being picky here, if he was wearing a different shirt, he might have better contrast with the wall. I found the wall colors and his Superman tee to clash.

I think the post enhancements went well. There was an improvement in contrast between number one and two shots.

Enjoy your son!

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

Rick_Smith Registered since 08th Jan 2011Thu 24-Feb-11 08:13 PM
#9. "RE: Just getting started with Raw and D7000 - feedback"
In response to Reply # 8
Thu 24-Feb-11 08:54 PM by briantilley

US

Hey thanks for the feedback! One of the main reasons I got into the hobby was so our parents could see pictures of their grandson! we bought our father-in law a Kodak Pulse for Christmas where we could send him pictures over the internet. He gets a BLAST out of seeing new pictures on there a few times a week!

I was using a 35 1.8 on those pictures. So I had to get in pretty close. Would you suggest a different lens to get the angle you were talking about?

amolsan Registered since 14th Mar 2011Fri 01-Apr-11 09:49 AM
31 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Just getting started with Raw and D7000 - feedback"
In response to Reply # 9

IN

Hey Rick,

That was a cute Pic.
I also use 35mm 1.8G. Getting closer is good. You can also experiment with cropping the image and doing PP. I am using Aperture(still on the starting points of the learning curve !).
Do you have kit lens-like the 18-105 ? I am happy with it for close shots for a starter.
Happy Clicking.
Amol

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6119 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.