Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6094
View in linear mode

Subject: "Interesting limitation of my" Previous topic | Next topic
luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 19-Feb-11 08:39 PM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Interesting limitation of my"

Port Charlotte, US

No, it's not sharpness or ISO noise. It's the self-timer mode. Thought you might get a chuckle out of this and yes, I know, there are ways around it.

I thought I would take a self portrait so I mounted the D7000 on a tripod and set it up for self-timer mode. The wall behind me was uniform with nothing to specifically focus on. The camera distance was about 4 feet from the focus point (my face).

I pushed the release half way down and heard the auto-focus motor run for a bit trying to get a focus point. Finally it settled on something and I saw the light flashing indicating that the timer had started. I jumped into the frame and the photo was taken.

It was totally out of focus. At that moment I realized that the focus is locked once the timer is started and doesn't continually focus until the photo is taken. I was not going to be able to push the release, get the camera to re-focus on me when I got in the frame and take the photo.

Three important lessons learned today:

1. Continuous focus doesn't apply to the self-timer.
2. You really can't be in two places at the same time!
3. I really should have one of those little remote triggers!

Have a great day.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Interesting limitation of my
briantilley Moderator
19th Feb 2011
Aberration Art
20th Feb 2011
PAStime Silver Member
21st Feb 2011
mdallie Silver Member
24th Feb 2011
d7000808
24th Feb 2011

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 19-Feb-11 08:49 PM
28735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Interesting limitation of my"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

One way around this (without having to use a remote release) is to place an object of some kind where the subject is going to be, focus on it, remove the object and switch the camera and/or lens to manual focus. Then use the self-timer delay as normal

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Aberration Art Registered since 09th Feb 2011Sun 20-Feb-11 08:59 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Interesting limitation of my"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have had this problem in the past as well, and from then on decided to use MF for self portraits. Another thing you can try doing however is changing the focus points to where you will be standing in the frame.

PAStime Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Feb 2009Mon 21-Feb-11 02:59 AM
2669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Interesting limitation of my"
In response to Reply # 0

Kingston, CA

Hmmmm... Same as on my D90. I have a wireless and infrared remote and use them so never encountered this. I wonder why they designed it that way? I guess the logic is that you would want to set focus when you are composing, and you are only composing when looking through the viewfinder. Peter

mdallie Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Jan 2011Thu 24-Feb-11 02:04 AM
228 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Interesting limitation of my"
In response to Reply # 3

Novi, US

I've usually done this with me and my significant other, and focused on her as I started the timer, but have always worried about it. I did find that the remote trigger was only $19. I couldn't believe it, and it works GREAT! But I always wondered: does it focus when I hit the remote, or only when I first set it up?

Mike

d7000808 Registered since 10th Dec 2010Thu 24-Feb-11 04:36 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Interesting limitation of my"
In response to Reply # 4

US

A my composition did not change I wondered the same thing using my remote. Now I know, Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6094 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.