Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5879
View in linear mode

Subject: "AF Fine tune settings query and shared results?" Previous topic | Next topic
Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sun 13-Feb-11 08:20 AM
1756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"AF Fine tune settings query and shared results?"
Sun 13-Feb-11 08:23 AM by Robman3

West of Santa Monica, US

Folks,

In reading the manual, the caution is to not use this because it may affect the ability of the lens to resolve. Page 246 "...is not recommended for most situations..."

That being said, I missed the vast and varied discussions here in board-land regarding the soft images, complaints, and kudos plus today, finally went word for word on Hogan's distillation review and etc.

In particular, I was reading the threads which came up in search for AF Fine Tune to some extent over the last couple of days.

Most of my D7K ownership (shooting) time has been spent rendering with the D3S and the D7K, then gleaning NLE's to purchase, navigating and establishing a business platform, positing content, and working on a piece about Death Valley which by design should be contextually refreshed.(there are a lot of DVNP images in them 'thar webs and books)

So all of this is making my question (perhaps) behind the curve.

For the D7K, do any of you have the (defined) settings demarcated for the usual AF lenses, the 18-105, 18-200, 24-70, 70-200?

Also, is there a comparative for settings using prime lenses, fixed and or AF (not just adjustable focal length zooms) such as the 50, 85, and 105?

Just curious, perhaps easier to ask those in DK7 mode, who have done the heavy lifting in case it would save time.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

walkerr Administrator Awarded for his con tributed articles published at the Resources Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in multiple areas Nikonian since 05th May 2002Sun 13-Feb-11 11:04 AM
14392 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: AF Fine tune settings query and shared results?"
In response to Reply # 0

Colorado Springs, US

AF fine tuning can be useful if you have a lens or body that isn't performing correctly, but it's not something you use by default. Because of that, the normal settings are zero for the body and zero for any lens. Even if you find someone else with fine tuning settings that work well for them, I would strongly advise against not using them for your particular camera or lenses. Do your own tuning if there's a problem and be careful and methodical doing it. Again, it's to handle outliers - not the norm.

Rick Walker

My photos:
GeoVista Photography

agitater Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2007Sun 13-Feb-11 12:33 PM
3956 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: AF Fine tune settings query and shared results?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I echo Rick's post. The vast majority of Nikon lenses and DSLR bodies provide precise focus point control for prime focal lengths and for zoom focal lengths. That's not surprising considering the considerable amounts of money we pay for all this gear.

AF Fine Tune adjustments are only appropriate for a body and lens combination that is inaccurate.

If you happen to have a Nikkor lens that appears to be out-of-spec, before doing an AF Fine Tune (which is laborious and time consuming) I strongly advise sending the lens to Nikon for recalibration.

I think AF Fine Tune with a zoom lens is a monumental waste of time because the process tends to fine tune an out-of-spec zoom at only one focal length. The process should be reserve for prime lenses only. Once again though, the need for AF Fine Tune is quite rare - as Rick stated, it's definitely not any sort of standard setup task for any Nikon DSLR or lens combination.

My Nikonians Gallery

Howard Carson, Managing Editor
Kickstartnews Inc. - http://www.kickstartnews.com

JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009Sun 13-Feb-11 02:49 PM
1327 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: AF Fine tune settings query and shared results?"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

I would echo what has already been said and add that most of the products on the internet to test focus accuracy appear to be flawed. Focus systems tend to be fooled by angled test charts with many small black lines all over it.

I own 8 lenses and a d7000. I have not needed to use AF fine tune on any of my lenses, no problem getting sharp photos.

Jason

Robman3 Registered since 12th Apr 2010Sun 13-Feb-11 06:22 PM
1756 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: AF Fine tune settings query and shared results?"
In response to Reply # 0

West of Santa Monica, US

Thanks to all 'yall.

Nebulous extremes and chatter then.

Anticipating AF Fine tune "adjustments" which the manual indicates are to be used with caution, there is concurrence, thanks to you for chiming in.

So far the lens correction tools in CNX2 and LR3 have some, little or no correction in PP which is good enough.

Nikon is a whole 20 minute drive from the house just in case calibration gets whacked.

Many thanks,

Rob

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon D7100, D7000 (Public) topic #5879 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.