Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5953
View in linear mode

Subject: "Extended Warranty" Previous topic | Next topic
SurfHunter Registered since 18th Jan 2011Tue 15-Feb-11 03:05 PM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Extended Warranty"
Tue 15-Feb-11 03:07 PM by SurfHunter

US

Does anyone purchase the extended warranty for their Camera bodies?

is it better to purchase it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Extended Warranty
TomCurious
15th Feb 2011
billD80 Silver Member
15th Feb 2011
srosengard
16th Feb 2011
hawaii502160
15th Feb 2011
PakWaan
16th Feb 2011
SurfHunter
17th Feb 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
17th Feb 2011
rtg
17th Feb 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
17th Feb 2011
Chtimatin
17th Feb 2011

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Tue 15-Feb-11 07:21 PM
2318 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Extended Warranty"
In response to Reply # 0

Bay Area, US

Write down what the extended warranty costs, then deposit this amount into a savings account you open for just this purpose. Repeat this with every purchase of cameras, TVs, washing machines etc, and soon you will have plenty of money in there to cover any repairs or replacements. The insurance provider already did the math, so you can be sure the money you set aside will be more than enough to cover it. And the best part is, you will never have to deal with any claim forms.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

billD80 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Jan 2007Tue 15-Feb-11 08:50 PM
2141 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Extended Warranty"
In response to Reply # 1

US

The thing I HAVE gotten is a rider on my home policy, for theft and damage. The company I work with has been great on this (like when an U/W housing for a video camera was crushed by the airlines). Got all my money back, no worries...

I might consider an extended warranty on a car, but not on a camera (unless it was $25. a year)...

www.billkeane.zenfolio.com

srosengard Basic MemberWed 16-Feb-11 01:29 AM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Extended Warranty"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I have the same thing with my home owners, it cost only about 30.00 a year, this coupled with a savings account with the money you save from the extended warantee. But this is my opinion ONLY

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

hawaii502160 Registered since 11th Feb 2011Tue 15-Feb-11 10:51 PM
183 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Extended Warranty"
In response to Reply # 0

Cleveland, US

For me, an extended warranty always works like this:
If I didn't buy, I'll wish I had.
If I did buy it, I'll NEVER make use of it.
Go figure...

PakWaan Registered since 31st Dec 2004Wed 16-Feb-11 02:37 AM
44 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Extended Warranty"
In response to Reply # 3

Orlando, US

That's one nice thing about American Express - they automatically double the manufacturer's warranty on anything you charge on the card. Instant free extended warranty!

---------------------------

National Geographic photographers shoot an average of 10,000 to 35,000 photos to get the 15-20 that appear in a feature article. Keep shooting!
National Geographic Photography FAQ

SurfHunter Registered since 18th Jan 2011Thu 17-Feb-11 02:17 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Extended Warranty"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Yeah, That's how it is for me aswell.

>For me, an extended warranty always works like this:
>If I didn't buy, I'll wish I had.
>If I did buy it, I'll NEVER make use of it.
>Go figure...

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 17-Feb-11 02:01 PM
3148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Extended Warranty"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

I shop around (Google)for a MACK warranty.
I paid less than $70 for my D7000
I have sent stuff in several times and gotten them back about 2 days longer than to Nikon repair.
They actually sent them my GREY D2X when they could not repair it themselves.

rtg Registered since 27th Dec 2010Thu 17-Feb-11 04:38 PM
75 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Extended Warranty"
In response to Reply # 7
Thu 17-Feb-11 04:39 PM by rtg

US

The Mack warranty requires you to purchase it within 30 days of the camera purchase. The Nikon warranty cab be purchased anytime up to the last 90 days of the factory warranty.

Rob

If you are into boating checkout: www.SilvertonForums.com

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 17-Feb-11 05:04 PM
3148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Extended Warranty"
In response to Reply # 8

Monterey Bay, US

There are now MAC warranties for used equipment if you can find them.
The Nikon warranty is way more expensive.

Chtimatin Registered since 26th Jan 2011Thu 17-Feb-11 06:14 PM
#10. "RE: Extended Warranty"
In response to Reply # 9

FR

hi all,

it's always the same dilema to decide..

but yes, i purchased the extended warranty, because at first, I think this kind of electronic device is not 100% reliable. And at second, in the past, I had troubles with a 2 years old Sony camera. As the cost was too high, the extended warranty paid back the initial price of the camera…. so I was very glad to purchase a new one with many improvements !

best regards

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5953 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.