Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6012
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flying Donuts" Previous topic | Next topic
rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Wed 16-Feb-11 06:13 PM
1411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flying Donuts"

Denver, US

I've used a catchy title to lure folks in. The attached photo has me curious as to what would cause the "Flying Donut" effect. The donuts are a flock of geese in the background. As you can see, they have been rendered as hollow circles, rather than as solid objects. Since I took the photo with a D7000, I thought I'd post here. The settings were D7000, 70-200 VII lens and the new TC2.0III at f8, 1/2500, -1.3EV and ISO 320. I was facing SW at 4:45PM. One dozen of Dunkin' Donuts finest for the correct answer. Richard

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flying Donuts
gkaiseril Gold Member
16th Feb 2011
chris_platt Silver Member
16th Feb 2011
TakeTwo Silver Member
16th Feb 2011
Robman3
16th Feb 2011
wwt67 Silver Member
16th Feb 2011
rbsandor Gold Member
16th Feb 2011
mklass Platinum Member
16th Feb 2011

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 16-Feb-11 06:23 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flying Donuts"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 16-Feb-11 07:01 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Bokeh! The geese are further than the far acceptable focus distance for the focused distance, part of DOF, so they become part of the Bokeh or area beyond the far acceptable focus point and appear out of focus.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

chris_platt Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Apr 2009Wed 16-Feb-11 07:57 PM
751 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flying Donuts"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 16-Feb-11 07:59 PM by chris_platt

Newburg, US

Interesting. Maybe that is what Thom Hogan was talking about:

"Are there times when it shifts where it imparts a change to the image quality other than pure stabilization? I believe there are, though the impact is visually subtle. Some of the mid-range distance bokeh of certain VR lenses appears to be impacted by VR being on. Put another way, the background in the scene is slightly moving differently than the focus point in the optical path. This results in what I call "busy bokeh," or bokeh that doesn't have that simple shape and regularity we expect out of the highest quality glass."

http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm

Visit my gallery.

TakeTwo Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jul 2009Wed 16-Feb-11 08:40 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flying Donuts"
In response to Reply # 2

South Lake Tahoe, US

I too have your exact setup. I noticed the Bokeh to be more exaggerated while using the tcIII. Try it without and you will see what I mean. It looks more like the iris circle of the lens is some of my images. I really think I can count the aperture blades in some of my Bokeh images. Can someone explain that to me please. Also the CA is much more pronounced. But that setup still focuses very fast in good light and is tack sharp.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Wed 16-Feb-11 09:10 PM
1759 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Flying Donuts"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

Bokeh, with the long lens and extension.

These plants in the foreground usually are seen on roads and in fields at higher elevations.

Not sure what they are called but this shot may well be near Denver, or somewhere east of the range???

wwt67 Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2010Wed 16-Feb-11 09:58 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flying Donuts"
In response to Reply # 0

Warsaw, US

Geese? I think it may be the source of the mysterious lights over AZ several years ago.

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Wed 16-Feb-11 10:08 PM
1411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Flying Donuts"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Hi Folks: thanks for all the replies. Bokeh does render objects such as Christmas lights, brightly lit leaves etc as bright circles and we're evidently seeing the same thing here. I was surprised though, to see the geese rendered as dark, hollow circles however.
Robman3-the plants are commonly called Mullen or Flannel Plant. They are a very successful invader here in Denver as well as elsewhere in the West.
The donut winner is GKaiseril. Please call when you're next in Denver. Richard

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 16-Feb-11 10:34 PM
5862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Flying Donuts"
In response to Reply # 6

Tacoma, US

Now I know where the donuts go that keep "flying off my plate". I was afraid they were what was contributing to my weight. What a relief!

Mick
www.mickklassphoto.com

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #6012 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.