Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6115
View in linear mode

Subject: "What should my concern's be now !!" Previous topic | Next topic
SurfHunter Registered since 18th Jan 2011Mon 21-Feb-11 09:00 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What should my concern's be now !!"

US

Hello All,

I turned my camera over to my friends wife (who use's a D40) so that she can try it out with my new 35mm 1.8 lens.

Problem: I guess she was trying to take a couple of pictures in Manual mode without setting the lens to manual.

Now, I've read in the manual that trying to shoot this way can harm your camera.. How can I tell if any damage may have been done to it from trying to shhot this way?

All seems fine.. But, I'm a straight up novice learning everyday, I would know what to look for.

All advise is welcome..

Now, I've learned not to share my toys..;}

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: What should my concern's be now !!
SnapSnapSnap
21st Feb 2011
SurfHunter
21st Feb 2011
Chooch88
25th Feb 2011
jmiguez Silver Member
25th Feb 2011
elec164 Silver Member
25th Feb 2011

SnapSnapSnap Registered since 08th Nov 2010Mon 21-Feb-11 09:21 PM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What should my concern's be now !!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Manual mode on your dial only affects the settings the camera uses (aperture, shutter-speed etc). The manual setting on the lens means that auto-focus is disabled. If you are using the AF-S 1.8 35mm Nikkor/Nikon, the auto-focus allows you to make manual adjustments while staying in AF mode... so basic logic says its designed to be okay with manual fidgeting.

Unless what you described above doesn't match my first paragraphy, you should be fine.

If you are using a different lens and it gives you resistance when you try and turn the manual focus ring in AF mode... you're more likely to hurt the lens than the camera, as far as I can tell.

Your really in danger if you let someone CHANGE lens' for you (i.e. if they know less than you about how to do so) and its not good to leave the camera powered on when you change lenses.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

SurfHunter Registered since 18th Jan 2011Mon 21-Feb-11 09:34 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What should my concern's be now !!"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 21-Feb-11 09:35 PM by SurfHunter

US

The Dial mode was set to manual, camera body set to AF and the lens
was set to M/A.

Yes, That is my only lens at the moment and the lens used. Maybe I should "RTFM" again. I remember it saying something like it could harm the camera if used this way.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Chooch88 Registered since 14th Jan 2009Fri 25-Feb-11 10:38 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What should my concern's be now !!"
In response to Reply # 2

Ottawa, CA

Based on what you're describing you set the camera to manual mode which just means that you set the aperture and shutter speed manually. This has nothing to do with your lens autofocus setting being on or off. Seems to me you have nothing to worry about.

jmiguez Silver Member Nikonian since 17th Oct 2010Fri 25-Feb-11 11:17 AM
472 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What should my concern's be now !!"
In response to Reply # 1

Lafayette, US

>Manual ... and its
>not good to leave the camera powered on when you change
>lenses.

Snap, snap - could you or someone else expand on this statement. I have never worried if the camera was on or off while changing lenses. My initial thoughts are, Surely modern cameras are idiot proof in this manner? However, I could be wrong. I would be interested in knowing what can happen to the camera or lens, if left on while changing lenses.?

Also, to the OP. I also recall reading something in the manual about turning the auto focus, (the switch on the bottom left, next to the lens) to manual if you set the lens to manual. I assume this is the stop the lens and camera from fighting each other.

The 35mm 1.8 DX lens, like most newer lenses allows manual override in adjusting focus, while in auto focus mode on the camera. Your camera and lens should be fine.

John

My Pictures may be seen here: http://jmiguez.smugmug.com/

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Fri 25-Feb-11 12:36 PM
1987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: What should my concern's be now !!"
In response to Reply # 4

US

>>Manual ... and its
>>not good to leave the camera powered on when you change
>>lenses.
>
>Snap, snap - could you or someone else expand on this
>statement.

The manual also clearly states “Be sure the camera is off when removing or exchanging lenses” (page 26).

Lenses and cameras now have sensitive electronic components that could be potentially damaged by power surges. There is a potential for such surges or shorts when exchanging lenses. Although I (as well as others I imagine) have accidentally changed lenses while forgetting to turn off the camera without ill affect, but why take the chance if you do not need to.

Also I must ashamedly admit I never read the part about switching the camera M/A switch to M when switching the lens to M. I never did and have not experienced any ill affect that I know of. I wonder if that advice pertains more to screw-drive rather than AF-S lenses that have a manual position also like my Tamron 90mm Macro to prevent possible damage to the coupling and drive motor should the lens not properly decouple from the camera drive. Would be interested in hearing from someone more knowledgeable about why one needs to set the lens and camera body to M.

Pete

Pete

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6115 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.