Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5940
View in linear mode

Subject: "Considering selling my D300 and getting D7000" Previous topic | Next topic
Chuckv Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2009Tue 15-Feb-11 01:55 AM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Considering selling my D300 and getting D7000"

Lafayette, US

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

I have in my bag a great set of lens, FX and DX and my two main cameras my D300 and D700. I have been giving a lot of thought to moving my D300 body and getting a D7000 body. Any of you out there made that move, and would you do it again??

Thanks,

Chuck

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Considering selling my D300 and getting D7000
RRRoger Silver Member
15th Feb 2011
fotoeye
15th Feb 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
15th Feb 2011
briantilley Moderator
15th Feb 2011
Chuckv Silver Member
15th Feb 2011
fotoeye
15th Feb 2011
Ramesses
19th Feb 2011
Len Shepherd Gold Member
19th Feb 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
19th Feb 2011

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 15-Feb-11 03:15 AM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Considering selling my D300 and getting D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Monterey Bay, US

The only disadvantage I can think of is that the size and the controls of the D7000 is less like the D700 than the D300.

I have used both and I personally would trade a D300 or D300s for a D7000 in a heartbeat.

fotoeye Registered since 20th Oct 2007Tue 15-Feb-11 11:54 AM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Considering selling my D300 and getting D7000"
In response to Reply # 1

Miami, US

I recently made that move, and although RRRoger is correct about size and build of the D7000 there are advantages.
First, I had tired of the D300 for shooting bif. It never reacted quickly enough for me so I looked at the D7000, read about it and bought it.
Then I saw noise, but soon learned that exposing more to the right corrected that. The one great thing about the D7000 is its color rendition. Hands down beats the D300 for that.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 15-Feb-11 01:46 PM
3136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Considering selling my D300 and getting D7000"
In response to Reply # 2
Tue 15-Feb-11 02:18 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>I recently made that move, and although RRRoger is correct
>about size and build of the D7000 there are advantages.

I like the size, build, and ergonomics better on the D7000 than the D300.

You actually need to go to the camera store and/or get your "hands on" both cameras before making up your mind about this.

I pre-ordered a D3100 because of "specs" and sent it back because it was to small and light for me.

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Tue 15-Feb-11 02:08 PM
28684 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Considering selling my D300 and getting D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Paignton, GB

I have not made that move, and have decided against it - I'm keeping my D300 and D700 for a while yet

My reasoning is that I don't really need more than 12MP for what I do, and I value the similarity in feel and control layout of the D300 and D700. Changing from the D300 to the D7000 would lose that, and would also prevent me from sharing batteries, chargers, grip and CF cards between the two.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Chuckv Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Mar 2009Tue 15-Feb-11 02:29 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Considering selling my D300 and getting D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Lafayette, US

Brian,

I really appreciate that thought, for I too enjoy the feel and changability of componets between the two. It's one of the things that are keeping me there, but others are pulling me over to the D7000. The input from all will help in making up my mind though....

Chuck

fotoeye Registered since 20th Oct 2007Tue 15-Feb-11 02:31 PM
29 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Considering selling my D300 and getting D7000"
In response to Reply # 4

Miami, US

>I have not made that move, and have decided against it - I'm
>keeping my D300 and D700 for a while yet
>
>My reasoning is that I don't really need more than 12MP for
>what I do, and I value the similarity in feel and control
>layout of the D300 and D700. Changing from the D300 to the
>D7000 would lose that, and would also prevent me from sharing
>batteries, chargers, grip and CF cards between the two.

You make good points about sharing, and the D700 is a fine full frame camera. I sold mine and got the D3s mostly for its very low light capabilities and I agree that 12mp is more than adequate. However, the D7000 utilizes a new processor which is what interested me, and is likely the reason for its good color. That said, had I owned the D300s instead of the D300 I wouldn't have switched to the D7000.

Ramesses Registered since 29th Mar 2007Sat 19-Feb-11 05:41 AM
2035 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Considering selling my D300 and getting D7000"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 19-Feb-11 05:42 AM by Ramesses

US

Hi Chuck:

Let me start by saying that it is a very personal decision and very hard to give advice. IMHO, there is no such thing as right or wrong. We are talking about very good cameras.

I had the D300 and I now have the Leica X1, D7000, and D700. I could not be happier with the D7K; it has become my go-to or main camera, but it is just me. I do not care that much for big and heavy cameras like the D700. However, the D700 is a very special camera – the best I’ve ever had. I have said many times that it is the camera I’ll take to my grave with me.

I love the size, weight, built, and feel of the D7K. With the DX 35mm f/1.8 mounted on the camera, it reminds me of my old Canon A1 and AE1 film cameras with the 50mm f/1.4 lens.

I sold the D300 and got the D5000 (I sold) for the same reasons. It did not make that much sense to me to have DX camera with almost the same size and weight of an FX camera.

IMHO, the D5000 was a cleaner camera inside than the D300. I believe that the D7K is a better camera than the D5K. However, if you are going to shoot inside, you have the D700; you are not taking the D300 - me thinks. Same thing with me; I’m taking the D700, inside, and not the D7K. Outside, I believe that it does not make much of a difference.

If you do not mind the size and weight of the D300 for a DX camera, why go for the D7K? As I stated before, to me the size and weight was the major consideration.

I took the D7K to Olvera Street in Los Angeles, last weekend. I used the 24mm f/1.4G and the 85mm f/1.8D. Olvera Street and “El Pueblo de Los Angeles” is the historical foundation of the city:

http://www.hektorsphotos.com/Travel-Photography/Los-Angeles/LA-Olvera-Street/15820793_SdNop

You you can compare your D300 photos with some sample photos taken with the D7K – it is the best I could do.

Best regards,

Hektor

A Nikonian in Kemet

My Blog: Hektors Blog
My Photo Album: Hektors Photos

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Sat 19-Feb-11 08:00 AM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Considering selling my D300 and getting D7000"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

That the D7000 can deliver higher resolution than a D300 or D700 and better video than the D300s should be clear.
I had a D300, D300s and D3s. I have the D7000 and the D300 is going up for sale.
The D7000 handles different to the D300/D3s, is not as robust, has lower fps etc - but apart from the D3x it is Nikon's highest resolving camera - with the bonus of a relatively low price.
It is also Nikon's best video camera.
Maybe in 12 months the D300/700/3s upgrades will be in the shops.
Right now however there are some useful gains trading a D300 for a D7000.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 19-Feb-11 01:21 PM
4184 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Considering selling my D300 and getting D7000"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat 19-Feb-11 01:24 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

>That the D7000 can deliver higher resolution than a D300 or
>D700 and better video than the D300s should be clear.
>I had a D300, D300s and D3s. I have the D7000 and the D300 is
>going up for sale.
>The D7000 handles different to the D300/D3s, is not as robust,
>has lower fps etc - but apart from the D3x it is Nikon's
>highest resolving camera - with the bonus of a relatively low
>price.
>It is also Nikon's best video camera.
>Maybe in 12 months the D300/700/3s upgrades will be in the
>shops.
>Right now however there are some useful gains trading a D300
>for a D7000.

I cheated and kept my D300 (and D700).

I love the video on the D7K and still image quality up to ISO 1000 is really good. In fact the dynamic range at base ISO exceeds that of the D3X according to DXoMark.

The D7K has a very short buffer, meaning your bursts can be neither long, nor heavy (10 raw shots).

The U1 and U2 absence of being able to change shooting mode (e.g. can't change from Aperture priority to Manual exposure) causes me a lot of grief. I would also have preferred U1 up to U4 and forget the Auto and Scene selections on the dial.

I like the size. Too bad about the battery and grip incompatibility. However the EN-EL15 goes forever and since there is no frame-rate boost I'll probably skip the grip. I now have a pipe dream that maybe the D800 will take the same grip as the D7000. But nah, that doesn't make sense, the D800 grip will need to be compatible battery-wise with the pro bodies.

AF seems good if not better for birds than the D300? I need to torture test it some more over the spring birding season to be really sure. AF in low-light theatre (based on limited experience) seems not as accurate as my D700.

I am mildly disappointed in IQ from ISO 1600 to 3200. Maybe 1/2-stop better than the D300? (I didn't plan to shoot this camera above 3200, I have the D700 for that.) I would love high ISO another stop better in a DX camera. Some people tell me that is not going to happen easily. Darn it. Maybe I'll go all FX one day then (which is a new thought for me), I am really not sure anymore. I like DX reach for birds and wildlife and if it were not for low-light I could be an all DX shooter.

I consider the D7000 a real bargain at this price. Likewise I'll probably be selling my D300, it is hardly getting any use.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5940 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.